Hacking Atmosphere to be estimated released in Summer 2018 for ALL firmwares.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So did the PS Vita? Oh wait it didnt.

Also - Sony put out what - four revisions of the PSP the time, makes you wonder why - if the market simply was saturated, because of piracy...

Dyer said the PSPgo was partly intended to answer the piracy problem, but admitted that gamers found it confusing and overpriced. "We wanted to find a way to give the consumers what they want, so if they didn't want to go to a retailer they could stay at home and download. And we were hoping really to eliminate the piracy issue," he said.

"Did the PSPgo confuse [consumers]? Yeah, I think the higher price point didn't help matters any either."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/psps-biggest-problem-is-piracy-sony

So he's are saying Sony played a role in this as well?

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

So did the PS Vita? Oh wait it didnt.

Also - Sony put out what - four revisions of the PSP the time, makes you wonder why - if the market simply was saturated, because of piracy...
Why do you guys keep bringing up the vita? I'm strictly talking about the original playstation portable. Aka, the psp. Not the psp vita. The psp. The psp died because of how easy it was to download anything and everything (cough cough, pirate.) the psp vita died for a entirely different reason. It died mostly for not having any appealing exclusives. And sony just flat out gave up on it and never supported it once the numbers of units sold started discouraging them. The psp is not the same as the psp vita. So I don't get why your bring it up. And if that's dissing. Then get out of your fanboy pants...

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Because if you look at the two as a non educated consumer, they practically appear to be the same. Its the same product, same concept, same mass appeal.

Also look at this:

comparison_chart.jpg

Piracy for PSP titles according to numbers some people "produced" - probably by skimming torrent tracker data, was about twice, to three times the issue on PSP, than it was on the DS.

Now correlate this with the fact, that PSP games where much larger, so torrent use would have been more prevelant, as supposed to DDL - which had to skew the data, so lets lower that percentage.

Then compare overall sales figures with the DS, and a more congruent image starts to emerge. So even though piracy was an undeniable issue - it didn't boost general audience, or high visibility title sales even close to DS figures.

Seems like people didn't take to the system, if you ask me.

But of course not, if you ask the industry: http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=73937|4
(Also the source of the graph above..)

edit: Also, if you believe that data, PSP downloads surpassed PC piracy numbers:
https://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

- by a factor of 2x on even the most niche titles, compaired to the most popular PC titles at the time - that also werent very successfull going forward (Phantay Star now is a dead franchise, Dissida had unsuccessfull sequels...), which seems a little odd...

edit2:

Torrentfreak has top PSP piracy DL data according to their metric for 2008 as well:
https://torrentfreak.com/psp-piracy-is-trending-up-despite-sonys-claims-081222/

Lets look at their metric:
Dissidia: Final Fantasy was downloaded 200,000 times via BitTorrent over the past 5 days, which is pretty significant for a PSP game. The two most pirated games for the PSP in 2008 were Final Fantasy VII and GTA Vice City Stories , with an estimated 650,000 and 550,000 downloads.

As a comparison, the average PSP game sells 133,000 copies.
(Average is an issue, if you compare it to the two top spot, but it seems to indicate a 2:1 ratio. Of pirated to bought.)

Lets take their Top 2 figures, and compare it to other console systems at the time (actually one year later, but hopefully that doesnt skew the metric too much).

Pirated copies in 2008 (PSP) and 2009 (all other systems) according to Torrentfreak torrent tracker data:

PSP
1 Final Fantasy VII (650,000)
2 GTA Vice City Stories (550,000)

Xbox 360:
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000)

Wii:
1 New Super Mario Bros. (1,150,000)
2 Punch-Out!! (950,000)

PC Games:
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (4,100,000)
2 The Sims 3 (3,200,000)

This seems to be more congruent with general system sales at the time. Lets hope the time windows were comparable. Now with lower system sales - percentage wise PSP piracy has to have been "more of a problem", but to argue - that it "killed" the PSP, when Sony still put out four revisions of the hardware, trying to compete in a "lost" market - doesnt seem to be the correct conclusion.

In fact, as an absolute number PSP Piracy seemed to fall in line with other system numbers at the time. Now the question becomes, how much of Piracy in general is "opportunity driven". (So - "how much" would it have scaled with system sales, if Sony had sold more base units.)

edit3: Xbox 360 and PSP had comparable global lifetime sales for hardware, apparently (- so we dont even have to "scale up" the PSP numbers to do that comparison):

7 Xbox 360 (X360) 85.80 Million
[...]
9 PlayStation Portable (PSP) 80.82 Million

edit: NDS sales figures for comparison:
2 Nintendo DS (DS) 154.90 Million

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

So lets put this into perspective again.

Torrentfreak data suggests, that PSP piracy was "at expected levels" for top titles. Industry data would like to indicate, that Piracy in selected niche series titles, which became derelicts in the future, was 4x to 7x higher than Torrentfreak indicated for the top titles on the system - which is very odd. But also, according to Torrentfreak, comparative values were in line with other console systems at the time. One of which had very similar lifetime sales.

The industrys public NDS piracy data we can safely ignore - as NDS games were populated via DDL at the time, which they had no real insight into.

(But I can certainly tell you how it felt at the time, when everyone with a Flashcard had 60 games on their NDS "to go" compared to 4 on the PSP, because of storage space limitations... It also didn't seem like NDS piracy was 10x less popular, because you had to order a flashcart. They were ubiquitous, so was their advertising.)

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

Because if you look at the two as a non educated consumer, they practically appear to be the same. Its the same product, same concept, same mass appeal.

Also look at this:

comparison_chart.jpg

Piracy for PSP titles according to numbers some people "produced" - probably by skimming torrent tracker data, was about twice, to three times the issue on PSP, than it was on the DS.

Now correlate this with the fact, that PSP games where much larger, so torrent use would have been more prevelant, as supposed to DDL - which had to skew the data, so lets lower that percentage.

Then compare overall sales figures with the DS, and a more congruent image starts to emerge. So even though piracy was an undeniable issue - it didn't boost general audience, or high visibility title sales even close to DS figures.

Seems like people didn't take to the system, if you ask me.

But of course not, if you ask the industry: http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=73937|4
(Also the source of the graph above..)

edit: Also, if you believe that data, PSP downloads surpassed PC piracy numbers:
https://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

- by a factor of 2x on even the most niche titles, compaired to the most popular PC titles at the tame - that also werent very successfull going forward (Phantay Star now is a dead franchise, Dissida had unsuccessfull sequels...), which seems a little odd...
I think we misunderstood each other. Because that was what I was trying to get across... lol, whoops. But yah, the psp died mostly because of pirating.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At best they may be able to get away with cart games. But playing a eshop title that you dont own is basically a guarantee for a ban.

I'm interested in CFW as well as avoiding piracy. That's my biggest worry. Not because I plan to pirate games, but I want to pay for the online service, and use it as intended while having the extra features that CFW brings and not get banned for supporting the Switch. Of course Nintendo has the right to ban CFW users simply because it's their system and it's an obvious gateway towards piracy. I'm going to be patient about it since I'm just updating my system as they come out since I originally planned to avoid exploits so it's not a big deal if I can't have it, but man Nintendo consoles with CFW just adds so much extra functionality. Especially translation patches, which is amazing since the Switch is already region free. The 3DS is a perfect example of how CFW should be done. NTR streaming so you don't need an expensive mod, region free to play imported carts (Obviously not an issue on Switch), translation patches, etc. The day I can play MHXX on Switch in English online without any chance of getting banned for doing it and playing and paying/using for their service will make me pretty damn happy.

Last edited by Selim873,
Reactions: Milad

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
I put my Switch back in its box, it's on 4.1, I finished Mario Odyssey and Golf Story and I don't see anything coming in the near future that I want to play or haven't already played.

I'll crack the box back open when Atmosphere releases or TX drop the mod chip, which ever comes first.

Kipz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, if i was to buy a Switch at some point this summer (most likely late june / early july) would it theoretically still be usable for this exploit?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my Switch back in its box, it's on 4.1, I finished Mario Odyssey and Golf Story and I don't see anything coming in the near future that I want to play or haven't already played.

I'll crack the box back open when Atmosphere releases or TX drop the mod chip, which ever comes first.
Why box it up? Just keep it offline. I don't understand the concept of buying something and then not using it at all.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I guess if one were to use the money one had been saving for a TX chip, that individual would be able to put said funds toward a 512 GB SD card, because literal reasons.

"If you're looking for the ultimate in Switch storage space, you can't get any better than Integral's 512GB option. The thing is, you're going to have to pay a premium price as well. This sucker is £299.99, or roughly $426!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....