• Skylake 6700k

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me for being relatively ignorant of international pricings, but is there nothing for around 130-150 Euro? That should be more than capable for even a high end system, it just wouldn't have quite as many bells and whistles

For x99, not really. X99 boards are generally expensive. €207 is down at the cheaper end for x99.

To get an x99 board for €130-150, it would have to be a special offer/discount/bundle etc.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For x99, not really. X99 boards are generally expensive. €207 is down at the cheaper end for x99.

To get an x99 board for €130-150, it would have to be a special offer/discount/bundle etc.
Hm, ok. I've only ever built z97 builds because I'm a bargain hunter, so I guess it's obvious where I got those numbers :P

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But that's in the US. We are talking EU prices. Whether you can get an x99 board for the equivelent of €130-150 in the US, doesn't really matter, as someone in the EU isn't getting it for that price. Even if you ordered from the US, you will get bent over on custom charges, so you can add whatever shipping would cost, another 20% on top of that (typical vat) and then the delivery company will bend you over some more, for their slice of the pie, for doing the massive hardship of signing out of customs.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Pogolol

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.olli.biz
XP
Country
Germany
well actually newegg just had a a few x99 boards for that price range during their black friday sale week

Newegg dosent ships to Germany, only few stuff to UK :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyways Guys, the Build is done (no spoilers, only big images:

sa9FyR9.jpg

gEtZovq.jpg
bequiet! Silentbase 600 compare to Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 (brought due W2 was out of stock, but my friend that help me build wanted that Case so we exchanged when it was in stock ;) )

RAblCU5.jpg

oAzOeJy.jpg
IO

kqnULg9.jpg

little finger gap between cpu cooler and case

cck4saA.jpg
clean cablemanagment due dual chamber

Final Config:
Intel i7 5820K @4Ghz , AsRock Extreme4 X99, G.Skill Ripjaws IV 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung EVO 500GB + WD 500GB 2.5", MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, Be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM, Be quiet! Dark Rock 3, Cooltek W2

Last edited by Pogolol,
Reactions: GaaraPrime

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg dosent ships to Germany, only few stuff to UK :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anyways Guys, the Build is done (no spoilers, only big images:

sa9FyR9.jpg

gEtZovq.jpg
bequiet! Silentbase 600 compare to Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 (brought due W2 was out of stock, but my friend that help me build wanted that Case so we exchanged when it was in stock ;) )

RAblCU5.jpg

oAzOeJy.jpg
IO

kqnULg9.jpg

little finger gap between cpu cooler and case

cck4saA.jpg
clean cablemanagment due dual chamber

Final Config:
Intel i7 5820K @4Ghz , AsRock Extreme4 X99, G.Skill Ripjaws IV 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung EVO 500GB + WD 500GB 2.5", MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, Be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W CM, Be quiet! Dark Rock 3, Cooltek W2
That is a BEAUTIFUL mATX build!

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skylake is pretty much never worth it. It is atrociously expensive for no benefit over Haswell, much less Haswell-E. Let's not forget the heating problem it has, too...

That being said the 5820k isn't that good of a choice for price-to-performance. Do you need those extra 2 cores/4 threads? The 5930k is also a 6 core/12 thread processor but will do SLI/Crossfire much better.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Skylake is pretty much never worth it. It is atrociously expensive for no benefit over Haswell, much less Haswell-E. Let's not forget the heating problem it has, too...
It's only at current prices due to supply shortages. It launched at roughly the same price as Haswell did originally. Also, Skylake is the best choice (in terms of performance without going into Haswell-E territory) for those who wish to stay on Windows 8.1 or older. There are stories going around that Kaby Lake may only support Windows 10.

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only at current prices due to supply shortages. It launched at roughly the same price as Haswell did originally. Also, Skylake is the best choice (in terms of performance without going into Haswell-E territory) for those who wish to stay on Windows 8.1 or older. There are stories going around that Kaby Lake may only support Windows 10.
Skylake was never the same price as Haswell.

It's also not a good choice for performance. It's, at best, the same as Haswell(-E) while running a LOT hotter.
Kaby Lake is also a throwaway. Cannonlake is the one to look forward to and that's highly debatable. Look at how underwhelming Broadwell/Skylake were.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
They both launched at around £260 (source 1, source 2) for the top i7. Sure, that quickly inflated to £290, and now is more like £310 and even as much as £340 in places, but that's supply and demand.

