Hacking CATSFC game compatibility

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
US FF III might work better than the English patch FF VI rom I used. If not, FF VI Advance probably works fine with TempGBA.

Awesome list, btw. I'll try to get those added to the OP when I can (along with the others a few posts above).

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I did use US FFIII. Haven't gotten that far though, so I have no idea... was playing with the 'FFVI Uncensored Woolsey hack' one that used the US FFIII.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been a while, but I'm going to try to get more games tested, starting with the ones posted on the previous page. Gotta check Axelay/Pilotwings/Wolfenstein again too to keep the 'unsure' box empty. Got a couple things to add, at least.

Final Fantasy V - English translation. Did a full 30-ish hour playthrough and saw only your usual hiccup that you'd have to look for to see.
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Towns (and only towns) lagged disgustingly bad, and then the game randomly crashed the entire emulator at one point. I'll move this over to the wii to see if it's a bad rom or something.

Added a note to Live A Live and Soul Blazer.

Moving Terranigma to light green because the first boss had disappearing crap everywhere. I actually found it really uncomfortable and had to move it over to the wii, so it may not even belong there. If someone plays it all the way through and finds problem I'l move it.

Digitsie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try grabbing a NTSC patch for Terranigma, as the (E) rom is a PAL. See if it improves the graphics... I don't remember any issues but I haven't gotten to the first boss.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Boss (of the poisoned tree place) was the only thing I had any problems with. I only REALLY switched it over to the Wii because I just didn't like how it controlled on a DS (had nothing to do with the emulation itself). I'll try the patch, though.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally got to updating this. Tried most of the roms that others have on the last page (and some others). Left a bunch off because I either couldn’t get a good patch, or couldn’t get it to work and it didn’t work on Wii either. Need to look for different roms. Also as always some of these games are long and I naturally didn’t do a full playthrough of them.

AAAHH!!! Real Monsters – Music, and some sounds (throwing sound in particular) disappeared in this one very specific spot in the first level.
Addams Family Values
Aero Fighters – Little hard to see things flying at you, but I’m guessing that’s the small screen and not the emulation. RetroVortex mentioned your own fired bullets maybe not being animated correctly.
Aero the Acrobat – BGM gone after 30 or so seconds of entering a level.
Aero the Acrobat 2 – BGM gone almost immediately after entering a level.
Alcahest – English patch.
Alien vs. Predator
American Gladiators
An American Tail: Fievel Goes West – BGM maybe seemed a little jittery.
Animaniacs – Not purely smooth, but not bothersome.
Arcana
Assault Suits Valken – English patch.
Bastard!! – English patch. Saw the mode 7/3D fighting game thing it had going and thought it was going to be a trainwreck. Looks to run perfectly.
B.O.B. – Music slowed down while in the end-level swirl.
Brandish
Brandish 2 – English patch. Little slower on the opening cutscene, could be like for the rest of them.
Choujikku Yousai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie – (J) rom, not an English patch. It’s a side-scroller shooter so it’s probably not really necessary.
Clock Tower – English patch.
Cyber Knight – English patch.
Cyber Knight II – English patch.
Cyborg 009 – English patch. Music might be inconsistently jumpy.
Dark Law – English patch. No sound on title/menu, it looks like.
Dragon Quest I & II – English patch.
Dream Maze – English patch.
Emerald Dragon – English patch.
Famicom Detective Club Part II – English patch.
Glory of Hercules III – English patch (“Heracles no Eikou III”).
Gunple Gunman’s Proof – English patch. Protagonist sprite looks to go a little weird when charging a shot.
Jojo’s Bzarre Adventure – English patch (“Jojo no kimyou no bouken”).
Kuusou Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy – English patch.
Little Magic– English patch. No title music, but I can’t find a video that suggests the game actually has any.
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Madou Monogatari – English patch.
Magic Knight Rayearth – English patch. This worked for me really well. I only played a few minutes, though. Didn’t load for Digitsie; might have had a different patch than I do. Not sure if I’m allowed to be specific on patches (nor am I even sure I can find what patch is with the rom).
Magical Pop’n – English patch.
Magna Braban – English patch.
Megami Tensai: The Old Testament – English patch (“Kyuuyaku Megami Tensai”).
Miracle Girls – English patch.
Monstania – English patch.
Neugier: Umi no Kazo no Kodou – English patch.
Nightmare Busters
Paladin’s Quest – This is the first “Lennus” (Lennus II is above).
Popeye: The Tale of Seahag the Wicked Witch – English patch “Popeye Ijiwaru Majo Seahag no Makki).
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story – English patch.
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R – English patch.
Ranma ½: Chougi Rambu Hen – Japanese rom (fighting game). Can’t put my finger on what, but it seems a little off to me. Could be persuaded to put it in light green if someone else plays it and thinks it should be there instead. Then again this probably isn’t a high-demand game for DS emulation.
Ranma ½: Hard Battle - Like the other Ranma game it doesn’t seem perfect but I can’t really name it’s imperfections.
Shadowrun
Shin Megami Tensei – English patch.
Shin Megami Tensei II – English patch.
Silva Saga II – English patch. It think the music stutters a bit in the overworld.
Slayers – English patch.
Super Baseball 2020
Super Valis IV
The Adventure of Hourai High School – English patch (“Hourai Gakuen no Bouken! Tenkousei Scramble”).
Treasure of the Rudras – English patch (“Rudra no Hihou”).
Uchuu no Kishin Tekkaman Blade – English patch.
Worms

