Not open for further replies.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true, but I think releasing streaming would just make it more apparerent that they should've included it in the first place. Nintendo hasn't been shown to have the best netcode in the past either, so even if they id try it on the wii u it could have had some serious backlash
Yeah. If that IS true then I'm glad that DeNA will be in charge of their online infrastructure

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a funny feeling that the console might be Nintendo's own shield tv (nvidia's console with still small library).
And looks more like steam but with a optional low power handheld. (the only reason k12 cannot make it this year was because of apu)
Guess the time of handheld is over.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The days of wii and ds were far gone.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a funny feeling that the console might be Nintendo's own shield tv (nvidia's console with still small library).
And looks more like steam but with a optional low power handheld. (the only reason k12 cannot make it this year was because of apu)
Guess the time of handheld is over.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The days of wii and ds were far gone.
Nintendo isn't going to abandon the handheld market, I can tell you that. It has always been and will most likely always be their biggest moneymaker

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo isn't going to abandon the handheld market, I can tell you that. It has always been and will most likely always be their biggest moneymaker
Nah, I was talking about the time when handheld is more to just a portable console. 3ds's features are no longer utilized and many games on the ds made their way to smartphones. I do think it would be better for the nx to be a platform with upgrading spec to catch up with competition. Big n is way behind on tech right now and apple stole the best ideas.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dedicated handhelds might be dead.

If NX is essentially a Wii v3.0 with 3DS v5.0 as controllers, where you can download the game data from the console piece to handheld piece and take it with you, it would be a hit. Combining the markets to free up development and focus on one platform = quality improvements.

EDIT: Though I don't want to imagine the cost of that. $600 + $200 for each additional controller lol.

Last edited by fiveighteen,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dedicated handhelds might be dead.

If NX is essentially a Wii v3.0 with 3DS v5.0 as controllers, where you can download the game data from the console piece to handheld piece and take it with you, it would be a hit. Combining the markets to free up development and focus on one platform = quality improvements.

EDIT: Though I don't want to imagine the cost of that. $600 + $200 for each additional controller lol.
I believe the new president has said that they are officially stepping away from the Wii franchise with the NX

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quite frankly I'd be fine with that, since I end up buying both the console and the handheld anyway
As good as that sound, nx portable is not going to be very successful regarding the psv and pretty much the entire smart phone market. Unless we have some thing that makes the portable stand out and also as a handheld rather than portable console (which again means better gimmick, and not easily replica table by say apple or accessories) while not shadowing the console like the wii u. I pretty much ditch my tv with the game pad.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another cliam from a taiwan company that the nx are going to cartidges. AMD has their own solution to the nvlink at 100GB/s(possibly single lane, which blow nvlink out of the water for good) which are going to be ultalized in apu with power to rival xbox one on 45w and ps4 on desktop. And I think it is going to top consumer zen platform for gpu which with best hope the nx are going to be incredibly powerful with a i5(but better), entry r9 setup that is further expandable.
Hope nintendo would stop with gimmick trend since it is competing with the likes of apple and google, while running out of idea themselves.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another cliam from a taiwan company that the nx are going to cartidges. AMD has their own solution to the nvlink at 100GB/s(possibly single lane, which blow nvlink out of the water for good) which are going to be ultalized in apu with power to rival xbox one on 45w and ps4 on desktop. And I think it is going to top consumer zen platform for gpu which with best hope the nx are going to be incredibly powerful with a i5(but better), entry r9 setup that is further expandable.
Hope nintendo would stop with gimmick trend since it is competing with the likes of apple and google, while running out of idea themselves.
Yeah, that's been a pretty long standing rumor. Cartridges a la some form of modified SD card would actually be pretty amazing, given the speed, capabilities, and cost of flash storage these days

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that's been a pretty long standing rumor. Cartridges a la some form of modified SD card would actually be pretty amazing, given the speed, capabilities, and cost of flash storage these days
Directly mounted storage chips should reach 100MB/s without trouble. Not as good as nvme ssd but emmc has evolved over the years and on smartphones. Older cartridges actually pack extra processor which might be somewhat incredible to be revived(and there are tiny blade servers) and great for semi custom designs. AMD would gain more working on this than just chips bought by nintendo.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Directly mounted storage chips should reach 100MB/s without trouble. Not as good as nvme ssd but emmc has evolved over the years and on smartphones. Older cartridges actually pack extra processor which might be somewhat incredible to be revived(and there are tiny blade servers) and great for semi custom designs. AMD would gain more working on this than just chips bought by nintendo.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I totally agree. And it would also be sweet if that's how they decide to keep a portable console cheap and possible; by packing an extra punch with cartridge peripherals

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I totally agree. And it would also be sweet if that's how they decide to keep a portable console cheap and possible; by packing an extra punch with cartridge peripherals
I think console might be more feasible(Works like a graphic card, only easier) though handheld would be possible with directly mounted Soc (which is rather pricy especially in Japan)
Edit: and cooling. Unless it is under clocked or uses some non standard cooling (heatsink) because it is not the easiest to have a fanless gpu vertically stack on the board.

Last edited by Yil,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't know if any of you have looked at the 2016 release list for the 3DS... its pretty small... Makes me wonder if the 3DS is going the way of the wiiU when the NX hits.

Thoughts?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't know if any of you have looked at the 2016 release list for the 3DS... its pretty small... Makes me wonder if the 3DS is going the way of the wiiU when the NX hits.

Thoughts?
I'm guessing that Ninty smokescreened us when they said it wouldn't be a "fusion" device. I'm guessing they're probably gonna pull a DSi and make the NX portable part of the console release

Either that or my initial guess of "NX" representing a cross-platform operating system was correct

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thoughts?

Well hm...

I'm getting Bravely Second, FF Explorers, and I'm anticipating Etrian Odyssey V. There's also the MegaMan Legacy Collection, Zero Time Dilemma, and I'm hoping for a new entry in the Rune Factory series this year. So I'm pretty set, 3DS wise.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hm...

I'm getting Bravely Second, FF Explorers, and I'm anticipating Etrian Odyssey V. There's also the MegaMan Legacy Collection, Zero Time Dilemma, and I'm hoping for a new entry in the Rune Factory series this year. So I'm pretty set, 3DS wise.
I suppose its rather subjective, but honestly that isn't a whole lot of games for an entire year imo. The 3DS had alot more games getting released for it 2 years ago, but since last year it seems like there havent been nearly as many games coming out. I think theres a pretty good chance the NX could be replacing it

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose its rather subjective, but honestly that isn't a whole lot of games for an entire year imo. The 3DS had alot more games getting released for it 2 years ago, but since last year it seems like there haven't been nearly as many games coming out. I think theres a pretty good chance the NX could be replacing it

Bear in mind that these are just the games being released in the early year and mid- there are bound to be more announced and released as time goes by. I suppose the fact that Persona 5 is getting a release this year (and will no doubt keep me occupied for some hundreds of hours) keeps me happy with the way things are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1