As for the temperature issue, reviews say that's mostly limited to just the i7-6700K. The i5-6600K has fairly average temps. Even when the i7 peaks over 100W on full load, it only gets up to 70-74C using the stock air cooler. Any after-market cooler, especially CLCs with 120/140 - 260/280mm radiators, will have no trouble cooling it. And gaming is more like 83W than 100W, so temps wouldn't even go as high.

Now regarding Kaby Lake, I don't really want to speculate if it will be good or bad. Considering the non-event that was Broadwell and how Haswell "Refresh" (Devils Canyon) only acted as a stop-gap, Intel don't exactly have a stellar track record. And also considering that each gen since Sandy Bridge has only been incremental upgrades, I'm not exactly hoping for much. But if they're ditching older gen device handling/emulation (i.e. support for older OSes) for a more modern architecture, maybe there's hope. Not holding my breath, and I maintain zero expectations, but with DDR3 about to be phased out, PCI-based storage no longer bottlecapping the rest of the system, and the stories of Intel/Micron's Xpoint memory architecture that could completely replace RAM/SSD storage altogether with something "1000x faster".........

Things are changing, the question is when. Each gen of chipsets lets them try out ideas (like how M.2 started at 2x speed in Z97 and is now universally 4x speed). But I don't get my hopes up with any "future products" until it actually happens and gets reviewed.

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They both launched at around £260 (source 1, source 2) for the top i7. Sure, that quickly inflated to £290, and now is more like £310 and even as much as £340 in places, but that's supply and demand.

As for the temperature issue, reviews say that's mostly limited to just the i7-6700K. The i5-6600K has fairly average temps. Even when the i7 peaks over 100W on full load, it only gets up to 70-74C using the stock air cooler. Any after-market cooler, especially CLCs with 120/140 - 260/280mm radiators, will have no trouble cooling it. And gaming is more like 83W than 100W, so temps wouldn't even go as high.

Now regarding Kaby Lake, I don't really want to speculate if it will be good or bad. Considering the non-event that was Broadwell and how Haswell "Refresh" (Devils Canyon) only acted as a stop-gap, Intel don't exactly have a stellar track record. And also considering that each gen since Sandy Bridge has only been incremental upgrades, I'm not exactly hoping for much. But if they're ditching older gen device handling/emulation (i.e. support for older OSes) for a more modern architecture, maybe there's hope. Not holding my breath, and I maintain zero expectations, but with DDR3 about to be phased out, PCI-based storage no longer bottlecapping the rest of the system, and the stories of Intel/Micron's Xpoint memory architecture that could completely replace RAM/SSD storage altogether with something "1000x faster".........

Things are changing, the question is when. Each gen of chipsets lets them try out ideas (like how M.2 started at 2x speed in Z97 and is now universally 4x speed). But I don't get my hopes up with any "future products" until it actually happens and gets reviewed.
I have no idea what your prices are supposed to be in dollars but Skylake was NEVER comparable to Haswell in price.
Skylake is also a lot hotter than Haswell. For... no benefit.
If Intel wants a huge performance increase, it's not going to happen. Their asinine prices need to drop, though, and this goes for all of their products.

Never heard of Xpoint. Is it more worthless trash that no one is ever going to use?

M.2 is a really poor example here. M.2 drives start to throttle really bad when they exceed SATA III speeds because they can't keep cool. Hell, PCI-E SSDs are a waste of time in almost all cases.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you even looked at the sources I linked, you'd see the US price as $350 for both. But your attitude seems like you care more for current prices than launch prices.

If you want to find out what Xpoint is (outside the half line summary I posted), google it. It's interesting stuff (to me).

Could you specify exactly which M.2 cards you've read have this heating issue? I can think of two that did, which were only ever OEM releases and never meant for the average consumer to use. Based on reviews, the newer ones with proper retail releases don't have this problem.

Last edited by Originality,

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding Skylake and heat output: with my new i5-6500 build I've had no problems with the CPU itself running too hot so much as the stock cooler just generally being terrible. On full loads (close to 100% CPU/GPU in GTA V) I was getting CPU temps nearly at or as high as GPU temps even after replacing the stock paste, and considering that 390s aren't exactly cucumbers that's not a good thing. Definitely seems to be more about the cooler than anything, though; even a secondhand Cooler Master 212 Evo brought things down enough to feel comfortable enough running it at load for extended periods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: