Hardware Can't Connect to Internet in vWii

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U connects to internet just fine, but in vWii it can't connect at all if apps like WiiFlow or CFG USB Loader want to download covers for my games. I've followed all the instructions for hacking the vWii found in this guide.

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to setup a network in the vWii settings, as it doesn't go through the Wii U.
No such option exists in vWii's options, just save management options. I'm thinking that a certain cIOS needs to be or modified, but I don't know which ones to screw with that aren't already in that guide.

Reactions: cHiLLz747

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1666/p/431

While the Wii U and Wii U software supports WPA2-PSK (TKIP), software developed for the Wii is not compatible with this security type.

When viewing the connections you have set up within the Wii U Internet Settings, a Wii logo will appear if your Wi-Fi network is compatible with Wii games.

//EDIT: As I wouldn't recommend lowering WiFi security I would recommend a LAN adapter instead. It is (v)Wii compatible:
IMG_20200609_072455.jpg

Last edited by V10lator,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

actually, these apps should still be able to connect otherwise you wouldn't be able to download box art for say usb loader gx.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a suggestion to see if the internet is working at all. try signing into the wii eshop. it should let you sign in, but it will say that it's closed since last year iirc. I signed in to buy mega man 9 and 10 dlc when I couldn't get it to work in the vwii. I forgot what the problem was, but I managed to fix it without buying the dlc. since the eshop was closed, I couldn't have anyway.

edit: it's software only that's affected and needs wep or maybe even wpa-1. it's just like ds games on the 3ds. the ds isn't compatible with wpa-2 either. even if it were a problem, you can create a hotspot on your phone and use your phone to connect. that's how I have it with the psp, which isn't compatible either.

Last edited by godreborn,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
actually, these apps should still be able to connect otherwise you wouldn't be able to download box art for say usb loader gx.
in vWii it can't connect at all if apps like WiiFlow or CFG USB Loader want to download covers for my games.
man-facepalming_1f926-200d-2642-fe0f.png

I have a suggestion to see if the internet is working at all.
What's wrong with looking for the Wii logo like Nintendo suggests to do?
IMG_20200609_072455-2.jpg

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: jeannotte

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just as I remembered. I just signed in to the eshop on my vwii. I was playing dkc returns. going back to dkc returns now. wep only applies to wii software, not the wii u's vwii's hardware, which in this case is the same as the wii u's. those apps are specifically updated for the wii u to allow them to use the internet:
20200609_005030_HDR.jpg

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1666/p/431

//EDIT: As I wouldn't recommend lowering WiFi security I would recommend a LAN adapter instead. It is (v)Wii compatible:
View attachment 212594

The image does show both Wii U and Wii, which I think is curious since vWii won't connect online at all.

I'll keep in mind the ethernet adapter option, though my router is on a different floor of the house so it's not a sustainable solution unless one or the other got remove (or I bought a powerline adapter).

I was able to figure out how to use Wii Backup Manager to download cover art and use with CFG USB Loader, and others.

it's software only that's affected and needs wep or maybe even wpa-1. it's just like ds games on the 3ds. the ds isn't compatible with wpa-2 either. even if it were a problem, you can create a hotspot on your phone and use your phone to connect. that's how I have it with the psp, which isn't compatible either.

I'll give this a try if I'm desperate, thanks.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like you may have outdated software. some of that software changes groups of devs, so you may only be able to update to a certain number before you have to update manually. cfg usb loader is one of those.

edit: what I mean to say is that the updater within will only update to the latest from that group, since the update link changes.

Last edited by godreborn,
Reactions: Alexander1970

AskingForTrouble

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like you may have outdated software. some of that software changes groups of devs, so you may only be able to update to a certain number before you have to update manually. cfg usb loader is one of those.

edit: what I mean to say is that the updater within will only update to the latest from that group, since the update link changes.
It's all of my vWii apps, not just my USB loaders.

Ulises690

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten the food channel installed on vwii and I can't use it because I can't connect to the network on vwii but maybe someone can make a mod to make it possible because the wii u can do it so vwii is part of the wii u
and it might be possible to mod the wii u to make it possible to connect to wireless networks that are WPA2-PSK (TKIP) type on vwii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1