Chinese/Japanese origin debate

leon315

POWERLIFTER
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
From what i see on here, gbatemp seems don't like Gyna(said in orange man's accent) or Chinese very much thus most likely a cold place to teach Chinese.

If you teach Japanese which is a language originated from Chinese, thanks to HUGE AMOUNTS of weebs, will probably receive a huge attention instead.

Ruryk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From what i see on here, gbatemp seems don't like Gyna(said in orange man's accent) or Chinese very much thus most likely a cold place to teach Chinese.

If you teach Japanese which is a language originated from Chinese, thanks to HUGE AMOUNTS of weebs, will probably receive a huge attention instead.

You are right in saying people here don't like China or things Chinese and that Japanese receives a lot of attention, but Japanese is not originated from Chinese, they aren't even from the same linguistic branch; your assertion is only right in talking about Japanese script and vocabulary borrowing.

Besides this, if the group is a place where someone tries to teach Chinese, I guess it will not have a long life. but if the goal is for people who studies Chinese and like games exchange info and so on, it might be a lot better than the average post in gbatemp.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You are right in saying people here don't like China or things Chinese and that Japanese receives a lot of attention, but Japanese is not originated from Chinese, they aren't even from the same linguistic branch; your assertion is only right in talking about Japanese script and vocabulary borrowing.

Besides this, if the group is a place where someone tries to teach Chinese, I guess it will not have a long life. but if the goal is for people who studies Chinese and like games exchange info and so on, it might be a lot better than the average post in gbatemp.
If a civilization didn't have their own language since dawn of history and has to borrow and copy the writing linguistics system from other civilization and kept ever since it's called "borrowing", guess we have really different definition about "originate from", we are done talking here. a little curiosity here, the japanese's ancient records were entirely written in traditional Chinese, wonder why :)

I really applaud such effort as temper X65943 tries to be active and produce something significant in real life.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All languages likely have an origin in the same tongue, but it's true Japanese and Chinese don't share a lot of grammar and the languages seem to be quite distinct (from different language families)

Best comparison is maybe English, being a Germanic language but heavily influenced by French due to French/Norman invasion

Similar thing in Japan, thousands of years of cultural exchange and borrowing of writing system

It is true Japanese used to be written entirely in classical Chinese, same with Korean and Vietnamese - but those languages are also considered to be from separate language families

Yaksa

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The earliest Chinese characters in Japan are generally believed to have been introduced from Buddhist scriptures brought to Japan since the Chinese Tang Dynasty. The kanji of these sutras were originally read in imitation of Chinese pronunciation. By modifying the Chinese characters, Japan developed their own spelling rules, which later became known as hiragana and katakana. If you look into the history carefully now, you will find that most Japanese kanji are related to politics, economy, and culture, and most of the advanced words can be found in Chinese characters. This essentially shows the abyssal influence of Chinese characters on Japanese kanji.:)

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: