Can't boot into SXOS with a game cart inserted

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I recently setup a partition based Atmosphere EmuNAND and file-based SXOS EmuNAND, the Atmosphere EmuNAND is on a recent firmware and the SX OS is on the last supported firmware (11.0.0 I believe). Now for whatever reason I can boot the Atmosphere EmuNAND just fine when a cartridge is inserted but the SX OS gives me an error on boot and then restarts asking for boot.dat, if I take the cartridge out before booting SX OS it works just fine. Is there a way to fix this issue, I use fastcfwswitch and it's annoying to have to remove the GameCard any time I want to use SX OS.

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
There is no way to fix it, the cartbridge slot was updated with the newest firmware and the old firmware can't accest to it because of that.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no way to fix it, the cartbridge slot was updated with the newest firmware and the old firmware can't accest to it because of that.
Not even asking to access it, is there a way to disable cartridge specifically on SX OS so I don't have to pull out my cartridge if I want to boot into SX OS.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
XCI emulation works fine. Just the GC reader, and only on SX OS, stock and EmuNAND works fine. That's why I'm wondering if there is a workaround for the stupid issue.
Iirc there is no way to disable it in SX OS. Atmosphere has the nogc config option but to make it easier for the user SXOS would automatically disable the GC slot unless a game card was detected. There is no way to override it natively in SXOS. It may be possible to make a mitm system module to keep it disabled even when one is inserted but I'm unsure. The easier option would be to just install the gamecard to your SD Card and keep it out of your console permanently. Other than those two things there is nothing you can do.

Reactions: HalfScoper

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What CompSciOrBust said or... just.. ditch SXOS altogether?!?
The only advantage it has over Atmosphere (from the using people point of view) is the XCI mounting. To get out the full capacity you'd have to use exFAT to mount bigger XCIs, therefore potentially risking SD card corruption.
Get rid of SXOS, use Atmosphere only and either use cartridges normally and stress-free because of being able to toggle NOGC or install them as (previously dumped) XCI backup to your console.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Iirc there is no way to disable it in SX OS. Atmosphere has the nogc config option but to make it easier for the user SXOS would automatically disable the GC slot unless a game card was detected. There is no way to override it natively in SXOS. It may be possible to make a mitm system module to keep it disabled even when one is inserted but I'm unsure. The easier option would be to just install the gamecard to your SD Card and keep it out of your console permanently. Other than those two things there is nothing you can do.
Yes, contact the sxos developers and ask for help. You payed for that. Sxos is closed code so nobody can help you.

(Sarcasm mode off)

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Yes, contact the sxos developers and ask for help. You payed for that. Sxos is closed code so nobody can help you.

(Sarcasm mode off)
To be fair I'm sure they would still be supporting it if N didn't send C&D notices to damn near everyone involved. Obviously there are the three big names that the US wants but behind the scenes a lot more people (even the ones who played minor roles) got letters telling them to shut the fuck up if they don't want to be sued. Given the choice between staying silent or helping someone who gave my boss $40 4 years ago and having my family lose their house over it I know what I would pick.

Reactions: binkinator

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only advantage it has over Atmosphere (from the using people point of view) is the XCI mounting. To get out the full capacity you'd have to use exFAT to mount bigger XCIs, therefore potentially risking SD card corruption.
Get rid of SXOS, use Atmosphere only and either use cartridges normally and stress-free because of being able to toggle NOGC or install them as (previously dumped) XCI backup to your console.

Another Atmo user making erroneous statements about SXOS!

It's XCI loading FROM USB DEVICES that SX users like. HDDs,SSDs,Flash drives, SD readers and any other storage devices I forgot to mention. They all work. And are hot swappable. Atmo can't touch that.

I have a 5TB HDD for docked, 1TB SSD for handheld. A whole array of SD cards and a USB-C reader.All ExFAT. Cheap cheap cheap storage. That's what SX is about.

You can have both. And for free these days. You have absolutely no reason to lie. You're either misinformed or just spouting your SX hate out of habit. Posts asking to help with SX should not have replies just saying to ditch it. That's not helpful and not in "the spirit of the thread" and therefore technically against the rules. Even if mods will never do anything about it. Stop trolling.

Until Atmo supports direct from USB loading SX will always be useful. Once you understand this and give actual helpful advice we'll all be better off. Just because "SX is useless" is popular opinion doesn't make it true. Please stop responding to things with propaganda and try actual facts.

OP, the Cart reader isn't useable by SX if the slot is updated past 11.0.. nothing you can do. No way to disable it either. Install the game and move on.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
You know you can split .xci into 4gb parts right? On Fat32

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know you can split .xci into 4gb parts right? On Fat32
Yes, I did. And IF I didn't THAT would be USEFUL INFORMATION. THANK YOU for trying to be fair and accurate!

I'd like to point out, The ExFAT issue is Nintendo's shit driver. Not a SX issue. Atmosphere has the same issues if you drop a NSP/XCI on the SD directly. Why do Atmo users think this is a ticket to complain about SX?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please stay on-topic. user is asking about SXOS. either help with information that will address OP's problem / explain why it isn't possible and what the alternatives are (politely), or it's off-topic.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP. I don't think it was clearly stated whats going on with your question.

Every once in a while, Nintendo updates the firmware for the GC Slot itself. The GC Slot has it's own firmware and efuses. If the system firmware sees the wrong fuse count you get the error. In essence, your Game Cart slot is tied to a certain firmware range.

To avoid the error, and protect efuses, CFWs disable the slot.

In Atmo, to disable the Cart Slot you turn NOGC to ON. SX has the GC slot disabled by default.

If you want to use the slot in Atmo you disable NOGC, enabling the GC slot and bringing efuses up to date for that System firmware. If NOGC is enabled, it does not matter whats in the slot because it's inactive.

SX has no option to turn the GC slot protection off and on. Instead SX keeps the GC disabled unless a cart is inserted.

When you start with the cart in SX with the 11.0 EmuNAND, and the GC slot is updated past that, the firmware sees the efuse discrepancy and errors out.

Nothing you can do.

Install the cart and eliminate the need for the GC slot to be active in SX or remove the cart before switching to SX.

That's your options.

BTW, i truly recommend getting away from the file based EmuNAND. They are known to corrupt. This can cause you to lose all of your data and in general cause a huge headache. Instead use Dual Hidden Partitions. They are far more stable, faster and the are a much better long term solution that isn't susceptible to Ninty's crappy drivers and allocation issues.

I have a guide here

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...en-partitions-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/

It's easy, takes time to process things but the hands on time is next to nothing and you'll be better off. You can shrink the SX EmuNAND too if you like. I use Super XCI for all my SXOS stuff. That way the game updates and DLC are in the XCI and can be easily and neatly stored on a USB device ready to be mounted.

I moved all installed games to Atmosphere, SX is for USB loading only on my setup. The EmuNAND is just for save games and firmware at that point. It will reduce the actual time the switch access the EmuNAND and reduce the amount of space that SXOS eats on your SD. I have gone with 8GB and never run out of space on my SX EmuNAND.

Last edited by mikefor20,

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen to Mike everyone he is correct.

Major advantages to both SXOS and atmo to this day. You can use both. There are still over 16TB worth of <11 FW games on the Switch so sxos has its place.

To answer the question, like Mike said if your cart slot was updated it won’t work under sxos. Either rip your cart game or use it under atmo or clean boot.

Reactions: mikefor20

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still awaiting those reports for XCI mounting on SXOS causing SD card corruption with exfat... Stop spreading false information. You come off as very toxic.

Lost cause,small mind. Ignore her. She's dim even for a troll.

SX never caused any corruption. It's Ninty'z drivers. That troll doesn't understand that. Plus, FAT32 is preffered for the SD and split XCI/NSP work as expected.

USB can use ExFAT with no issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSrX0KugCw