Can you build a PC as powerful as the XB1X for $500?

PCWorld have tried, and apparently the answer is a big NO.

XboxOneX.jpg

In an attempt to create a custom built computer with specifications matching exactly those of the newly revealed Xbox One X (which I personally decided to refer to as XB1X but feel to come up with your own acronym), PCWorld concludes that, apparently, for the first time in the history of gaming, a console may be more powerful than a custom built computer of the same price tag at the time of its release!

XB1X specs:
CPU: Custom AMD 8-core @ 2.3 GHz
GPU: Custom AMD chip @ 6.0 teraflops
RAM: 12 GB GDDR5
HDD: 1 TB
OPT: 4K Blu-ray drive

PCWorld's attempt #1
With 8GB DDR3 for a total cost of $652
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-34.png

PCWorld's attempt #2
With 8GB DDR4, for a total cost of $944
upload_2017-6-17_10-1-46.png

So... can you do better than PCWorld? Let us know what you think. PC master race!
Read more at PCWorld

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A single board specialty made device possibly being sold at a loss selling for a lower cost than a bunch of components? You dont say.

That being said in a year or two like always you'll be able to certainly build a lot better for a lot lower price. The thing with these comparisons is the baseline goal of a console's power. Most builders wouldn't "just" build a PC aiming for a console's performance, you can go much further by spending a little more on PC. Not to mention dedicated gaming device with imo poor media capabilities compared to the endless possibilities of what you can do on a PC. If the only thing you do is game than that's cool and all but gaming isn't the end all to a PC.

It's always easy to "win" a comparison when you set the goalposts.

Last edited by 59672,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Pff Amatures! I got a better system for rougly 530$, (OEM license from a REDDIT place) I could have choosen another CPU, for 30$ more and got an 8 core instead of a 6 core. However the speed on the 6 core was a lot faster than the 8 core so it would have evened out.
Then again, these people aren't selling at a loose profit. So yeah, it's perfectly possible to build a system close to the specs of the Xbox One. Of course I don't know how much the parts will cost around the release of the Xbox One X.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXQNwV

PCWorld is as trustful as Kotaku, so I wouldn't even try to listen to their advices ;)

that's a pretty good config and to be fair I'm sure you would get pretty much the same performance as the XB1X, but...
- the XB1X has 12GB GDDR5, your config only comes with 8 GB DDR3. I am not sure that this would make a huge difference but still pointing it out
- no operating system (you cant just get away with "I'm getting it for free from somewhere", or else this isn't a fair comparison)
- the blu-ray player you selected, I honestly have no idea - does it support 4K?
- your selection includes a $10 discount which isn't fair either
- 6 core CPU: you say it evens out due to superior raw core power ? fine I'll take your word for it ... but it's still a 6 core. Just pointing out facts.
- no keyboard, mouse, or any input device included
- 430W PSU, is that not a little low if you want to run games on 4K?

at the end for $530 (or $540 if you dont include the discount) you are still not getting the same specs as the XB1X

Last edited by Costello,

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
It make sense to sell the console cheap and profit on games.
People buy the console once, but games can be made, remade, remastered, collectors edition, dlc, subscriptions, etc.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's a pretty good config and to be fair I'm sure you would get pretty much the same performance as the XB1X, but...
- the XB1X has 12GB GDDR5, your config only comes with 8 GB DDR3. I am not sure that this would make a huge difference but still pointing it out
- no operating system (you cant just get away with "I'm getting it for free from somewhere", or else this isn't a fair comparison)
- the blu-ray player you selected, I honestly have no idea - does it support 4K?
- 6 core CPU: you say it evens out due to superior raw core power ? fine I'll take your word for it ... but it's still a 6 core. Just pointing out facts.

at the end for $530 (or $540 if you dont include the discount) you are still not getting the same specs as the XB1X

I mean is it fair to include the OS in the cost? Microsoft doesn't pay a fee since they developed their OS in-house. You could also argue that Linux is a valid OS and it's free so.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
True enough, neither did theirs comparison. That's what I ment about "amatures" for being a PC website, they kind of dropped the ball. I don't know how legal/gray that subreddit is. I was aiming for Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Home. 8.1 I can get for 20$ and Windows 10 Home for 40$. That's why I upped the price. I don't know about the bluray, I actually didn't check. I was looking for external once, but it didn't look as clean.

Yes, it's 6 cores. It's not all about the cores. There are i5s beating i7s that are 2 cores (with hyperthreading) vs 4 cores (with hyperthreading). You got to account that I can overclock the GPU and CPU. I would therefore even got a couple of more FPS for free.
Sure a keyboard and mouse, very basic is like 10$. No I don't account for a monitor or TV, it's not a fair comparison :P

GDDR5 uses lower voltage than a normal memory. Therefore they kind of match. Why Microsoft didn't go with GDDR5X just blows my mind.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
- the XB1X has 12GB GDDR5, your config only comes with 8 GB DDR3. I am not sure that this would make a huge difference but still pointing it out It really wouldn't.
- no operating system (you cant just get away with "I'm getting it for free from somewhere", or else this isn't a fair comparison) Linux is technically available. But yeah, you're right. (and so is piracy :^)
- the blu-ray player you selected, I honestly have no idea - does it support 4K? Doesn't even matter, no way you're going for 4k with this type of PC.
- your selection includes a $10 discount which isn't fair either Says who? Building is about finding the parts yourself, there will be discounts eventually on the XB1X.
- 6 core CPU: you say it evens out due to superior raw core power ? fine I'll take your word for it ... but it's still a 6 core. Just pointing out facts. FX6300 is probably a lot weaker.
- no keyboard, mouse, or any input device included No headset or accessories for the console included either, you get one controller, that's it.
- 430W PSU, is that not a little low if you want to run games on 4K? There's no fucking way a RX580 is running games at 4K, plus the power supply doesn't affect performance, it just supplies the power to the system.

at the end for $530 (or $540 if you dont include the discount) you are still not getting the same specs as the XB1X Yep, but the PC experience is undoubtedly better, and steam sales are beautiful (games will be cheaper) .

Last edited by iAqua,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't see why it matters if it's not a pefect match or not. The challenge was "as powerful", not 1:1.

I don't know about the bluray, I actually didn't check. I was looking for external once, but it didn't look as clean.

Doesn't matter. Won't play it on that system.

DRM nonsense means you need Skylake (but more than likely Kaby for most stuff) + some other requierments, it's fucking stupid. Paranoid companies making it more trouble than it's worth.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Doesn't even matter, no way you're going for 4k with this type of PC.
I think Costy's point was that you couldn't use the drive to watch 4k movies.

Reactions: Deleted User

0nethe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Do not also forget that Microsoft is probably buying from the manufacturers and not the distributors or retailers hence price might be lower than you may think.
You will be surprised to see how much your PC cost from the manufacturer's point of view. Because there are a whole supply chain going on from Manufacturer => distributor/wholesaler => retailer => customer , price going up at each level.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when it comes to 4k, a lot of the onus is put on the gpu rather than the cpu. if you have a build with a not-so-great cpu, but a really great gpu, then upping resolution will result in a smoother experience. i'm assuming it's something similar in this case.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
when it comes to 4k, a lot of the onus is put on the gpu rather than the cpu. if you have a build with a not-so-great cpu, but a really great gpu, then upping resolution will result in a smoother experience. i'm assuming it's something similar in this case.
I'm well aware of this, but a RX580 with a ryzen 1800x still wouldn't be able to run games at 4k.

D

Deleted User

image.jpg

Here's a build I found.You just need anoughter 8gb's of ram to match the one x's.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is the 580 expected to push 4K native on everything?

The xbox one X is not going to be native 4K on everything. Assassins creed is already confirmed checkerboard upscale and the the logo Microsoft are using for 4K indiactes native, upscaled or checkerboard.

Little unfair to expect the pc to be doing native while the console doesn't.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow. I wonder if they are taking a big loss on every console that gets sold.

Of course economy of scale will help them get each one for a little less, but I still find it hard to believe they will be making any profit off of these systems.
The difference is that they are working directly with the manufacturer and getting specialized components instead of what is available to the open market. Instead of the hardware needing to have capabilities to work with a wider set of other hardware, they can use components that are cheaper to make and have lower tolerances.

Just comparing specs never gets you anywhere. Consoles may be getting close to being PCs, may have similar hardware, but they are not PCs and do not function in the same kind of environment.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the people that say that they can build a 4k 60fps computer for 500 dollars..

lol pass me the the good shit that your smoking

we do not have that tech

...yet

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I don't know much about economics or whatever but the Xbox One X looks like a make or break effort for Microsoft. I can't wait to see this play out.

Heh. I bet that if I was really rich I could buy a bunch of One X's and buy no games for them to screw over Microsoft because the only chance they have in making a profit would be by selling games. That'd be funny.

Last edited by Seliph,
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, $500 for 12GBs GDDR5, 6Tflops of raw GPU power, and a decent CPU, coupled with a very efficient architecture and with the better game optimization of a console, there's no way you're going to be able to build a PC right now at that price point. Give it two or three years and you will eventually be able to, but for right now, the Scorpio is actually a good deal for the hardware.

Reactions: netovsk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSORc_3_Yw