PS1/2 Back-ups/Imports still black and white with SCART cable

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Made a thread months ago, near the end of it I mentioned how I had a chipped PS1 that ran back ups and imports, but they were in black and white.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/chipped-ps2-ps1-games-reading-as-audio-cds.367688/page-2#post-5041216

It was suggested I get a SCART cable, so I went to play-asia (link to the product in the above thread) and after a bunch of crap with other items I wanted being out of stock and me having to replace them, I finally get it only recently. And these games still play in black and white. I've tried legit NTSC and NTSC-J games, neither are coloured. Legit PAL games are, though (it's a PAL PS1). To my memory I've never used one of these things so I could be connecting it incorrectly but that doesn't really seem likely. I just plug in the PS1 and plug the chunky bit with the pins at the back of the TV. Unless I absolutely have to use those red/white/yellow plugs for something. Is this just one of those SCARTs that's composite-only? Is there a way of telling?

I'm pretty sure it isn't the TV. It's the same TV I play imports/back ups of PS2 games on and they run in full colour.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm afraid that chances are this *is* your TV's fault - you need one that can handle PAL and NTSC and a grayscale picture is the first sign that it does not.

Try connecting the yellow (composite video), red and white wires and re-try, also double-check the video mode.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
one that can handle PAL and NTSC and a grayscale picture is the first sign that it does not.

Not if using RGB. Long as it supports 60Hz, then it doesn't matter whether the tv can handle ntsc colour encoding or not, because over RGB, it's not using it.

Cable is probably not wired for RGB/Socket not wired for RGB.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As mentioned above, it's possible that the SCART cable you have is merely a pass-through for standard composite video and not actual RGB SCART.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm afraid that chances are this *is* your TV's fault - you need one that can handle PAL and NTSC and a grayscale picture is the first sign that it does not.

Would it do that if NTSC PS2 games play in colour? I got a SNES converter recently and the NTSC-J games run colourfully too. I'm not going to rule out that the problem could be my TV, but I didn't think it could be inconsistent depending on console. This house has more than one CRT so I'll see if I can screw around with another one.

I was worried that the SCART wouldn't actually be the kind of one I needed.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would it do that if NTSC PS2 games play in colour? I got a SNES converter recently and the NTSC-J games run colourfully too. I'm not going to rule out that the problem could be my TV, but I didn't think it could be inconsistent depending on console. This house has more than one CRT so I'll see if I can screw around with another one.

I was worried that the SCART wouldn't actually be the kind of one I needed.

PS2 might have had a colour fix applied (forces it to stay in PAL, rather than output NTSC).
SNES is outputting PAL. PAL SNES always outputs PAL colour encoding, no matter where the game is from.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i had a pal ps2 and a pal tv (my tv was old enough to just have antena and scart)

ntsc games were black and white using the normal composite cable (with the vga to scart adapter) i had bought a scart cable (it was rgb) and ntsc games appeared normal
the cable made my games all a lot darker but i guess that was normal because normal yellow cable doesn't have much color range...

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried it without SCART on a few more TVs, including one that has NTSC settings, none of which worked. I put on DVD now that has my region and went through the NTSC settings and the DVD video changed colour. So yeah, probably not the TV. I feel like I should maybe message play-asia, given that they called it a RGB SCART cable. Then again I don't know what that might even do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn