Apple Channel 4 news

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

This report make me mad, they're blaming jailbreaking for piracy, when cydia specifically warns you against it
mad.gif

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
'Experts.'
Does that make me an expert? Almost everyone who's ever jailbroken knows that Apple patch the holes and that new exploits need to be found.

Chaz.

Trophies
XP
Country
I jailbroke mine because of customisation, iremix and to get back at apple for discontinuing my touch and developers who have stopped work on 3.0. And also, to developers that have made their games free on a pc, but gotta pay on ipod. (bejewelled 2, impossible quiz etc) its free on pc, so why not on ipod?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Chaz. said:
its free on pc, so why not on ipod?
Because on PC they make Ad Revenue from their website. Something they can't make if they put it on the App Store. As well as this it costs money for the iOS SDK (I think)
You can have ads in iPhone games. But yeah, it costs $99 for a year's subscription to the "iPhone Developer's Program" i.e. access to SDK and ability to submit apps to App Store. Not a fortune for larger companies. But when they CAN charge money, and people will pay, they may as well. They gain little from offering it for free, except perhaps building a name for the company, before unleashing some paid apps which people may then buy because they enjoyed the free ones.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Just watched the report. They say its a taboo practice. Was this before or after that DMCA ruling making jailbreaks legal as long as there's no piracy? Did they do any research showing that the iPhone Dev team among others who do the hacking don't support piracy and only want to be able to avoid the Apple control?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
First of all, there are plenty of people with jailbroken iDevices who have no intention of pirating apps (me for one). Just because someone wants to do any of the following -
* Use non apple approved apps (emulators, os hacks etc.)
* Customize their iThing with icons themes and wallpapers
* Use scripting engines to play older pc games (such as SCUMMVM)
* Actually USE the bluetooth and Wifi for something useful
* Enable fully working features in IOS4 that Apple think you shouldn't have on your older device (wallpaper, multitasking)
* Patch Apple's security holes
* Use flash
Does not mean that they go about ripping off app devs.
I for one am more than happy to pay for ANY app that is good enough to use.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
I for one am more than happy to pay for ANY app that is good enough to use.

+1

"you can download and install applications, full applications without paying for them."

Seriously? They must of got this guy off the street. People need to learn softmodding and piracy aren't the same friggin' thing!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Just watched the report. They say its a taboo practice. Was this before or after that DMCA ruling making jailbreaks legal as long as there's no piracy? Did they do any research showing that the iPhone Dev team among others who do the hacking don't support hacking and only want to be able to avoid the Apple control?

Really? lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH