Hacking Emulation Homebrew Could you explain to me why there are no standalone emulators on Wiiu using aroma?

MVRodrigues7k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wanted to understand why there are no standalone emulators for the WiiU in Aroma, the Wii U virtual console works very poorly and it's not even worth doing a Rom Inject in my humble experience and the console doesn't even have ports of some emulators, since it It would have the power to emulate even the PSX/N64.

A guy told me that I could simply use the Vwii and use Wii emulators, but man I'm asking precisely because I wanted to use the 1080p output of the Wii U itself for this, if I use the Vwii it's in 480i and it looks very ugly on TV.

(Don't tell me to emulate on a PC, I'm just trying to understand if it's something related to the Wiiu hack, programming, lack of interest or whatever reason.

neverends4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe because no one think it worth the effort/Too few users?
There is retroarch on Wii U btw, though not running under Aroma atm.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why are Brazillians always this snubby when it comes to video games. You would think not being able to affort games would humble some people but... Apparently not.

• Sad
Reactions: Evilengine

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New to the scene? Standalone emulators native to the Wii U have simply never really been a thing outside of a few outlierslike the PSP. Fortunately plenty of vWii standalone emulators can be turned into Wii U channels complete with Pro Controller and Gamepad compatability. Sure, you don't get to upscale to 1080p, but the likes of the NES, SNES, GB/C, GBA, N64, PS1, Genesis, Master System, etc. were never meant for HD resolution to begin with. So really the only real detriment is the additional few seconds it takes to load a vWii homebrew inject from the Wii U side of the console. Nothing to really complain about, though I would love to see more native to the Wii U hardware single system emulators all the same. Still, between the great vWii emulators, the few Wii U built emulators like PPSSPP, and Retroarch to cover the rest (even if you have to boot into Tiramisu instead of Aroma to access it), I'm personally finding nothing to actually be upset about here.

Reactions: MVRodrigues7k

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Simple answer, not enough interest/challenge by the hacking community, maybe it has something to do with the fact creating WiiU VC is rather easy plus the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii and its homebrew.

MVRodrigues7k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why are Brazillians always this snubby when it comes to video games. You would think not being able to affort games would humble some people but... Apparently not.
Games are not cheap in my country but I still insist on paying for them, it's not a question of being a snob, you crazy person, but a sincere doubt about emulators jailbreaking the console using the aroma version, I didn't ask the question in bad taste or with the intention of pirating Wiiu games that I can easily buy if I want, but just to understand why there are no standalone emulators for the console without using retroarch.
Post automatically merged:

Because you didn't code them!
If I knew how to program, you can be sure I would be doing this, friend.

Aroma came rather late in the console's lifecycle. I guess at one point compatible emulators will be released, since there are a number of people dedicated to Wii U still. If emulation is really your main use you can change back to Haxchi, etc?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/14429
I use my old Wii to emulate old consoles, I even jailbroken it just for that and I recently acquired a Wii U and I thought it would be cool to let my new emulation center be used in the living room, you know, I didn't know what the console scene was like in that aspect and When researching I saw that there was only the emulator retroarch, but to be honest I prefer standalone emulators. I'll look into Haxchi and thanks for the link!

Use a PC to emulate them roms. :creep:
It really is a better experience but I like playing in the living room and I haven't had the opportunity to build a mini PC just for that yet, but it's on my list.

Simple answer, not enough interest/challenge by the hacking community, maybe it has something to do with the fact creating WiiU VC is rather easy plus the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii and its homebrew.
Yes I agree. But there are limitations when using the vwii, the biggest example is the resolution that using an emulator of the Wii u itself would be an absurd improvement, at the moment I'm using the vwii with the 480p mod but it still doesn't take advantage of the wii u being 1080p .

New to the scene? Standalone emulators native to the Wii U have simply never really been a thing outside of a few outlierslike the PSP. Fortunately plenty of vWii standalone emulators can be turned into Wii U channels complete with Pro Controller and Gamepad compatability. Sure, you don't get to upscale to 1080p, but the likes of the NES, SNES, GB/C, GBA, N64, PS1, Genesis, Master System, etc. were never meant for HD resolution to begin with. So really the only real detriment is the additional few seconds it takes to load a vWii homebrew inject from the Wii U side of the console. Nothing to really complain about, though I would love to see more native to the Wii U hardware single system emulators all the same. Still, between the great vWii emulators, the few Wii U built emulators like PPSSPP, and Retroarch to cover the rest (even if you have to boot into Tiramisu instead of Aroma to access it), I'm personally finding nothing to actually be upset about here.
Yes, I'm using the vwii for this but as you mentioned and that's what I thought would gain an advantage with the wii u would be having emulators on better hardware and the resolution being 1080p, I should have researched more about the gaming scene Wii U emulators, but it's not something that causes me any problems, just a question.

Last edited by MVRodrigues7k,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What old consoles do you want to emulate exactly? Cause VC is good for many consoles, only N64 is a bit bad and IIRC SNES games needing some expansion chip won't work.

I'll look into Haxchi and thanks for the link!
Do not go to Haxchi but stay on Aroma. There's no benefit in switching to obsolete CFWs. If you want RetroArch just use a dualboot setup with Tiramisu.

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: j