Bricked Wii Help

RukiaKuchiki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I was wondering if I can get some help with my old wii that's been bricked for a while. I got the wii back at launch in the US. I used Brawl to homebrew it and eventually put Project M on it shortly before it was C&D. It would get pretty hot especially in a no AC home in the summer and one day the wii just would turn on if you hit the power button, flash the disc drive, try to take a disc, and the display on the TV through the RCA cable would flicker right when the power was hit but stayed as a black screen.

I have a second wii that the SD card came out of I'm pretty sure I HB'd to back up a failing AC GC memory card in 2017
Currently on the SD Card I have directories for: apps, bootmii, MCBackup, Old Wii, private, Wiisaves
A boot.elf file and installer.log
The log references a HackMii v1.2 installation from 2017

In the Old Wii folder I have directories for: apps, codes, config. private, privatehbc, project M
A boot.elf, gameconfig.txt, and installer.log files
The log references a HackMii v0.8 installation from 2011 and ends with
found 2 valid blockmaps found 2 valid blockmaps using generation 7
boot2 blocks: 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 boot2bin @5,0 (blocks=0,1 - bootmii=0)
bootmii@-1,-1 boot2 blocks: 06 05 04 03 02 01 00
boot2bin @5,1 (blocks=6,5 - bootmii=0)
boot2 block layout: 2 2 1 1 1 0 0
Assembling boot2 in RAM
copyright size = 34 copyright text = 'Copyright 2008-2010 Team Twiizers.'
tmd ends at 0x80830f2c, data starts at 0x80830f60
bootmii version = '1.3'
Ok for boot2 install
preparations done!
[33;1mThe test results are in:
[37;1m Using IOS versions: Installer: 58, HBC: 58
The Homebrew Channel: [32;1mCan be installed[37;1m
BootMii: [32;1mCan be installed[37;1m

I'm pretty sure I just made the Old Wii folder and moved everything into that directory so I could HB the 2nd Wii

Old Wii/apps has homebrew_browser, projectm, save-extractor, save-installer
Old Wii/codes has a RSBE01.gct file
Old Wii/config has WiiXplorer

Reading through the log I don't think I installed a boot2 so I'm thinking she's permanently bricked but if anyone can give me some advice on what to do I'd appreciate it.
I have a multimeter, and hakko soldering iron if I need to go under the hood. My computer from back then is also available so I might have old files that were moved on/off the card.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the portion of the log that you included just shows the initialization, and confirms that Old Wii (or whatever that 2011 hackmii installer ran on) is boot2 bootmii compatible. It doesn't reveal if you actually installed bootmii - it's not confirmation that you did not.

A boot2 bootmii boots itself whenever it finds SD:/bootmii/armboot.bin. I'd get that ready and try booting Old Wii with that SD before concluding anything about bootmii.

Keep in mind, the absence of the bootmii folder is not proof you didn't install bootmii. When I set up a Wii I don't keep that folder on the SD in order to avoid having to go through bootmii on every boot. It's still installed, just without its hook - until needed.

Reactions: RukiaKuchiki

RukiaKuchiki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the portion of the log that you included just shows the initialization, and confirms that Old Wii (or whatever that 2011 hackmii installer ran on) is boot2 bootmii compatible. It doesn't reveal if you actually installed bootmii - it's not confirmation that you did not.

A boot2 bootmii boots itself whenever it finds SD:/bootmii/armboot.bin. I'd get that ready and try booting Old Wii with that SD before concluding anything about bootmii.

Keep in mind, the absence of the bootmii folder is not proof you didn't install bootmii. When I set up a Wii I don't keep that folder on the SD in order to avoid having to go through bootmii on every boot. It's still installed, just without its hook - until needed.
The main reason why I thought I might not have bootmii'd it was that was where the log ended and on the newer wii the log continued and seemed like it installed something into boot2. The SD card has root/bootmii/armboot.bin from that second installation and with a controller in port 1 and holding down reset when I hit power didn't do anything on the old bricked wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j