Hacking Build your own dongle (Research and development thread)

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also got this baby.

A battery can be attached to this little thing. I think I will try to use it to serve the payload too. It includes a screen, and with a custom case it can look fantastic. It's more or less the same price than the unbranded WiFi router with battery (before adding the custom case and the battery), but it includes WiFi, Bluetooth, screen, and the availability and parts are more consistent than the unbranded device. I just need time to test stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_20180607_175130.jpg
    IMG_20180607_175130.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_20180607_175141.jpg
    IMG_20180607_175141.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 757
  • screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 784
Last edited by realjumy,

Retr0id

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also got this baby.

A battery can be attached to this little thing. I think I will try to use it to serve the payload too. It includes a screen, and with a custom case it can look fantastic. It's more or less the same price than the unbranded WiFi router with battery (before adding the custom case and the battery), but it includes WiFi, Bluetooth, screen, and the availability and parts are more consistent than the unbranded device. I just need time to test stuff!

Looks like a cool device, are you sure you can make it do USB host stuff at the correct speeds?

minakmostoles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Looks like a cool device, are you sure you can make it do USB host stuff at the correct speeds?
This is the problem. I think is´t possible because arduino and wemos is´t compatible with the native host mode. Solution
Mini-USB-Host-Shield-Support-Google-ADK-For-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-Duemilanove-Expansion-Module-Board-SPI

Sorry my English is very bad.

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know yet. I'm very short of time lately, and I still have a few projects in my pipeline. At least this looks interesting enough and I will try prioritize it.

Last edited by realjumy,

PsychoRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I also got this baby.

As I understand, the ESP32 still hasn't USB Host capability, are you going to implement a V-USB stack? I'm insterested in looking your progress on this. Good luck :)

Reactions: realjumy

minakmostoles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This is the problem. I think is´t possible because arduino and wemos is´t compatible with the native host mode. Solution
Mini-USB-Host-Shield-Support-Google-ADK-For-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-Duemilanove-Expansion-Module-Board-SPI

Sorry my English is very bad.

No idea yet. But sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the suggestion! ^^
I think this is interesting for you:
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/issues/324

Reactions: realjumy

Kyubnyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got this baby today. :)

6A5215A7-F018-40B3-B294-D78CE64B5D2D.jpeg

Also, building fusee-lede from source takes up quite a bit of space on my system so I'll attach the firmware that sends the hekate 2.3 payload for anyone who wants it. Flash the sysupgrade binary in there instead of the OpenWrt one onto your device in the guide here https://openwrt.org/toh/unbranded/a5-v11.

Attachments

• Hekate 2.3 fusee-lede.zip
    3 MB · Views: 379
Last edited by Kyubnyan,

Wierd_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you planning to maintain updated builds? Or can we update the hekate payload easily, when the image is flashed?
Thanks for sharing with us :)

The image has a folder to push new payloads to. Use something like WinSCP to establish an sFTP session to the device, then just drop the new payload on. Easy peasy.

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just wanted to share that the Callstel Wireless Connected WiFi microSD Cardreader (http://www.callstel.info/WiFi-USB-Cardreader-NX-4211-919.shtml) available in Central Europe via Amazon and Pearl.de essentially seems to be the same device as the ZSUN Wifi Card Reader. I was able to reach a Telnet Shell by setting "`telnetd -p 2000`" (Read: telnetd -p 2000 surrounded in backticks) as SSID for the Wifi Bridge Mode in the Web interface and logging in via Username: root, Password: zsun11888 and was immediately greeted by a Login Banner including "Shenzhen Zsun Cloud Techology Co., LTD". I hope this information is useful for people searching for one of those neat devices. Especially in Central Europe it was hard to find any offerings for the ZSUN WiFi Card Reader and then I've stumble upon this almost identical looking beauty and gave it a try :D

Having 2 Wifi Chips on Board this device is also really cool for a lot of other tinkering jobs, I guess. Happy Hacking, everyone!

[EDIT]
Small Addition to the text and I've added a Screenshot to demonstrate how to enable Telnet (just insert the Text like shown on the Screenshot and click "Confirm").

Screenshot_20180611-200836.png

Last edited by m00k00,
Reactions: tecfreak

Hodorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i'm trying to make a bare metal fuse launcher for the pi zero. (so you can instantly send the payload without waiting).
At the moment only the Switch detecting works. I have to figure out how the usb endpoint thing works.

Kyubnyan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you planning to maintain updated builds? Or can we update the hekate payload easily, when the image is flashed?
Thanks for sharing with us :)
I'll compile updated builds. an easy way to flash them is to:

1. Put the sysupgrade binary file on a USB drive with the FAT32 fs.
2. Rename the binary to firmware.bin
3. Insert the USB drive into the port on the router
4. Turn on the router while holding down the reset button

If you did it correctly it should flash blue, this means that it is flashing the firmware to the device. I like doing it this way since it is faster than using telnet or ssh.

Reactions: Moko and sheg0

ShadyGame

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just wanted to share that the Callstel Wireless Connected WiFi microSD Cardreader (http://www.callstel.info/WiFi-USB-Cardreader-NX-4211-919.shtml) available in Central Europe via Amazon and Pearl.de essentially seems to be the same device as the ZSUN Wifi Card Reader. I was able to reach a Telnet Shell by setting "`telnetd -p 2000`" (Read: telnetd -p 2000 surrounded in backticks) as SSID for the Wifi Bridge Mode in the Web interface and logging in via Username: root, Password: zsun11888 and was immediately greeted by a Login Banner including "Shenzhen Zsun Cloud Techology Co., LTD". I hope this information is useful for people searching for one of those neat devices. Especially in Central Europe it was hard to find any offerings for the ZSUN WiFi Card Reader and then I've stumble upon this almost identical looking beauty and gave it a try :D

Having 2 Wifi Chips on Board this device is also really cool for a lot of other tinkering jobs, I guess. Happy Hacking, everyone!

[EDIT]
Small Addition to the text and I've added a Screenshot to demonstrate how to enable Telnet (just insert the Text like shown on the Screenshot and click "Confirm").

View attachment 131142
So can i use this as a dongle?

Sorry, im just looking for a fast reply, i have to ready this whole thread xD

Last edited by ShadyGame,

Hodorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No. Without raspian that needs 60s to boot.

edit: i dropped this project, since the raspberry driver is pretty bad written and undocumented. (and the trinket m0 is cheap and small af and has already a fuse-launcher)

edit2: some pictures of the trinket m0 with a lipo charger (from adafruit) and a battery and a usb dongle for scale
IMG_20180613_021544[1].jpg IMG_20180613_021616[1].jpg

Last edited by Hodorian,
Reactions: naed06

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's something I'd expect from ancientboi