Hardware Broken controller component

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Some time ago my frend had Rage issues (2x, actually 3x but the other I could save) and broken his ps4 controller, he gave me to see if I could fix or make use of the pieces.
I don't know much about sony eletronic in general, but I noticed both got a broken component and maybe is the reason they don't turn on anymore
upload_2018-10-30_10-26-45.png upload_2018-10-30_10-27-9.png
Here a you can see the broken componet, the sam ein bot of them, but I could not find what they are to look, if I could get them or maybe the mainboards? I think this must be a common inpact loss of this model, since both had the same issu (the other saved was another model)
upload_2018-10-30_10-26-9.png

Someone know what these component are and if are cheap/easy to find?

Last edited by Sliter,

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well I tried that but both don't had a sign of life, the bateries where charged(in a good controller that happened to came here lol) but I don't have other clue of what more could be damaged here

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
if you're running a wire there, make sure you didn't bridge it with the pad in the middle, that's ground and it obviously won't work (check with multimeter if the connection you've made is shorted to ground)

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
you're right, it's hard to tell from the pictures (looked silver to me), so I thought it might be a ground pad in the middle (sometimes it's used under the inductors on motherboards). But if you've replaced the inductor and it still doesn't turn on or even charge (no orange light when plugged in) - then it must be something else, some other component is missing or broken

Reactions: Sliter

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
ok, I've opened my own controller, so I can properly test it for you. It won't turn on when I've replaced it with wire, so it must be quite an important component and you must have the proper inductor coil there or it won't work

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
you're right, it's hard to tell from the pictures (looked silver to me), so I thought it might be a ground pad in the middle (sometimes it's used under the inductors on motherboards). But if you've replaced the inductor and it still doesn't turn on or even charge (no orange light when plugged in) - then it must be something else, some other component is missing or broken
I will give a better look for more broken components
ok, I've opened my own controller, so I can properly test it for you. It won't turn on when I've replaced it with wire, so it must be quite an important component and you must have the proper inductor coil there or it won't work
thanks a lor for troubling yourself so much for helping me!
Now where I could find this thing? xD

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you have for parts stores in Brazil, components like these can be found on sites like mouser.com, but I don't know if they ship internationally (you have to check for yourself). If not, check on aliexpress.com, and also, they can be scrapped from other motherboards (for example, I have tons of scrap DS Lite boards, and each board has 4 inductor coils)

ds-lite.jpg

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know what you have for parts stores in Brazil, components like these can be found on sites like mouser.com, but I don't know if they ship internationally (you have to check for yourself). If not, check on aliexpress.com, and also, they can be scrapped from other motherboards (for example, I have tons of scrap DS Lite boards, and each board has 4 inductor coils)

View attachment 148893
if these coils aren't that specific, I could look in scrap notebook, computer and printers boards I may have at work! one o my co workers told me to try but I've forgot to look xD
I looked at aliexpress but I had no idea how to look more specific , " Ps4 controller inductor coil" and others don't really helped xD

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
on aliexpress you can buy something like this, it's 3x3x1.5mm size inductor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...lgo_pvid=1a29b65a-8307-4bc1-8a34-ae66fdb014f7
now I don't know what inductance original coil has, as it's not possible to measure without oscilloscope which I don't have, so since it's 10 in the package I would ask the seller to send you a bunch of different inductors in the middle range of what he sells (I think it should be somewhere in the range of 1.5 to 6.8uH based on the circuitry).
To install or remove inductors from scrap boards I'd recommend using Hot Air Station (at 350C/100L/M, which is what i've used to remove/install easily), because coil contacts are so close to the pads edge on the board, but certainly soldering iron also can be used, but will be much harder to install and right technique would be required (I would use 33W soldering iron with sharp 3mm chisel tip for this job)

Last edited by testerfan,

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks a lot! if what I did don't word I would ask the seller!
Also thanks for the soldering tips
I've found a a scrap old tablet board and there was some coils there, so I got them and tried to see if it works, and now the controllers lights blink! both of them! now I need to test in a ps4 to see if everything works
upload_2018-11-8_19-59-11.png
Sorry for the bad photo, I haven't noticed the time I took it :B

if this work, the only bad thing is that I noticed some pieces are missing, like one of the Rs/Ls contact rubbers and the ribbon cable of one of them are very damaged in one side
(some of the RsLs and a spring are missing but I think I can get the other from the other controller I told you that happened to be there other day )

edit: updates herm, I tested it wired on team and by bluetooth on my phone, looks like it's working nicely, and now with an unique "post rage" special edition xD
going to test more at home

Last edited by Sliter,
Reactions: testerfan

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just for update , I could test the Blue controller on a Ps4 and it's works very fine! the only thing I could no ttest was the track pad, but looks like everything else worked on ps4, steam and android :yayps3:
this is how it's looking now
upload_2018-12-11_11-37-17.pngupload_2018-12-11_11-42-49.png
Got a damaged unique skin :P lolol
I need to "make" again a piece of the broken hosing (that thing that goes between the RL 1 and 2) that lost a piece XD the resin damaged the plastic a bit ... but it's better than before... and working B-)
upload_2018-12-11_11-43-11.png
Thanks again for all the help, @testerfan! if wasn't you I would be still looking for this component :bow:

For the White controller, It still need the contact rubber for one of the RLs, I'm going to try improvise it for now because I like to do :P lol (a set of rubber isn't THAT expensive here but shipping is like more than half of it's price lol)
one of this thing:
upload_2018-12-11_11-55-1.png
(I went to a place where they fix console and asked for this piece, the dude don't seems like wanted to help, told me if I bring him the controller, he would fix for [price of a used one] and making everything new again... after I did the harder part? no, thank you :rolleyes:)
Testing the controller the L2 is activated, don't matter if have it not the rubber there ... I'm going to open it all again and see if everything is well connected and clean XD
The springs I could get from a fake ps3 controller, it's looks even stronger than the original lol
and the R2 is the plastic part I need because the one I got is for the other PS4 controller model, I'm going to try sculpt it a bit and see if it fits :ph34r:
other small thing is the track pad connector is broken on the part that hold the pad's ribbon, but I think I can make it fit there
lol I used too much emoticons this time

Last edited by Sliter,

Sliter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
update!.. actually calling for help lol

Testing the controller the L2 is activated, don't matter if have it not the rubber there ... I'm going to open it all again and see if everything is well connected and clean XD
it was well connected, I cleaned again but this problem persists.. I shaped the buttons ribbon with the blue controller, and the same kept, one working perfectly and other with the L2 activated, so it isn't a problem with the board
I tried to clean the contacts, clean it all but still the same issue, and I can't see any defect or damage on the ribbon, what could be the reason?
Edit: I think I found the problem! there was a small flip on the ribbon, and one of he L2 trails seems broken ... near this black thing I have no idea what is
upload_2018-12-13_17-52-17.png
upload_2018-12-13_17-52-55.png

there a way I could fix it? I don't think using a soldering iron here is a good idea xD

Last edited by Sliter,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    D @ diamondsofmayhem: G'night!