Classic literature novel Animal Farm to get a video game adaptation later this year

header.jpg

A long time ago, in 1945, there was a book that had just released, which became popular due to its satirical take on politics and its use of the animal world to create an allegory of certain ruling systems used throughout the world. That novel was George Orwell's Animal Farm, which has since become a staple piece of literature in many classrooms. Now, 75 years later, that book is getting a video game based on it. Orwell's Animal Farm is a story-based game developed by Nerial, known for their prior work on the Reigns series, where you'll be able to interact with the world from the novel by choosing how to rule your animal-based republic.

The game is set for a release later this year sometime in the fall, to celebrate its source material's 75th anniversary, and will be available on mobile devices and Steam.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool to see if your choices could lead to multiple endings: for example, the classic cartoon movie had a more triumphant ending than the book, which could be like the bad ending.

The whole thing reminds me of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

Reactions: emon1618

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
witcher, bloodborne, bioshock, metro 2033, and many others
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_novels

Bloodborne is based on a novel, huh?

I think the problem with a lot of the games you listed out is that they were unknowns to people in the US until they got their video game adaptations. Like, I never did see someone at school reading The Witcher books...

Though there was a lot of cringeworthy sparkling going on when I went to high school...

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
witcher, bloodborne, bioshock, metro 2033, and many others
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_novels
I knew about Witcher and Metro, but isn't Bioshock only loosely based on Rand's books/philosophy? And Bloodborne I definitely wouldn't have expected, which book is it based on? It's not listed in the Wikipedia link.

Fairly long list, but a lot of those may just as well have been based on the movies by the same name. Roughly a hundred out of tens of thousands of finished games sounds about right, but that's why I said "not many" instead of "none."

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bloodborne is based on a novel, huh?

I think the problem with a lot of the games you listed out is that they were unknowns to people in the US afail until they got their video game adaptations. Like, I never did see someone at school reading The Witcher books...

Though there was a lot of cringeworthy sparkling going on when I went to high school...
Bloodborne is merely inspired by Lovecraft, like a lot of horror games. Similarly, Bioshock is inspired by Atlas Shrugged. They borrow some elements, but it's a stretch to call them adaptations. It'd be like saying that all zombie games are adaptations of Romero's work. With that said, literature is probably the most common source of inspiration in video games and cinema alike.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A game about talking farm animals? Booooooring.

In today's times we need something with more substance. With a message. With meaning.

Enough with the Pixar crap.
Assuming this isn't a joke and you've truly never read the book, I can promise you that it's virtually the polar opposite of most* lighthearted Pixar themes. :lol:

* Wall-E is actually pretty dark and brutally honest about humanity's current path.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Oh great, another Farmville clone :rolleyes:

JUST KIDDING

I have a vision of a tycoon style game where you play as one of the ruling pigs and need to gather as much wealth/food in a limited amount of turns, by strategically running your farm into the ground: if you sell the horse to the knackers too soon, you might miss on a round of harvest due to a limited work force. And so on.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well that's...different. You don't see many games based on books. Unfortunately the trailer doesn't really provide any info on what kind of game it's going to be, though I'd probably guess point n' click based on the aesthetic alone.
Reigns was a game where you made decisions on how to rule your kingdom by constantly selecting one of two options that were presented to you, so I'd expect something along those lines.

Reactions: Xzi

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
We just got Kafka’s Metamorphosis as a first person platformer.

Next I suppose it’ll be Catcher in the Rye as a Breakout clone, and maybe Romeo and Juliet as a dating sim. Or Lord of the Flies as an empire builder?

Last edited by regnad,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems people are continuing the up the stakes in the unexpected game adaptations bit. Not sure what form this will take (though the bit saying narrated by does not inspire confidence* that it is going to be much more than a visual novel of sorts.

*mind you the narrator in dungeon keeper certainly made the game a lot better than it was, and it was not bad to begin with.

We just got Kafka’s Metamorphosis as a first person platformer.

Next I suppose it’ll be Catcher in the Rye as a Breakout clone, and maybe Romeo and Juliet as a dating sim. Or Lord of the Flies as an empire builder?
Do look up a game called the Void from 2008.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I kind of miss Leslie Nielsen