• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Biden: "You can’t be pro-insurrection and pro-America."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should explicitly state what you mean, because it's not clear. Are you saying January 6th doesn't fit the definition of insurrection? If so, what was it then?

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys missed @Marc_LFD's point entirely.

What is, "How was the United States founded?", Alex?

Irrespective of your personal opinion on the real impact and chances those people had on Jan 6 of "overthrowing the government" if that was even anyone's intent (versus the US Federal Govt., I consider it a fart in the wind) .... there's no getting around the fact that rebellion is in this country's DNA. Except for the sheeple types, who we could really do without.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware standing on a field and shouting a bunch fell under the definition of an insurrection.

It was important to get the word "insurrection" out there early and solid, which is why the media types and Democrat politicians adopted it so quickly. The whole point of making that specific word stick was to use it against Trump.

Pretty smart. And sinister. Especially when you see how it was coordinated police action that instigated the crowd blowing up.

Reactions: zfreeman

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ah, the Zombie In Chief speaks.

Or whoever actually posted that.
Biden's social media team is pretty sharp. You'd think Trump would want to match that, but his ego forces him to keep posting unintelligible drivel instead.

Irrespective of your personal opinion on the real impact and chances those people had on Jan 6 of "overthrowing the government" if that was even anyone's intent (versus the US Federal Govt., I consider it a fart in the wind) .... there's no getting around the fact that rebellion is in this country's DNA. Except for the sheeple types, who we could really do without.
Our history is one of rebellion AGAINST kings and dictators. Not weak-minded cultists rebelling for the purpose of installing a dictator. Conservatives lost the plot long ago.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I guess an argument could be made following that logic though. Following an insurrection it would be something entirely new right? In that sense they wouldn't necessarily be pro-America in the sense of America as it is now, but something else.

Forgive me if I'm reading into it poorly though, this isn't a section I frequent too often lol

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware standing on a field and shouting a bunch fell under the definition of an insurrection.
It doesn't, but that's a disingenuous representation of what happened on January 6th.

1. There are two implications in his post and one of them understates the seriousness of January 6th.
  2. It's clear Biden is talking about contemporary America, not America before its founding.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our history is one of rebellion AGAINST kings and dictators. Not weak-minded cultists rebelling for the purpose of installing a dictator. Conservatives lost the plot long ago.

Last I checked Trump's not the one attempting to throw his leading political opponent in prison. You know, like dictators do.

It doesn't, but that's a disingenuous representation of what happened on January 6th.

1. There are two implications in his post and one of them understates the seriousness of January 6th.
  2. It's clear Biden is talking about contemporary America, not America before its founding.

1. There was nothing serious about Jan 6th except for the Democrat butthurt that for once, conservative blue-collar types rioted instead of the DNC's pets.

2. Nothing Biden talks about is clear.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was nothing serious about January 6th, but you just stated that conservative blue-collar types rioted. I'm confused. Is a riot not serious?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked Trump's not the one attempting to throw his leading political opponent in prison. You know, like dictators do.
Seriously? "Lock her up" not ringing any bells? He's constantly been talking about "revenge" lately too.

Trump isn't being prosecuted for being a Republican. He's being prosecuted for the many, many crimes he committed. If the party wants to keep supporting him, it's time to own up to the fact that they're pro-corruption and pro-crime. While we're at it, might as well drop all pretense and put Putin on the ballot in place of Trump, too.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was nothing serious about January 6th, but you just stated that conservative blue-collar types rioted. I'm confused. Is a riot not serious?

Not if it's mostly peaceful and not fiery at all.

Or as the Mayor of Baltimore put it, they just needed "space to destroy."

This was a most benign riot, by people who hadn't planned to do so and caused little harm (excepting for one of their own being shot to death by a cop who didn't need to). Unlike what you'll see if you just do a little looking into the leftist riots that occurred in DC on Trump's inauguration day, and countless times in 2020 leading up to the election.
Post automatically merged:

Seriously? "Lock her up" not ringing any bells?

Did he actually go there though? No. He said she "ought to be in jail." He's right, but he took no action against her as President, nor did his DOJ. Just campaign hot air.

