Hacking Best guide for downgrade and a9lh for a New 3DS?

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
which otp should i use with safe a9lh installer? otp0x100 or otp0x108?

As said, the first, but I'd save both, the second is basically same as 0x100 plus some extra key value. It seems it has no use as of now, but who knows, might be valuable for you some day. If you are following the text guide, it'll generate both with different file names.

So just to be sure: Is it perfectly safe to do Plailects guide on a N3DS using my existing GW emuNAND??

I'd skip Part 3 of the Guide (Setting up CFW) and start with Part 4. My N3DS is on sysNAND 9.2.0.

Did you end up trying? Any problems? Should be fine, for what I understand of the guide:

" If you already have a CFW setup on any version between 9.0.0 and 9.2.0, change menuhax to type 1, set your menuhax trigger to dpad down, then start the guide at Part 4."

PS: I just ignored Menuhax throughout the guide and used NinjaHax instead. For some reason the key triggers don't seem to apply on my New 3DS and end up not being able to access either NANDs

Last edited by pustal,

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No I haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting for GW to support A9LH officially. Just wanted to make sure I can use my GW emuNAND for the process.

Linkmaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So looking through the Github guide posted, The Getting Started page mentions there's two different categories for the guide: N3DS and O3DS/2DS.

However, reading through part 4 of the guide, I don't see anywhere that mentions any different steps for N3DS.

Is there something I'm missing or has the guide been updated to where the steps are the same for both old and new consoles?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
So looking through the Github guide posted, The Getting Started page mentions there's two different categories for the guide: N3DS and O3DS/2DS.

However, reading through part 4 of the guide, I don't see anywhere that mentions any different steps for N3DS.

Is there something I'm missing or has the guide been updated to where the steps are the same for both old and new consoles?
The guide works both on n3ds and o3ds. One click setup takes care of all the differences.

Reactions: pustal and Linkmaan

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thank you. Currently downgrading RedNAND, no problems so far :)
If you have a new 3ds, Make sure that you patch the emunand 2.1 with otphelper before you copy your emunand to your sysnand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, just checking, can I update sysnand to the latest firmware once I've installed a9lh?

Ryu X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going from stock to a9lh there are about 4 parts where it can brick.
1. the initial downgrade to 9.2
2. the downgrade to 2.1
3. the system restore to 9.2
4. during the installation of a9lh

It's a bit scary after each of these steps when you pray that your 3ds will turn on.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing a9lh, it just keeps on booting into the a9lh update page. How do I get aureinand to boot instead?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nvm. I had the wrong a9lh.bin file for aureinand. Whoops.

Linkmaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a new 3ds, Make sure that you patch the emunand 2.1 with otphelper before you copy your emunand to your sysnand.

I didn't do the pre-patch to EmuNAND, just the One Click setup. No errors, successfully downgraded SysNAND

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I didn't do the pre-patch to EmuNAND, just the One Click setup. No errors, successfully downgraded SysNAND
Yeah, one click setup handles all that for you :)

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
No I haven't tried it yet. I'm waiting for GW to support A9LH officially. Just wanted to make sure I can use my GW emuNAND for the process.

Mine worked. Gateway should run also, I think. In the end what happens here is that you are running sysNAND patched, a bit like rxTools sysNAND option or Pasta, difference is, it happens right at boot instead of having to go through another hack. Nothing stops you from having an EmuNAND/RedNAND as well, I left my EmuNAND on my old 3DS.

Going from stock to a9lh there are about 4 parts where it can brick.
1. the initial downgrade to 9.2
2. the downgrade to 2.1
3. the system restore to 9.2
4. during the installation of a9lh

It's a bit scary after each of these steps when you pray that your 3ds will turn on.

Done 2 consoles in 2 days, one New 3DS XL and one Old 3DS.

Old 3DS seems safer (unlike the New 3DS is nativelly compatible with 2.1 without system patches), but either way 1 and 2 have all the verifications possible. 3, there is some kind of verification, not much but can make more than one system backup just in case. 4 is really quick, but there is another restore from EmuNAND/RedNAND to SysNAND, but if it goes wrong, you should still have you SysNAND's backup(s).

Anyway, if you decide to do it, there is some risk, but go step by step thoroughly and you should be fine.

Reactions: BloodRose

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I followed the guide off github. Its a long process, took me most of the morning today, but it works! The hard work paid off.

The a9lh process alone (parts 4 and 5) took me 3 hours today but most of that time was spent waiting for backups to finish or files to copy between the PC and SD card.

The process itself is quite straight forward as long as you're careful, patient and follow the instructions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol