Hacking Backing Up FPKG Games

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to free up storage space on my jailbroke ps4 by deleting some fpkg games, but I want to make a copy before deleting them. Can I just copy their app.pkg in /user/app directory to usb drive?

DariusEvans

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
use app2usb to do that

it will copy all your game on a hdd/usb key in exfat format for ya after that you can remove them from the cusa folder to put them where ya want them. that what i did when i decided to backup all my game on my NAS

Reactions: randy_w

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that works, but Lapy made Easy PKG Extractor (lapygames . wordpress . com) that does just this as well.
Great. I'll try Easy PKG Extractor. BTW does it extract those backport patches?

use app2usb to do that

it will copy all your game on a hdd/usb key in exfat format for ya after that you can remove them from the cusa folder to put them where ya want them. that what i did when i decided to backup all my game on my NAS
Thanks for your recommendation, but do you know if those backport patches are also copied to usb drive?

CybeX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. I'll try Easy PKG Extractor. BTW does it extract those backport patches?

I'm not sure to be honest. I see he added options to export the following combos, but I don't see anything said about backports particular.
  • PKG+Patch+DLCs
  • PKG+Patch
  • PKG+DLCs
  • Patch+DLCs
  • PKG only
  • Patch only
  • DLCs only
I *THINK* that backports work as follows and your answer would be yes:
  • My understanding is if it's a base game that's backported with no patch updates. then a new fake patch update is created with just the backporting in it. So I would assume while using the tool you would be able to extract the base game and there would be a patch (where the patch is the backport).

• For games that do have patch updates the entire patch is backported, so when you extract you would see the base game pkg and a patch (which is the entire patch that was backported).
I haven't tried t to extract a backported game with it. Has anyone else or can anyone validate what I'm thinking?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure to be honest. I see he added options to export the following combos, but I don't see anything said about backports particular.
  • PKG+Patch+DLCs
  • PKG+Patch
  • PKG+DLCs
  • Patch+DLCs
  • PKG only
  • Patch only
  • DLCs only
I *THINK* that backports work as follows and your answer would be yes:
  • My understanding is if it's a base game that's backported with no patch updates. then a new fake patch update is created with just the backporting in it. So I would assume while using the tool you would be able to extract the base game and there would be a patch (where the patch is the backport).

• For games that do have patch updates the entire patch is backported, so when you extract you would see the base game pkg and a patch (which is the entire patch that was backported).
I haven't tried t to extract a backported game with it. Has anyone else or can anyone validate what I'm thinking?

you are correct. though, in some cases, the entire game is backported without a small patch included. I've yet to encounter a game that didn't work with a small bp patch, but there could be some, which is why I think some exist.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

if you're running out of room, I recommend this: https://www.newegg.com/model-wdba3a0050bbk-wesn-5tb/p/N82E16822234385?Item=N82E16822234385

I liked it enough to buy a second one for my nvidia shield.

I talked with @Hayato213 about this drive or rather the largest drive available that didn't need an external power supply. this may be it. I'm not sure. 5TB is a lot just powered through usb. neither the ps4 nor the the nvidia shield have issues with it. it's tiny too.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are correct. though, in some cases, the entire game is backported without a small patch included. I've yet to encounter a game that didn't work with a small bp patch, but there could be some, which is why I think some exist.

if you're running out of room, I recommend this: https://www.newegg.com/model-wdba3a0050bbk-wesn-5tb/p/N82E16822234385?Item=N82E16822234385

I liked it enough to buy a second one for my nvidia shield.

I talked with @Hayato213 about this drive or rather the largest drive available that didn't need an external power supply. this may be it. I'm not sure. 5TB is a lot just powered through usb. neither the ps4 nor the the nvidia shield have issues with it. it's tiny too.
Personally I don't like the idea of external drives, especially when you have multiple consoles and each of them need one external drive, your TV stand could look very messy.
Anyway, I think 5TB is the largest 2.5 inch HDD size, unless you want to drop like $800 to get an 8TB SSD. I once tried to squeeze a 5TB HDD inside my ps4, but it barely fits and I had to remove HDD caddy and loosen up some screws securing the metal plate. Didn't like the result so I returned the HDD and been using a 1TB SSD since. Turns out 1TB is enough for me, holds 20-30 games and SSD reduces loading time significantly.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ps4 requires the height be 9.5mm or less just like the ps3. I was unable to find an hdd that size that was larger than 2TBs. this is external hdd is small, so I assume they exist, but I'm not sure. it's not quite the size of a 2TB external hdd, but it's close. I don't have an external hdd for my cfw ps3, because the 1TB hdd is enough.

I know you can fit a 12.5mm (possibly larger) without the caddie. the 360 is the same, but if you're using a phat, you can bend these four metal tabs bag 'til they break off (possibly with just your fingers), then fit a 12.5mm inside. that's what I did, and my internal hdd has been running strong for about 12 years.

the hdd (1TB) that I installed in my new, legit ps3 is only 7mm, so there may be larger hdds (not sure).

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found some disassembly picture of the hard drive you mentioned, and it seems to be a 12.5mm drive but with sata to usb adapter built in. Also almost all 2.5 inch drives you can buy now are SMR drives. Have a seagate 1TB SMR drive in my ps3 and performance really sucks, so another reason to move to SSD lol.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found some disassembly picture of the hard drive you mentioned, and it seems to be a 12.5mm drive but with sata to usb adapter built in. Also almost all 2.5 inch drives you can buy now are SMR drives. Have a seagate 1TB SMR drive in my ps3 and performance really sucks, so another reason to move to SSD lol.

it would probably technically fit without the caddie. I know they make ssd drives that small, so they may have given up on hdds when it comes to height. I wouldn't want one without a caddie, personally. ssd drives can get pretty expensive once you reach 8TBs, and I've heard of issues with them that size and an exploitable ps4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/5zE3H65IDtM?si=cIVsTaWar9HofeR7