Trump isn't being prosecuted for being a Republican.

No he's being prosecuted because he's leading Biden in the polls, and theyre afraid of him against Biden on a debate stage. The Democrats simply want a more defeatable opponent. By any means.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not if it's mostly peaceful and not fiery at all.

Or as the Mayor of Baltimore put it, they just needed "space to destroy."

This was a most benign riot, by people who hadn't planned to do so and caused little harm (excepting for one of their own being shot to death by a cop who didn't need to). Unlike what you'll see if you just do a little looking into the leftist riots that occurred in DC on Trump's inauguration day, and countless times in 2020 leading up to the election.
This is one of the most ridiculous takes on January 6th I've seen recently. A benign riot is an oxymoron. People don't commit violence on a whim. People don't just happen to have a gallows on them. Stop mentioning other events, nobody is falling for whataboutism or red herrings. This is about Trump.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Did he actually go there though? No. He said she "ought to be in jail." He's right, but he took no action against her as President, nor did his DOJ. Just campaign hot air.
It's the type of threat that dictators make, not presidential candidates. Biden didn't have to campaign on locking up Trump, it was obvious to everybody that a mountain of legal trouble awaited him after he was out of office. In that sense, January 6th really shouldn't have been that much of a surprise.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A benign riot is an oxymoron.

You should read entire posts. I used that word to compare the actions of the Jan 6 dumbasses to the actions of the Trump inauguration and summer 2020 rioting dumbasses. The Jan 6 dumbasses were much less destructive, wanton, and dangerous, though some in the bunch definitely deserved some jailtime.

This is about Trump.

No this is actually about Biden and his obtuse tweet, written by an historically illiterate staffer.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "government" that Americans rebelled against in the 1700s was a monarchy that was highly undemocratic and in particular did not allow Americans a voice in their political system. Despite being heavily taxed without anything in return. In addition, the goal and eventual outcome of the American Revolution was not to overthrow the English monarchy within Great Britain. It was to split off and declare an independent country. One that the Americans already inhabited and managed on their own.

Trump attempted to throw out the results of a democratic election where he lost both the popular vote AND electoral college.

Critically important distinctions all around.

Check again, he advocated throwing Hillary Clinton in prison as a key campaign policy. Remember the "because you'd be in jail" comment and all of the "lock her up" chants? He and the GOP are also attempting to find a way to impeach Biden. So far, unlike with the orgy of evidence Trump left behind of his wrongdoings, they've failed to find the proper evidence to do anything with Biden.

Last edited by granville,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No he's being prosecuted because he's leading Biden in the polls, and theyre afraid of him against Biden on a debate stage. The Democrats simply want a more defeatable opponent. By any means.
Trump believed his entire life he was above the law because he had never faced consequences for breaking it. 77 years old is awfully late to be learning responsibility for one's own actions, but it's better late than never. His fraud case exposed to the world that he was a criminal for decades prior to reaching the White House, and now we know more about his criminal activity while in office, too.

Also, he's been running scared from debates for a while now. If he's not willing to do them with people who would kiss his ass on stage, almost no chance he's willing to go head-to-head with Biden again either.

Last edited by Xzi,

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should read entire posts. I used that word to compare the actions of the Jan 6 dumbasses to the actions of the Trump inauguration and summer 2020 rioting dumbasses. The Jan 6 dumbasses were much less destructive, wanton, and dangerous, though some in the bunch definitely deserved some jailtime.
They caused extensive damage to the capitol (over a million dollars in damages), disrupted the certification of the election, and came within seconds of encountering multiple politicians, including the VP. The fact that we had competent capitol police to stop them doesn't reduce their efforts to do it.

If that's not bad enough, Trump is still doing this sort of stuff. The 2024 election hasn't even happened yet and he's already casting doubt on its validity. He'll continue to do that leading up to voting day so that his supporters are outraged when he loses. He's suggesting to his supporters to monitor the voting booths and stop any fraud they see. What do you think is going to happen when his supporters, going in with the idea that widespread fraud is being attempted and using their own judgment, determine that someone is committing fraud?

Reactions: MicroNut99 and Xzi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade