ROM Hack Can you edit the button controls on a ds rom?

• Thread starter Jugo
  • Start date
  • Views 13,369
  • Replies 27
  • Likes 1

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country

Attachments

• KirbySSUPatch.zip
    103 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by skawo,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reupload.

"pretty primitive; all it does, is it takes the pressed buttons value, then swaps the values around."
It is a valid and fairly simple technique. Works, results in a small patch, does not slow down the game, should not tread on the toes of anything else, you presumably don't have the simpler choice of abusing an existing controller mapping option (if the game gives you even a bunch of prebaked choices then that can be enough to change those instead)...

If you wanted to hunt down every relevant read of the controls/debounced section and change what bit/bit combo it looks for then go for it, sometimes we have to do something like that if it is only a minigame or section that needs changing (or messes with menus, would also need a massive graphics change or something) but again the method used here is fine.

Xeddius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both very much! I really appreciate it!
Edit:

Xdelta reports "xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT.
Both on Arch Linux and Windows 10.
Is there a way to bypass this issue? It's the USA version of the game dumped from my own card. (The rom works fine on both a real DS, 3DS, DSi (Using SRLoader) and in DeSmuME.

Edit2: Nevermind, I used the -n flag and it patched the file without issue. Patch is working! Thank you very much!

Edit3: :unsure: The game works, but the input is moving way too fast, holding B causes kirby to "Super jump" and navigating the menu is very difficult. It's like the input speed is 10x too fast. I can't jump without Kirby inhaling air and "Floating", bug isn't present with original rom. The button swap definitely worked, but something with the patch causes input to be looping rapidly. Like a turbo function actually.
It applies to all input, holding down any button causes it to press that button repeatedly (Which isn't normal) I was ignoring it at first because it was pretty playable, until I tried to use the "wheelie" powerup, where pressing the button for just a little too long will instantly make kirby stop rolling.

Last edited by Xeddius,

SentinelMessiah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey skawo I was wondering if you could change the touchscreen controls on chibi robo clean sweep and make them fully mapped to the buttons. If you do that would be amazing!

sunnoki

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Which game would you want this done to?

I'm fairly sure I could get it done pretty quickly.

EDIT:

Oh. OK. Will try.
Hey Skawo, would it be easy enough to remap controls for Mario Kart DS?
like this:
Y=acceleration
B=brake
A=unused
X=use item

constantly holding A for acceleration gets really uncomfortable way too quickly, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by sunnoki,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, gonna block you for real if you keep being like that
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well.... Go ahead my "friend". If it makes you happy :mellow:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Really, blocking him will only hurt you, we will see his messages, but you wont
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, ok i'm not blocking him
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You just got to have thick skin and ignore people online if you don't agree or dislike. The internet is full of clowns.
    +2
    and an 👴 just having fun.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the beach
    Cool :D Wait :unsure::unsure::unsure: Did you say Bleach? :O
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, without the l
    +1
    Enjoy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Enjoy wacking yourself off, old man?
    +1
    Always :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Man bought a $20 a gauge at Amazon that was all fancy digital went to hook it up did t detect shit, then went back and bought an analog worked right away
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 Happens all the time when ordering these iffy things
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    watching xbox direct but the feed keeps getting dc'd, oh well
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    back to MH rise
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's AC Pro which is reputable but more a reason why I don't trust digital in cars
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's AC Pro which is reputable but more a reason why I don't trust digital in cars