Homebrew Question Can the Switch Downgrade?

AlphaSapphire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the update you've updated to doesn't burn any fuses from what firmware u were on before you can downgrade with a nand backup.
I want to play Mario Tennis but then come back to 5.0.2

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I thought downgrading wasn't possible yet.
There isn't a noob-friendly method out there still, am I right?
You just restore your NAND backup

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Thats what I want to know If i could play Mario Tennis then return to 5.0.2
Yeah, I really want to buy Mega Man but the update keep me from do it... I'm waiting the CFW just to play GCN Games on portable :yayswitch: So... June 15th is the date...

Reactions: AlphaSapphire

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... If a made a 4.x Backup of my Switch, will I be able to Update to play Mega Man Legacy Collection and Crash, and then restore my Nand Backup? :D
As has been said, as long as Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't require a firmware that burnt fuses above and beyond your 4.x NAND backup, then you can. Otherwise, you cannot.

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
As has been said, as long as Mega Man Legacy Collection doesn't require a firmware that burnt fuses above and beyond your 4.x NAND backup, then you can. Otherwise, you cannot.
The problem is... I don't know which FW are those, but Mega Man LC for Switch was Launched two weeks ago, so maybe it needs FW 5.0 but idk. Can you explain more about these FW that burn fuses?

EDIT:
OK, sorry, I just found what's about that, and XB360 had the same "solution" for downgrading, so... no, I'll have to wait for the CFW or buy a new system :/ Thanks for the info :D

Last edited by MAXLEMPIRA,
Reactions: OrGoN3

mnemonicpunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are 2 types of updates on the Switch: Those that burn fuses and those that don't. Whenever an update burns a fuse, that means NAND backups from before that update can not be booted anymore.

So if you update from 4.1.0 to 5.0.1 for example, you burn a fuse, meaning you can not downgrade to below 5.x anymore.
If, however, you update from 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 you don't burn a fuse, meaning you can downgrade by simply writing back your NAND backup.

As a rule of thumb: When the major version number changes (e.g. 4 -> 5) a fuse is burnt and you can not downgrade anymore. This is not a fixed rule though, occasionally an update will burn a fuse even on same major versions (for example 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1) so always look it up before doing anything rash.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually a good question, are nand backups made before a fuse burn still useful for anything?
Speculation: they contain device unique info, that could possibly be used to hack together with a newer donor nand in case you corrupt yours without a backup.

DigitalJosee

Go your clever boy, and remember me!
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Check this guy doing so:

I don't know French, but isn't there an error message on his switch after the downgrade?

EDIT: "La mise à jour de la console est prête à être effectuée" means "The console update is ready to be performed", so, no errors.

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

Last edited by DigitalJosee,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1d3daJ0HE