GBATemp Member
OP
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The original GBA has a link port on top where the voltage changes depending whether a GBA game (3.3v) or GB/C game (5v) is inserted. I use one of the old wormlights to illuminate the screen, but since the voltage with GBA games is lower, the light is also notably weaker than with GB/C games. Is there any (hardware-)hack to change that? So that it always gets powered with 5v?

wiggatron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rosecoloredgaming.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, the GBA uses a little mechanical switch to let it know if a GB/GBC or GBA game is inserted. Besides the voltage variation, I'm not sure what that switch does for the console. You could try and defeats it and see what happens, but I'm not sure what other affects it may have :/

Reactions: redfalcon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: redfalcon

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
OP
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, the GBA uses a little mechanical switch to let it know if a GB/GBC or GBA game is inserted. Besides the voltage variation, I'm not sure what that switch does for the console. You could try and defeats it and see what happens, but I'm not sure what other affects it may have :/
Indeed, the light is brighter, but it won't boot GBA games that way. I filled the small gap on the cartridge with a piece of paper and tape, but it boots into GBC mode then. Would have been too easy :(

That's what I considered too, but I can't find a way to open the wormlight without breaking the casing open :/

Oh well, seems I have to use my DSL for playing in dim light.

wiggatron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rosecoloredgaming.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, without try to sound like I'm just selling my stuff, I might suggest a backlight kit. Will beat the pants off any worm or front light. It is a lot more expensive though and takes a good amount of work to install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yep, something like that.