Hacking Discussion Change Video Settings on Fortnite (Unlock FPS)

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's kind of like cheating, considering everyone else doesn't even know the framerate cap can be removed. I wouldn't be surprised if you got banned just for this, especially if you play on platform-specific servers.

The PC version always uses cross-platform servers, which means players WILL have different settings and may also play with a mouse+kb instead of being forced to use a controller (basically you play at your own "risk").
The Switch version doesn't allow the player to remove the FPS cap, therefore it wouldn't be fair if you did it anyway with a hack. If the XB1/PS4/mobile versions do allow it, then it's fine, since anyone on that specific platform can do it.

Note that a higher FPS means you will see the next frame earlier, possibly even before your opponents! That's why it's "cheating."

Lol, are you implying 20-30ms vs 33.33ms makes a difference for Fortnite players?

Reactions: PeterMount

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Lol, are you implying 20-30ms vs 33.33ms makes a difference for Fortnite players?
I can't speak for everyone but it does make a difference for me, at least. It's a bit easier to aim, shoot, run, etc... with a bit less lag, I can definitely notice it.
In fact, I find the game harder when playing on my laptop without the charger plugged in (and the framerate dropping significantly to avoid damage to the battery).

Last edited by nastys,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't speak for everyone but it does make a difference for me, at least. It's a bit easier to aim, shoot, run, etc... with a bit less lag, I can definitely notice it.

Hmm, actually aiming is a valid point here.

Seeing the enemy earlier doesn't really make a difference here though.

Reactions: nastys

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm, actually aiming is a valid point here.

Seeing the enemy earlier doesn't really make a difference here though.
Perhaps not spotting the opponens per se, but once you have seen them it's easier to aim or run away with less lag.

Last edited by nastys,

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does... does anyone say ROFLMAO anymore? It's not 2008 anymore...

The post was so absurd that I literally said that just because of the absurdity of saying that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In fact, I find the game harder when playing on my laptop without the charger plugged in (and the framerate dropping significantly to avoid damage to the battery).

Just because you don't experience lag, does NOT mean you see anything sooner than another play. You are both confusing framerate with rendering...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn't make it up. Why do you think "pro" gamers prefer playing on 144 MHz monitors with FreeSync/GSync? To reduce latency.
Higher FPS=less time before the next frame is drawn. Assuming you have a 60 MHz monitor, each frame is duplicated at 30 FPS, or quadrupled at 15 FPS (and you can tell it LAGS). After all, FPS stands for Frames per Second, doesn't it?
On the PC version you can even enable the FPS counter, which will also count the time between frames (you should see the latter decrease as the former increases).
Sure, it's just a few milliseconds, but that's actually a lot for some players.

Posts such as yours are useless unless you have a counterargument, and you didn't explain anything. Instead, you literally assumed I was wrong and did no research at all.

By the way, it also makes the game look smoother (duh), but some people can't tell the difference.
144mhz monitors for 120+ FPS are for FLUIDITY, not to see stuff before other players, which is what you initially wrote. Stop trying to save face by twisting and contorting my post.

Your post was bad, end of story - end of thread - end of forum.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Impressive, I couldn't even figure out how to set my character's gender. Only ran it out of idle curiosity tho, I don't expect it to be my kind of game.

nastys

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just because you don't experience lag, does NOT mean you see anything sooner than another play. You are both confusing framerate with rendering...
Okay, I think you misunderstood. I said:
Note that a higher FPS means you will see the next frame a few milliseconds earlier (lower frametimes), possibly even before your opponents!
"FRAME." I didn't say "items," I didn't say "enemies," and I didn't say nor mean anything that's in the frames themselves, okay? I think what you think I meant was LoD, which is another thing entirely.
However it is techically possible that if two people run into each other exactly at the same time (at least theoretically, assuming the connection is that fast) and one of them is running the game at 60 FPS and the other at 30, the one playing at 60 FPS will see the other player 16 ms before their 30 FPS opponent sees them. Believe it or not there are some people whose brains are fast enough to take advantage of those milliseconds.

144mhz monitors for 120+ FPS are for FLUIDITY, not to see stuff before other players, which is what you initially wrote. Stop trying to save face by twisting and contorting my post.
Only a few people can tell the difference based on smoothness. Once you start moving the mouse, you can immediately tell how much time passed between your action and the screen showing the next frame (which is what I meant to begin with, that is time lag).

But what I really meant to say is that while 60 FPS players get a new frame every 16 ms, 30 FPS players get one every 33 ms.

I really don't want to discuss this anymore either to be honest, so... whatever.

Last edited by nastys,

PeterMount

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've tried this multiple times and just tried it with ShowFPS only. Still doesn't work, I've done read-only too and everything.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dumped my save to check for myself, the only FPS options come in the form of bShowFPS and UnlockConsoleFPS, both are set to false.

Now the fact that the system has all permissions to edit every file, I doubt setting it to read-only is gonna help much, though I am curious so I'll attempt it to put an end to the argument.

OP had said that he couldn't get the FPS to unlock even when changing it, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say VSync is the problem with that, but I'll be back in like 5 with my conclusion.

Edit: Nope, read-only or not, the game merely downloads the user settings on every launch, so that's debunked.

Last edited by Wolfy, , Reason: As to not disappoint the double-posting lords...
Reactions: PeterMount

GalaxyYT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Changing anything doesn't work at all as far as I know. The settings seem to be connected to online.
Doubt they're online, but I think they're embedded in the game's internal ini files. I downloaded fortnite through CDNSP but I can't decrypt the NSP because:
1. The game's ACTUAL nsp is 5mb and has no romfs partition (by the looks of it)
2. The update nsp (which is 2.3gb) needs the base nca's romfs, but since it apparently doesnt have one, it spits out "Unable to locate basenca romfs" in hactool.

Last edited by GalaxyYT,

FerLu

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I know this is old but I wanted to say that the Settings that are stored online probably doesn't include the graphics because from what I know in the cloud is only stored control settings and in PC at least it doesn't install your graphics settings in other PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: