Capcom starts adding anti-cheat and anti-modding "Enigma Protector" DRM to older titles on Steam

capcom-is-adding-drm-enigma-protector-to-their-back-catalog-v0-DN1v084rnkvQVxhVoqSF9iJTdc1VTDC...png

Capcom has been in the spotlight these past years due to their successful new entries in beloved franchises like Resident Evil, Street Fighter and Monster Hunter. However, during these past years they have had their fair share of controversy as well, like using Denuvo DRM in some of their titles, which has been proven to affect performance of titles like Resident Evil 8 compared with the same game with DRM removed, and today, something similar has been making the rounds online, as Capcom has been caught updating older titles with an intrusive DRM.

Resident Evil: Revelations was one such title, in which Capcom added a sneaky update on January 8th for Steam, which seemed to fix a couple bugs still remaining from the release (like fixing Jill's Samurai Edge's weapon recognition), but also added Enigma Protector DRM, which started to cause issues with mods already installed for the game, causing it to crash. Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection, Mega Man Battle Network Collection and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective have also been titles affected by this intrusive DRM update by Capcom as well.

The "Enigma Protector" DRM is yet another type of protection for executable files, and when implemented into games, it basically strips away the option to use cheats and mods into said games through a series of memory checks. Adding to this, it's important to note that a lot of Capcom's older titles up to this day still retain a lot of bugs, glitches, and even possible game breaking issues, which to this day have yet to be addressed officially by Capcom, and leaves only the fanbase to take action and fix some of these issues through mods, and with the inclusion of this DRM, some of these fanmade fixes could end up being completely broken, effectively rendering certain older games unplayable to some users.

However, the issues don't stop with just disabling modding and cheats for single player games, but it also has been confirmed to cause performance issues in titles with this DRM implemented, reducing framerate for some titles from 10 to up to 20 fps in some dire cases.

Given the whole ordeal, users went into the Enigma Protector threads to bring forth the problem of their DRM causing performance problems when implemented into their games, and in a very professional way, the response of the Enigma Protector team on their threads leaves a lot to be desired, boiling down to a really aggressive and hostilie response given the light report.

It's important to note that as of January 9th, a statement was issued on Steam, mentioning that there was an issue observed in the January 8th update, and that the update will be rolled back, but they specify that once the issue is resolved, the update will be added back once again.

Regarding the update said:
Due to an issue observed with the latest update released, we have reverted the corresponding update.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, and once the issue is resolved, we will re-release the update.
Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation.

This seems to be yet another instance of DRM affecting legitimate users and legitimate users only, since those that desire it can either roll back the update through some of Steam's options, or just completely sail the high seas and play a cracked version of the games, more so for older and single player titles that have played just fine and have thrived from the modding scene without official interference for decades at this point.

To add salt to injury, titles that have seen this intrusive DRM added into them are no longer working on Steam Deck.

For those interested in how to roll back updates through Steam, user @MaxiBash has provided instructions on how to roll back the updates for the affected games on Steam so far in a post in this thread.

UPDATE:
A supposed list of more Capcom games that have been affected by Capcom's inclusion of the Enigma Protector DRM has surfaced:

:arrow: Resident Evil: Revelations "Regarding the update" notice
:arrow: Original Enigma DRM thread and archived link

Ethelbert

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ghost Trick doesn't have a clean official version. Even if you download the old one, it'll have Denuvo, which is probably even worse than Enigma. But the latest EXE with Enigma removed is available online on that forum where these things are available. I don't think Ghost Trick has a tons of mods like RE games do, so it's mostly useful for archival purposes.

Anyway, I think some leaked Capcom info included a presentation slide about mods potentially hurting the perception about the games/franchise or some crap like that. They probably seethe about nude mods, I guess.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
so, how they gonna do that with already spreaded " alternative copies" of the same games, in t0rr3nt trackers etc? idk, it feels like a sh0t in the f00t, rather than a good move. i mean, i understand (but not agree) when a company put denuvo and similar on a NEW GAME, to stop a game from being p1r4t3d, but games already released (and also already avaliable without DRM in alternative form through the Internet)... why? (and yes, i understood that they think about stop mods and cheats, not p1r4cy) but still, like i said, alternatives are avaliable in other places...

Japermen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, how they gonna do that with already spreaded " alternative copies" of the same games, in t0rr3nt trackers etc? idk, it feels like a sh0t in the f00t, rather than a good move. i mean, i understand (but not agree) when a company put denuvo and similar on a NEW GAME, to stop a game from being p1r4t3d, but games already released (and also already avaliable without DRM in alternative form through the Internet)... why? (and yes, i understood that they think about stop mods and cheats, not p1r4cy) but still, like i said, alternatives are avaliable in other places...
You are allowed to say the words you have censored.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they are simply testing the waters by using it on older games.
Oh, I guess that makes sense. I think they were giving away this game for free at some point. I just dislike when companies add or change shit like this, AFTER we bought the game, like what they did to Skull Girls and Superhot.

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Oh, I guess that makes sense. I think they were giving away this game for free at some point. I just dislike when companies add or change shit like this, AFTER we bought the game, like what they did to Skull Girls and Superhot.
Seriously, Superhot is for me the most egregious and outright malicious example. Imagine you releasing a game, which your customers love, and because of some unstable, mentally ill people in this world (which will always exist), you actively curb to the whining and bitching of some internet losers, and in order to garner shoulder-pat and political points, censor your game that was beloved by everyone prior to your censorship. You couldn't possibly be any dumber and out of touch than the Superhot dev. Absolute clown 🤡

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to leave a negative review on Steam for all effected games that you own and to refund as many as you are eligible for. Decrease in profits is the only language these crooked companies understand.

Reactions: BigOnYa

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to leave a negative review on Steam for all effected games that you own and to refund as many as you are eligible for. Decrease in profits is the only language these crooked companies understand.
company jugganuts (yes i spelled it wrong on purpose) like capcom apparently don't care about lost profits (unless it's piracy)

Reactions: bonkmaykr

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Make me hate a game company speedrun (Any%, WR, No TAS)

This entire thing was done because somebody was having a temper tantrum that other people are enjoying Capcom games the way they want and decided to be the fun police. There is no monetary incentive to even do this anymore on most of these games. It's just being a fucking dick for the sake of being one. And that response from the Enigma staff, are those guys like teenagers or something? I've only ever seen responses that bad from other players on the COUNTER-STRIKE FORUMS, THAT is the level of IQ we are dropping to now.

If I could still refund Monster Hunter and MVCU, I would now.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good lord, why!? I just bought resident evil village, Devil May Cry 5 and Monster Hunter Stories 2 Wings of Ruin last month during steam winter sale. Was also gonna buy Mega Man Battle Network Legacy collection since the Denuvo was removed. Glad I got it for Nintendo Switch instead. I hope the console games aren't effected by this either. Way to start the new year, Capcom on a decline. Not even sure to get the Ace Attorney Appolo Justice Collection now. :blink:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?