Aim for the Ace! – English patch (“Ace o Nerae”). I was actually considering this for dark green before looking up footage of the gameplay, so, yeah, looks good.
Dual Orb II – English patch. Could be a little better, but seemed completely fine. Really the difference between this and the stuff in dark green is minimal.
Holy Umbrella: Dondera no Mubo!! – English patch. Town seemed a bit laggy.
Lennus II – English patch. Lagged a bit, might be when there’s too many animate things on screen.
Panel de Pon – English patch (ocalised as Tetris Attack). Might actually be a little better than Tetris Attack, thought not perfect. I played through eight story battles and the one time I lost, only half of my blocks had the “surprise” face, so that’s was something.
The Magical Land of Wozz – English patch (“Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz”). Wasn’t *great* outside of battle. Didn’t seem to be like that too much, I guess.
Mystic Ark – English patch. Could be a little smoother.

Metal Max Returns – English patch. Kind of slow and laggy. Could probably be the absolute worst in the light green instead of being yellow, but I’ll shove it here.
Violinist of Hamlen – English patch (“Hameln no Violin Hiki”). Think enemies flashed too much. Wasn’t too comfortable with this overall. Felt too laggy to give it a green. Though, not unplayable.

3rd Super Robot Wars – English patch (“Dai-3-ji Super Robot Taisen”). Everything was extremely laggy, bar maybe text movement.
Mysterious Dundgeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer – English patch (Fushigi no Dungeon 2: Fuurai no Shiren” – unreleased outside of Japan until a DS remake which got the localised title of “Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer,” so I guess the fan translator improvised). Really laggy when you’re moving.
Super Gussun Oyoyo 2 – English patch. Slow, awful, barely functional. Looks like a badly moving set of photographs instead of video. Someone else might think it should go in yellow....maybe.

Accele Brid – English patch. Froze when I got control of the actual shooting part.
Eurit [prototype] – Couldn’t even get it to load.
Wonder Project J: Kikai no Shonen Pino – English patch. Text becomes a series of patchy blobs after a few words. Well, the text that you get to see, anyway. Game freezes (other than music) upon being able to choose a name.

Added updates to Mystic Quest and Live A Live, and threw Ys V in the Unsure tag for now.

Reactions: migles

LoganW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a really helpful bit of work. Thank you so much!

I had a couple of additional notes for Lufia II. There was minor slowdown during the casting of a spell, the unreadable text at the end of the game that you noted, and the worst might have been the Submarine Shrine which had the tiles all messed up. You kind of just had to wander around. Thankfully you only have to walk forward for a couple of screens.

Codename PUMA

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had to look that up because I don't remember any problems with that place; turns out it's actually pretty common for emulation of the game. I'll add that into the OP.

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a bit of commentary on Lufia 2, the Submarine Shrine is glitched on the regular cartridge so that's something that is utterly normal for that game. The same glitch is there in level 100 of the Ancient Cave.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...