Suggestion Bring back the old Mod team

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When I first joined, there used to be both GMs and Mods. GMs oversaw the whole forums and the Mods oversaw sections. There also used to be 2 to 3 mods per section, which really helped control the quality of posting on the site.
I've noticed since we've gotten right of the Mods and favor of just having a GM team, the quality of the site has really gone down. I am seeing far more issues coming up with flaming, harassment, trolling, bumping spam, ect. which did happen before, but was always quickly taken care of because we had a big enough staff to do it. But recently it seems the staff here are becoming grossly overworked or simply busy in real life to really dedicate enough time to dealing with these issues. Which is why I suggest we bring back the old Mod team to really delegate those tasks and really have a greater staff presence on the forums. Something to really help make the job easier for everyone, well improving the quality of the site.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't age play a part in this? Most users on this site are like 12. I mean it depends if they are smart and mature 12 year old kids maybe.
Yeah, age is definitely part of it. I was first a global moderator elsewhere at age 14, and while I was saner than other 14-year-olds, I was a basket-case compared to the present me.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doesn't age play a part in this? Most users on this site are like 12. I mean it depends if they are smart and mature 12 year old kids maybe.
Age seriously should be a factor. I wasn't around during JPH, but I heard about what happened.

Reactions: VinsCool

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What happened during JPH?
I actually really don't know the details and only know what I read when doing research on him. I used to follow his posts when I lurked back in 07/08. I just know he was the Head of Meg Staff and went completely nuts and was also apparently only 14.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually really don't know the details and only know what I read when doing research on him. I used to follow his posts when I lurked back in 07/08. I just know he was the Head of Meg Staff and went completely nuts and was also apparently only 14.
I heard this person went mad and posted NSFW as news, or something like that.

Woah.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Still, let's get back on topic. I only brought that up because JPH was apparently 14, so relevant to age argument.

On hand, I've already said the most I can say. I just really hope the staff get involved in this conversation and we can get some input from them. Or at least this sparks some conversation within the staff itself.

Reactions: VinsCool

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I think there are enough mods to handle the forums. See a genuine case of breaking of the gbatemp's forum rules? Report it. I'm sure a mod will do something sooner or later, the former presumably. And for the time being, just ignore the person you think is voiding the rules. Simple? Simple.

That being said, people misusing the report post amenity should also be cracked down on.

Last edited by raystriker,

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking back, there was at least a little internal discussion on bringing in people to help (there's a scrapped thread about it in the staff area), but for a reason that escapes me, I think it was something to do with adding limited permissions, it was never followed through with. I'm definitely interested to see what the mods' input is on this kind of idea now, a few months later.
Back when I frequented the thread almost religiously, I was one of the people who was taken on by Densetsu to help keep the Flood of Pokemon hacks contained in the DS section of the forum. How I did this was being a part of the "Pokemon Hack Screening Thread" and being given limited powers to delete, move, edit posts, etc. I'm assuming it would be much harder to give someone limited permissions over a whole forum section rather than just in a simple thread, though.

Reactions: Chary

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Those were like 2 threads lol. Not a huge spam wave. And there gone.
Still proving Crystal's point

These threads were toxic as fuck, and it took a while before they were shut down.

D

Deleted User

These threads were toxic as fuck, and it took a while before they were shut down.
Shitposty, yeah
Inherintly against the rules? No

But yeah, hence why people are saying we need active mods in different time-zones.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Gbatemp is a pretty old forum, the system has developed overtime. Trust it.
The system developed, staff, and activity all developed over time. Problem is that the activity has developed faster than the number of staff members.

Project Pokemon (the site I moderate/administrate) has just the right number of active moderators IMO. GBAtemp has only a few more active moderators and WAY more posts that need to be dealt with.

Last edited by evandixon,
Reactions: ItsKipz

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Shitposty, yeah
Inherintly against the rules? No

But yeah, hence why people are saying we need active mods in different time-zones.
That's exactly my first post in page one.

also against the rules is really relative. All I read was meme spamming and 4chanism.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The system developed, staff, and activity all developed over time. Problem is that the activity has developed faster than the number of staff members.

Project Pokemon (the site I moderate/administrate) has just the right number of moderators IMO. GBAtemp has only a few more active moderators and WAY more posts that need to be dealt with.
Well you're definitely more knowledgeable in this matter and probably have a better idea of the statistics. Say, if there are 50 cases in a day and 5 mods, is 10 cases per mod too much to handle? (genuine question)

Or are the number of cases I have estimated lesser than what the real number is?

Last edited by raystriker,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Gbatemp is a pretty old forum, the system has developed overtime. Trust it.
I don't doubt, but I am always willing to suggest ways to help.
The Staff need help and we had a old system that used to help.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well you're definitely more knowledgeable in this matter and probably have a better idea of the statistics. Say, if there are 50 cases in a day and 5 mods, is 10 cases per mod too much to handle? (genuine question)

Or are the number of cases I have estimated lesser than what the real number is?
I would say that it depends on the topic and how long the thread is. In the past, the mods here have been great at avoiding controversy when something such as a religious topic comes up and people get heated. But it takes time to read through the thread to see what's been said and how to handle the situation.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should see PSXHAX forums all you need to do is ask and you will become mod (Not kidding!). 2 year of running nothing bad has happened! :D
I think you guys should focus on making people a staff rank if they have more than 1,000 posts. (If they want to)
*cough* hacksn5s4 *cough*

Reactions: Aerocool

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I would say that it depends on the topic and how long the thread is. In the past, the mods here have been great at avoiding controversy when something such as a religious topic comes up and people get heated. But it takes time to read through the thread to see what's been said and how to handle the situation.
Why not introduce practices like limiting the posts of a possible instigator?
I, an average temp user haven't noticed such threads, could the mod team be more efficient than we're giving them credit for?
However, the point of this thread is to provide suggestions for the mods to improve their moderation activities and I am not against that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If anyone wants to get me those socks for Christmas... lol