Hacking Question Biggest USB drive that is connected with SX OS?

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 3TB Toshiba Canvio portable self powered USB 3.0 HD. I followed all the guides, have sxos 2.3 installed, formatted my drive to exfat, added xcis to the root. But when I am in the switch I can't get any games to load. There is a light on the hard drive that turns blue when I plug it into my PC, but it turns white when I plug it into any of the 3 ports on the switch dock.

Does anyone know why none of my games are being scanned?

WiiuGold

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a 3TB Toshiba Canvio portable self powered USB 3.0 HD. I followed all the guides, have sxos 2.3 installed, formatted my drive to exfat, added xcis to the root. But when I am in the switch I can't get any games to load. There is a light on the hard drive that turns blue when I plug it into my PC, but it turns white when I plug it into any of the 3 ports on the switch dock.

Does anyone know why none of my games are being scanned?
Dont put your games on ROOT..
sxos/xci/ games here

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be couple different things .. bad xci files, nsp to xci files or ur drive . Check ur xci files ..
I have plenty of different xci files that I tested. All which work on my 128GB sd card in the switch. I am leaning towards the drive is just not compatible. I am planning on returning it. I am going to buy a different one. Is it better to go for a smaller drive like 2tb or 1tb?

WiiuGold

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have plenty of different xci files that I tested. All which work on my 128GB sd card in the switch. I am leaning towards the drive is just not compatible. I am planning on returning it. I am going to buy a different one. Is it better to go for a smaller drive like 2tb or 1tb?
No , all the ones I tried all work from 2TB to 8TB

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ended up getting the 2TB WD elements portable self powered HD. Loaded XCIs on the root and worked instantly. Seems that 3TB Toshiba drive is not compatible.

Can you please test something for me? For example charge battery to 100% Then play an exact 5 minutes of smash brothers ultimate on a particular level 1v1 luigi vs mario?
With max screen brightness (which is how I have it) and flight mode on?

Is there anyone with SX OS. that has a 1 TB or 2 TB harddrive connected to it?in handheld
Why I ask is im curious to see how fast your battery discharges
When compared to my 5TB HDD that I use

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you please test something for me? For example charge battery to 100% Then play an exact 5 minutes of smash brothers ultimate on a particular level 1v1 luigi vs mario?
With max screen brightness (which is how I have it) and flight mode on?

Is there anyone with SX OS. that has a 1 TB or 2 TB harddrive connected to it?in handheld
Why I ask is im curious to see how fast your battery discharges
When compared to my 5TB HDD that I use

I see, so are asking about the HD being connected directly to switch? If I get a USB-C OTG connector ill try it, but right now I dont have one.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont put your games on ROOT..
sxos/xci/ games here

Doesn't matter if you put your xci files on the root or in a folder. All of mine are on the root and they work just dandy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I had a 4tb seagate that worked once and then the switch started spitting out errors every time I connected it. Suspect it was drawing to much power as I put a 1tb in the same enclosure and it works without a problem.

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a 256GB Samsung Portable SSD; overkill speed-wise, but works perfectly without any external power.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When hooking a USB device up do I need to use a speicifs port on the dock?

i plugged it into either of the two USB ports on the side, and it works fine.

Reactions: Scubahood

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ok necroing this thread as there is an obvious piece of data missing which no one has mentioned - what format is the HDD partition? exfat or fat32?

NTFS isn't supported, nor is EXT3 etc.. or are they? I've only used fat32 formatted partitions.

Also is the partition MBR or GPT?

cluster size?

Last edited by gizmomelb,

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
1TB corsair SSD into cheap housing runs at usb C speeds (The caddy i mean) all in 160 euro. Self powered by caddy usb single connection .

brollikk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4tb western digital works fine for me. self powered though because that's always the safest way for externals + consoles.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
I remember someone saying you couldnt have more then 10 games at a time using external hd with sx. Does that still apply now? Or can you use the full space on your hard drive

Last edited by jammybudga777,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3