Gaming Borderlands 2 Coming To PS Vita!

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This thread confirms what other small user reviews I read on Metacritic said: it's a decent port that does a good job pulling a large console game down to portable standards. The imperfections seem perfectly bearable, and I'll certainly be picking up this title for myself. I've barely played any of this game on any other console, so I doubt I'll notice some of the hits that other people have noticed as heavily, and even long load times won't be so bad, since, as I mentioned earlier, I got used to the obnoxious load times in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Really, I'm just excited about having this on a handheld console. A frame drop here or there and some graphics that aren't "OMGZ AMAZING PC MASTER RACE DERP HERP" are hardly going to stop me from enjoying the experience.

On a related note, professional reviewers seem to hit a new level of stupid when looking at a title like this. They don't seem to acknowledge anything the game does right and instead focus on the fact that it isn't the PC or PS3 version of the game. Rarely are professional reviews collectively so positively useless in giving any kind of useful opinion on a game.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lets put it this way for those still wondering if its a bad port or not.
its STILL a better port then Jak and Daxter Vita.
there you go.

Can you provide more insight into both? Cause I've never played Jak and daxter but was considering picking up the collection for vita. Same for god of war, since the sly collection so far has treated me pretty well.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you provide more insight into both? Cause I've never played Jak and daxter but was considering picking up the collection for vita. Same for god of war, since the sly collection so far has treated me pretty well.
God of war collection is a decent port as well as Sly Cooper. However the Jak and Daxter port was unfortunately very poorly handled. A lot of input lag, horrific framerate issues, Etc. Not a very good port at all.

Reactions: Chary

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
This game is awful. AWFUL.

Bought it for £20 and thought for that price it was a steal. I was wrong. Ok lets start with the framerate, it is atrocious, more than 2 enemies on the screen and the game struggles and lags, Enter a new area and it lags, access the menu and it lags. Everything lags and it makes the game unplayable. The downgraded graphics arnt a big issue, the big issue here is the framerate and how much you simply cannot play this game. The only way i can describe it is like trying to shoot a bullseye whilst riding a mechanical bull.

Dont buy this. If you are like me and havent played the original and figure "how bad can it be?" then please take my word for it and dont buy this, i am not a gamer obbsessed with graphics. I am not comparing this to the previous games or console versions. I am not hating on this for any other reason other than the fact it is an unplayable peice of garbage game.

^ My original opinion of the game before i had patched it to the newest version. Check my next post in this thread for my current view of the game.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont buy this. If you are like me and havent played the original and figure "how bad can it be?" then please take my word for it and dont buy this, i am not a gamer obbsessed with graphics. I am not comparing this to the previous games or console versions. I am not hating on this for any other reason other than the fact it is an unplayable peice of garbage game.

For the record the original game is terrible too.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This game is awful. AWFUL.

Bought it for £20 and thought for that price it was a steal. I was wrong. Ok lets start with the framerate, it is atrocious, more than 2 enemies on the screen and the game struggles and lags, Enter a new area and it lags, access the menu and it lags. Everything lags and it makes the game unplayable. The downgraded graphics arnt a big issue, the big issue here is the framerate and how much you simply cannot play this game. The only way i can describe it is like trying to shoot a bullseye whilst riding a mechanical bull.

Well, there are framerate issues, but for me it never got nowhere near "unplayable" - at least in singleplayer.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
PS Vita's major breakthrough exclusive title for E3 "BORDERLANDS 2"!!! WTF, its pretty lame tbh!. The loading times went on and on and on and on and....., that's another thing that sucks about the Vita, loading times!. That was what was annoying about killzone, loading times, why don't Sony move with the times and scrap the loading times from all there systems, I mean they don't even use Disc Media with the Vita, so there is no excuse :( at least Nintendo have got Super Smash Bros for the 3DS to show off which does get me excited but Borderlands 2 gets me as excited as the misses does!

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok i feel i owe it to this thread to try and give you some positives after my overly judgemental first opinion of it. i forced myself to play through the game a little more after seing gamespot give it a 7 (which i initially thought was ridiculous) so now ill re-evaluate my original opinion of this game after patching to the latest version.

The lag was my main issue in my original post and yes, it is still a pretty big issue that a patch wont entirely fix but i have found that the newest patch has noticably reduced alot of the lag so iv had a change of heart about some of it:

- The lag in the menu's is tolerable now.
- The lag in the gameplay seems to only happen when its a heavy area of enemies whilst you are in a part of the map where it is open world. I have found the gameplay is alot smoother in "dungeons" where the game isnt trying to load the entire view-distance map.
- I think my initial opinion of this game was clouded by the fact i was using zero (sniper-oriantated character) and as such i was having to aim down the scope alot of the time. Making every little "jerk" of lag, a massive issue. With other characters that dont always need pin-point aiming, it is much more tolerable.

