OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm DarkPacMan77 from the PSP hacking/ homebrew scene and administrator of PSPBrew.com and the Brewology.com Network.
I recently purchased a Nintendo DS Lite from a friend for $50 and would like to get some homebrew on this baby! Care to help me?
wink.gif

I'm a PSP guy, so my NDS knowledge is pretty limited, but from research, I've pretty much concluded that the top choices would be the R4, Acekard 2 (or 2i), and the DSTT/TTDS - and not necessarily in that order or anything.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to play clean NDS backups. I'd like to purchase a microSD card (1-2gb) and a slot 1 flash cart as cheap as possible. I've been around the internet and read a lot
about products being fake in the Nintendo DS scene and I'd really appreciate some of you kind folks letting me know where it is you know of the best deals for legitimate products.

Thanks in advance
wink.gif

DarkPacMan77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, cheapest is probably the biggest thing. I'm not sure if different carts offer entirely different homebrew capabilities, but as I said, I'm a PSP guy, so my portable homebrew needs are more than taken care of in that department.

No offense to the DS!!
wink.gif

I'm thinking Acekard 2 as well, but there was a guy in a post in this section that said he bought from dealextreme and received an EMPTY BOX!! He warned to stay away from them. Know of any better places to order from?

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
First, you should erase the R4 from your list, as it's crap and doesn't get any features from the original team, but you can use YSmenu. In this list i think the Acekard 2 will be the best, but the DSTT is cheaper. Depends on what you want, if you only want homebrew and games, and don't care about extra features, go for the DSTT, but if you want more, go for the Acekard 2. You can get both from DealExtreme pretty cheap with free shipping, but the shipping will take a long time.

DarkPacMan77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply Bert. But may I ask, what exactly does "extra features" include? I've heard of things like slow-motion play and stuff, but is there a cart that can accelerate speeds?

I also read that the Acekard 2 can't do real-time saves. As I understand, this is similar to creating "save states", right? If so, that WOULD be a feature I'd be interested in paying a dollar or two more for, but the goal of this project would be to get a 1-2gb microSD card and a flash cart with an easy interface that plays DS games and homebrew for as cheap as possible.

EDIT: Can Acekard 2 use SDHC?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No cart can speed up games since the DS can't be overclocked in software like the PSP can. However, some can apply slow-motion, which can be helpful for some games. I've only ever really used it in Nanostray, though other games might benefit as well.

RTS is indeed like creating a savestate.

Nearly all carts out there today support SDHC, unless you get an original R4, which as someone else said should be avoided.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
wanting realtime save and being on the cheaper end of flash carts is a bit difficult...

acekard2 sounds the best to suit your needs, but as you said it doesn't have RTS.

Dealextreme is a good website, I've ordered plenty from them (they take up to 2 weeks until the item gets to your door though). The empty box was probably a huge fluke.

Honestly with all the updates carts have been having recently i'm not sure which carts do and dont have RTS. I always tell people to buy the cycloDS evolution, because i know they'll be pleased, but it isn't exactly the cheapest cart...
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol