Hacking Better Pictures of old/new R4

striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I planned to shoot these pictures the day my new R4's arrived. But my delivery was delayed by a day. I visited GBATemp that night and saw that bobrules had already posted some pictures. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=61275

I agree his could have been better, but he got here first and I didn't want to upstage him, so I haven't posted them till now. But now I see in a couple other topics that there are noises about wanting better pictures. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=62231

I hope these make everyone happy.

Yeah, why start a new topic? Well, just adding to the others may not bring readers back that had otherwise already dismissed them. If considered bad form, sorry.

Enjoy...

striderx

NOTE: The new version is on the right except in the exploded views where the parts are laid out. In those I just left them as is and rotated the sheet of paper they were lying on. Look for the reliefs in the side of the case. That's the new version.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

shane1972

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

Gr8 pictures but the question is "Is the card easy to get out without having to use a sharp object?".
I had a cyclo Ds evo and that card is hard as to get out.

Cheers

striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Gr8 pictures but the question is "Is the card easy to get out without having to use a sharp object?".
I had a cyclo Ds evo and that card is hard as to get out.

Cheers

I have no problem getting the microSD card out with a fingernail. I'd say it's about perfect. Firm enough that there's no chance of it falling out, period.

A force likely enough to dislodge it is also likely to kill your DS or R4 in the process. The mass of the microSD is just too low.

I'd say it's about the same resistance as the SD adapters that came with my microSD's.

It's WAY better than the slot 1 ezflash V that I also have (and never use, BTW.)

striderx

dodol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's the meaning of "DLDI auto patching" in the new box, I thought R4 still need manual patch ?

striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for lot of photos
smile.gif

Hey, you're all welcome. I'm just happy that they're appreciated!

As I can see, the new R4 don't have black lines at bottom :

Maybe for better detection on DS.
With the current M3 DS Simply I have sometimes to blow on DS for M3 DS to be detected...

Perhaps. but I suspect it was a cost saving measure. I suspect during the injection molding process those ribs on the old shell may have been prone to being incompletely formed and therefore thrown away as defective.

The result of the new design could be improved process yield for that part at the same cost, or maybe the yield was fine and the redesign allowed the team to specify a lower spec molding process at a lower cost of manufacture.

Oh, and yeah, it could have improved the card detection reliability.

Regardless, that design change is the one thing I really dislike about the new shell. The missing ribs allow dirty fingers to touch the PCB contacts. Not good. And as was mentioned in some earlier posts in a differnt topic when it first came out, that unreenforced strip of plastic makes the card feel somewhat flimsy along that leading edge of the card. Especially compared to the old shell.

I would love to hear from the R4 Team the motivation for that change.

StriderX can you please make a close up pic of the Chipset ( want to know if they replaced the PIC )

How's this? I made a makeshift copy setup in my kitchen to shoot these. The lighting sucked. I really wished I had a proper copy stand
frown.gif
so that I could shoot straight down on the subjects without nasty reflections. I also wish I had a real macro lens for my camera. So many toys... so little money!

NOTE: I've editted my original post to include this picture there too.

IMG_0026.jpg

QUOTE(dark_aura12 @ Oct 8 2007, 07:04 AM)
Lol, why is one SD Kingston and the other a Sandisk?

Other than that, good pics. Nice comparison.

Cuz those were the cheapest ones at the time!

Enjoy!

striderx

striderx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice, no reason to get the new one if u got an old one

Agreed.

Having both, I'd say...

... there's no reason to buy a new one to replace an old one that's working normally,

... there's no compelling reason to seek out an old one instead of a new one (assuming the anticipated microSDHC support in v. 1.12 isn't limited to the new version).

Both have their pros & cons.

The one thing I wish they had done in the design update is to have made the microSD a side loader, like my ezflash V. The top loader makes it plain to all that you've got a flashcart. I'd prefer it to be a little more discrete.

striderx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Y9WKPRUjNQ4?si=raUf8jEiET8rmH2P