I have also managed to get into someone elses game twice now and tried a bit of 2-player mode and to my suprise, it plays exsactly like the single player. I didnt notice worse lag or any other issues that were not already aparent playing single player. So yeah, its worth playing with a friend if you know anyone with the game. Everything else in the game is great and works well enough i guess. (Sometimes the graphics take a second to render or audio slightly cuts out but again, it's tolerable)

This is not a perfect port by any means but with the patch, it has become much more playable. The full voice acting and how massive the scope of this game on a handheld is nothing short of amazing and im starting to come around to enjoying it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so, I read a lot of initial impressions, both from users and critics on various sites before purchasing. What I found were mixed reviews of "omg this shit ain't PC where my PS3 version this shit don't match" and "this is a quality port that is certainly worth purchasing". Today, I went ahead and dropped the $40 on it for a new copy to make sure I would get the DLC, and boy am I far from disappointed. All the lag people complain about, yeah, I don't notice all that much. I haven't even applied the update yet, and although I'm still in the starter frozen areas, things have been working well. I opted to use the Assassin class the first time through, and my preferred scoped rifle/pistol combo has been working wonders. The controls work great, but half of that might just be that I'm used to not accidentally touching the rear touchpad. Even then, it defaults to only having sprint on the left and melee on the right, which is pretty inconsequential.

As for enemies, I've already dealt with a large enemy jumping all over, shooting at me via the midget riding on top, while other enemies continuously spawned all around. The game didn't miss a beat, and it was all perfectly manageable. Now, as I said, I haven't made it out of the frozen land starter areas, so I may not have hit the points where people experienced bad lag yet, but it seems like if I was going to be hit by a bad spike of lag, I would have seen at least one by now.

All in all, my first impression is a great one. People do tend to be overly judgmental, especially if they played the game on a console previously and somehow expected that to transition absolutely flawlessly to the Vita without a single concession. The concessions made (such as a graphical hit and no dead bodies) are relatively minor in the long run. Honestly, the graphics don't even look bad. They don't look top of the line, but they look far from what could be considered mediocre.

Initial verdict: Shit be cool.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanted to say I have gone and bought this game I know I have heard about issues with framrates but I looked on youtube cause there is a review on the new 1.04 patch and tbh it looks and plays really smooth to me so I had no problems making a decision on the purchase. Anyway it was only £15.00GBP new from Ebay so I cannot complain with the price I will give it a good shot when it comes Monday and I will let you know what I thought. I loved Killzone so surely this can't be that much worse?, or is it and when I meant worse I thought Killzone was good in that manner. Has anyone enjoyed this game at all with the bad comments made? Thanks :)

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanted to say I have gone and bought this game I know I have heard about issues with framrates but I looked on youtube cause there is a review on the new 1.04 patch and tbh it looks and plays really smooth to me so I had no problems making a decision on the purchase. Anyway it was only £15.00GBP new from Ebay so I cannot complain with the price I will give it a good shot when it comes Monday and I will let you know what I thought. I loved Killzone so surely this can't be that much worse?, or is it and when I meant worse I thought Killzone was good in that manner. Has anyone enjoyed this game at all with the bad comments made? Thanks :)

Received Borderlands 2 for the PS Vita through the post this morning. I updated the game to version 1.02 asap, before playing it first cause of the performance complaints in this thread. The game is fantastic and was well well worth the £15.00GBP I paid for it, it is just like the PS3/Xbox360 version as far as the graphics go, I was so mega impressed with the game and it really shows off how powerful the little handheld PS Vita really is, its the best looking game I have seen so far for the PS Vita and puts other handhelds into shame as far as the graphics department goes!. I only really noticed framerates drop when you get alot happening on the screen all at one time, apart from that I had no concerns at all about the game. I loved it and definitely 110% recommend Borderlands 2 for the PS Vita to anyone who has a PS Vita and enjoyed the console version too cause this you can really enjoy the whole Borderlands 2 experience but in your hands anytime you like, fantastic, great, excellent game!, also to boot the DLC comes free with a redeem code inside the box so you can't go wrong purchasing Borderlands 2 one little bit!!! :)

also guys just thought I would let you all know, if you do want to buy this game, Gamestop of the internet are selling it brand new for just £19.97+P&PGBP or if you are lucky enough to get it second hand its only a dirt cheap £10.97GBP! :)
http://www.gamestop.co.uk/PS Vita/Games/45861/borderlands-2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3