Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems like it's definitely not a scam, but I don't think I would pay $60 for Cheetahmen :P

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I am so sick of people calling this a scam.
MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY MINDS UP AS TO WHETHER IT IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO SUPPORT OR NOT!

In my opinion its a cool idea, not something I'd donate to but a cool idea. Resurrecting the CheetahMen as a cult classic of complete crap in video games. He's bought the rights to it and is doing this entirely legally. Its not a scam if its not something you want to support.

Its like saying if I buy a copy of Skyrim its a scam because I can pirate a copy on the internet for free. Its like saying that if I buy a Famiclone its a scam because emulators exist. People are being completely ridiculous about this!

Reactions: 6 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see what the issue is - they're hacking the game (again), producing NES repro carts, lots of merch, program an iDevice version (from what I understand - and it'll be rather cheap, too) and surely they already spent some money on advertising their product, buying the rights to the game, and I'm guessing here, the entire franchise as well. I know it's $65000 bucks, but in the game industry, it's *just* $65000. Why should we whine? Because we're jelly? They came up with a product and a way to "sell" it - good for them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to dislike the update 2 video because his voice only came out on one side of my headphones and I thought they were broken.

Reactions: 1 person

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
told you it was a fucking scam from the get go nearly every kickstarter project on that whole site is a scam basically. just look at the shit on that site these morons are donating to i mean there is a project where you plant money and these fuck-tards are paying into it!!!!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

some people really do have more money than cents :lol:

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, First off how is this either James or Mikes fault? seriously! They don't owe us anything other than an apology which from what I read above was what we received. I think James and Mike and all of us were victimized here and should be going after the one who started this whole fiasco not the other way around!

I've got my pitch fork in hand, lets go guys! hang the old geezer! :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
scam (ska:m)
n.
A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams
To defraud; swindle.

Right, not that we've established what a scam is, can people please stop accusing the guy behind this undertaking just because they think $65000 is a lot of money? It's not. Not in the grand scheme of things. He bought the rights to the game, he started a site, made adverts to promote the game, hired programmers that are currently fixing and porting the game and ordered reproduction cartridges that are to be separately named and unique - he did actual work, something most of the whining populace isn't accustomed with. He earned this money. Moreover, it's the donator who decides whether to donate or not. If you don't want to donate, fine, but don't you start lynching people who actually work towards a given goal.

Reactions: 2 people

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's Kickstarter - backers can backout if they want - can't they? The money isn't actually taken until the project is funded at the end, and even then only if they reach the target. If people who have backed this come to think it's a scam, they're only going to get ripped off if they allow themselves to be.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's Kickstarter - backers can backout if they want - can't they? The money isn't actually taken until the project is funded at the end, and even then only if they reach the target. If people who have backed this come to think it's a scam, they're only going to get ripped off if they allow themselves to be.
I heard from another video the suggestion that the guy raising the money could probably afford to fund the rest so the funds already donated would be awarded even if nobody else donates a penny more

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
scam (ska:m)
n.
A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
tr.v. scammed, scam·ming, scams
To defraud; swindle.

Right, not that we've established what a scam is, can people please stop accusing the guy behind this undertaking just because they think $65000 is a lot of money? It's not. Not in the grand scheme of things. He bought the rights to the game, he started a site, made adverts to promote the game, hired programmers that are currently fixing and porting the game and ordered reproduction cartridges that are to be separately named and unique - he did actual work, something most of the whining populace isn't accustomed with. He earned this money. Moreover, it's the donator who decides whether to donate or not. If you don't want to donate, fine, but don't you start lynching people who actually work towards a given goal.

Sheesh I wrote scam for the lack of a better word, ripoff is more like it.

The guy is going to use the already fixed version, he even mentions it in the video. He owned the rights several years before this and he has been doing this sort of thing for a while now.
Why he needs 65,000 is beyond me, there are so many other limited edition reproduction cartridges out there and he's supposedly making it the same way retro USB does it.
It is not that expensive and he will receive money from sold "collectors" cartridges too. If I had the rights I could just contact them instead and sell it for $60 on their site and that's with profit from every sold cart, in his previous Cheetahmen project he sold carts for $200-$500 each just because they would be collector items. Each cart labeled from 1-500.

Some t-shirts and some paper magazines is not going to cut it. He sells this stuff and profits from it and he exploits the stupid fanboy half of AVGN fans because he knows that they are willing to put money into anything if James asks for it.
Sure people are stupid and falls for it but imo it just doesn't feel morally right to do so.

BTW the guy in the other video I posted is a real whiny ass pussy I know, but he does sum up the gist of the story which is what I was looking for.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"Scam." - Claiming they're taking your money and not giving anything in return.

"People looking for a quick buck, also they're bitches and i don't like them." - You just being angry.

Lay off the testosterone, dude, 'cause there's a world of difference.
Hey, I'm not angry...
Just wanted a topic of discussion since they've commented about it.
I like the AVGN and I didn't create the topic as way of bashing him or people who like his stuff, I do however think that there's something very fishy about the kickstarter.

D

Deleted-236924

If the guys who back this kickstarter receive their cheetahmen cartridge and upon booting it up see this:

That would be the ultimate trolling.

I just downloaded that :yay:

Listening to it nonstop on my psp now.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I heard from another video the suggestion that the guy raising the money could probably afford to fund the rest so the funds already donated would be awarded even if nobody else donates a penny more

I don't think Kickstarter works that way, as far as I am aware Kickstarter will release the funds only if it reaches the target.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I don't think Kickstarter works that way, as far as I am aware Kickstarter will release the funds only if it reaches the target.
Yeah, the video was suggesting he could submit the remainder of the funds himself and then get the entire amount back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: