Hardware Can't boot PS3 properly :(

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Whenever I turn on my 250GB Slim PS3, it comes up with the error 'the file system is corrupted and must be restored.'. When I start it up in safe mode, whenever I choose an option it just freezes! Please help!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
First of all, note down the state of your PS3's status LED's. You can find a guide on how to decypher them and what to do in given situations here. As it stands it could be a number of things - the HDD might be failing, the PS3 might be overheating or you're experiencing some form of hardware damage. From the symptoms I'd say it's the HDD, but do tell what your status LED's indicate.

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In standby mode, it's solid red. After I turn it on, either normally or in safe mode, it's solid green. The status LEDs are just normal.

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Did you do a firmware update prior to the error screen?

Someone in a another forum had the same problem, he fixed it by doing what this member advised him to do.
Other forum said:
formatting the hdd should do it. or if you have another hdd you could slap that one in it and install the firmware, then slap the original hdd in it and reinstall the same firmware.

hope this helps

What he said, hope it helps! ;)

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I try to format the hdd, but when I select the option in safe mode, or any option in safe mode, the whole thing just freezes. It started freezing like this after I downloaded the latest PS3 firmware from the Playstation website to a usb stick, and put it in my PS3, before starting it up in safe mode, and selected the option to update from a usb stick. Before I did this, my PS3 didn't freeze when I selected an option, but just took forever to restore the system (I waited for over 24 hours).

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Did you try with another HDD?
When it freezes, does it freeze at the options or does it freeze after entering the chosen option?

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Great! How did you fix it?
It would be nice to know, for those in the same situation and for future reference.

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just started it up normally, not in safe mode, and it came up with the initial setup (usually it repeats the file system has been corrupted error in a loop). I reentered the time and date, and reentered my wifi settings, and it went to the XMB menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    btei @ btei: why does blue flavour taste so yummay