Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, I understand >.<

Well, some portable systems can look really good at 15" or 13" (17" is just... far too big for anything in my opinion).

Most portable games tend to look better on their original systems with the original size, GBA games for example, you can use filters to make them look smoother, but they lose some colour quality in return. For DS games, I still haven't seen a single benefit emulation wise. Psp does have some benefits, due to some filters, but a lot of games aren't compatible with it.

Dilute

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Er, I'm no dev, so I have a slight question in my mind.
What's the difference between running homebrews and tunning commercial games?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Er, I'm no dev, so I have a slight question in my mind.
What's the difference between running homebrews and tunning commercial games?
quite a bit, to run commercial games you would need to know a hell of a lot more about the system, imagine a emulator is like a dictionary that has all the words the 3ds uses, this emulator is like the first page only it has the very basics of it, stuff that is already known and used in the current homebrew, there is still a few hundred pages of work to go to learn every other word in the 3ds's vocabulary until that is done the emulator would have no clue what to do when commercial games start chucking new words at it that it doesn't have in its dictionary

all of that AND the roms are encrypted so you cant even start playing them unless they get decrypted or it is learnt how to decrypt them without a 3ds.....i would expect pre-decrypted roms to be the most likely option.....but still the emulator would need lots more work anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The easiest way to describe the difference is that commercial games use system calls and firmware services and early homebrew runs on bare metal. You could nail the hardware with 100% accuracy, but without the firmware you're still in the woods. There's still a lot of mysteries to be solved as far as the firmware is concerned so we're still far from emulating on the level that would allow commercial games to run.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most portable games tend to look better on their original systems with the original size, GBA games for example, you can use filters to make them look smoother, but they lose some colour quality in return. For DS games, I still haven't seen a single benefit emulation wise. Psp does have some benefits, due to some filters, but a lot of games aren't compatible with it.

Even without filters, for 3d stuff, it can generally be rendered internally by the emulator at a higher resolution. This is what the recent unofficial update of the ds emulator (i forget which one it is) does to improve upon the visual quality. The down side is because of the screen's native resolution, in combination with the relatively low cartridge capacity (forcing companies to squeeze every last bit out of the cartridges) ds doesn't see as much benefit from this as say running dolphin against certain wii games does, however there's certainly at least some benefit to it, take a look at Smealum's twitter feed from a few weeks back to get an idea of what jumping up internal rendering resolution can actually do. 3ds might have some benefit from this, i dunno how much though. Filtering is a little different, and can sometimes be more problematic than helpful.

neobrain

-
Trophies
XP
Country
So uh.. I actually meant to post this screenshot here, but then posted it in the 7.2.0-17 system update thread instead because fail and the whatnot :P

Anyway:
aBj1uTh.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4