Homebrew Attempting first time softmod, nervous. Got a question or two.

dude of the gree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently received a couple of Gamecube Games and a controller. However, I lack a memory card. But, I've read theres a softmod that will allow the use of SD cards to save Gamecube game saves. However, as I've said, I'm very nervous about doing this.

1) How high is the danger of bricking your console if something goes wrong? Will the slightest mistake cause trouble?
2)In the event something does go wrong, will I be able to repair/salvage the Wii on my own?

Currently reading through the guides on this site, but I won't be attempting anything until I'm 100% sure nothing will go kaput.

Mister_Keevs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently received a couple of Gamecube Games and a controller. However, I lack a memory card. But, I've read theres a softmod that will allow the use of SD cards to save Gamecube game saves. However, as I've said, I'm very nervous about doing this.

1) How high is the danger of bricking your console if something goes wrong? Will the slightest mistake cause trouble?
2)In the event something does go wrong, will I be able to repair/salvage the Wii on my own?

Currently reading through the guides on this site, but I won't be attempting anything until I'm 100% sure nothing will go kaput.
To answer:

1) Soft modding simply spoofs your Wii into installing the Homebrew Channel (Using Smash Stack, etc.) You can simply remove the channel like any other Wii channel as you please.
2) If you do Softmod, find a guide to backup your NAND and Keys (plenty on the forums, you'll find one). Best and only way to salvage if something goes wrong.

To add to this, I've softmodded both my Wii and Wii U. Haven't had a single problem on either installation. If you have any more questions, ask away. Glad to help!

dude of the gree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! After failing to obtain a memory card after searching several shops in town, your post has given me a bit more confidence.

Looking though some guides, I've been seeing a lot of warnings how a 'SDHC' card will not work. This has me confused, though, whats the difference between an SD card marked with SDHC and other SD cards in this context?

Edit: Also, a lot of guides don't mention, how much space would I need in order to backup my NAND and keys? The only card I have not in use at the moment is 4 gigs.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant remember off the top of my head as to why you cant. but I do know that once you have the wii softmodded to your liking you can always remove the small sd card and copy the contents and channels to a sdhc card so that you can store rom files from snes, nes, gba, gensis depends if you installed the channels for those emulators. cause a 2gb sd card wont hold that many you can get a 8gb sdhc after you are done softmodding so you can store lots of roms.

when I first tried to softmod I went to a pawnshop and bought a wii for $50 so I didn't risk messing up my wii I paid $200 for when they first came out. I figured if I messed up a $50 wii no big deal now if I messed up my $200 wii I would be really upset.

dude of the gree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After carefully taking the correct steps, the homebrew channel has been installed and I've successfully backed up my NAND and keys :) thank you for the advice, with the most important part over with my nerves have settled down.

The only down side is since the screens go black for a bit to load the next screen, I have a minor heart attack and think something went wrong XD but I'll get used to that over time, thanks again.

Mister_Keevs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After carefully taking the correct steps, the homebrew channel has been installed and I've successfully backed up my NAND and keys :) thank you for the advice, with the most important part over with my nerves have settled down.

The only down side is since the screens go black for a bit to load the next screen, I have a minor heart attack and think something went wrong XD but I'll get used to that over time, thanks again.
No problem! Also, I'd recommend trying DIOS MIOS for GameCube games (you need a USB hard drive). It does have NMM, which is pretty much what you described (Memory Card Emulation)

dude of the gree

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, DIOS MIOS is what I'm currently using for memory card emulation. I've installed the first game onto the USB, but I'm getting strange errors. The first game seems to be working fine so far, currently testing it. The second game will allow me to attempt to create a save file, but then gives the error "there is no memory card in slot A" regardless, even though it "detects" a memory card at first. The third game also allows me to attempt to create a save file, but then claims "the memory card is not the same card the save data was loaded from" (even though there is no save data being loaded).

I've made sure the versions of DIOS MIOS and USB Loader I have are the latest versions (2.10 and v70r65 respectively).

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. I'll still be using DIOS MIOS for the first game, but for the second and third games I've resorted to using Devolution instead, as they aren't compatible with DIOS MIOS's NMM. Thank you for the help, and merry christmas :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3