Homebrew Homebrew app Project Cloud sync homebrew

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
[ To preface, I'm not just posing this idea for someone else to make, I'm gauging interest in a project I'm planning on making. ]

[ Also, skip to the next set of square brackets if you don't care about the why, and you just want to know what the idea is. ]

Managing saves, roms, etc. between consoles is a tedious process if you want to play across different consoles. SDs are tiny, breakable, and slow, FTP is unreliable (and terrible in a lot of other ways but that's a rant for another time), and I've run out of options to discuss because that's pretty much it. It's a very volatile process no matter how good you get at doing it, and I get anxious every time I have to pull my SD card out of my 3ds or wii and put it in my computer. (maybe that's just me being autistic about it, but it's not like i've never had a bad experience shuffling stuff around on the SD cards of my modded consoles)

There's also the matter of backing up your stuff. For the same reasons detailed above, this process is frustrating to me, especially when I have a bunch of different folders in different places that I need to backup individually. There's also the fact that every time you back something up, and you want to make sure you have everything, you've gotta download the whole folder, as (to my knowledge) most desktop file explorers don't have any incremental transfer features (oh yeah, and if you're just dragging files to another device, you have to worry about the extra step of getting those files backed up from said device).

[ Here's the cool part: ]

Essentially, my idea is: you run the homebrew, and it syncs whatever folders you have configured (all in a very backup-able config file) with an equivalent folder on { google drive/dropbox/mega/webdav/whatever else I choose to implement }. You can then go to another console, and do the same thing. And bam! All your roms and saves are synced and backed up, and you can even backup/sync your homebrew, themes, etc. between consoles of the same type! And yes, I plan on making this for many different platforms.

This solves the unreliability problems of FTP (fuck FTP), and you don't have to take your SD card out. It also means you don't need to have a computer as a middleman, and all you need is a wi-fi connection (and admittedly some time to leave your console be while it up/downloads).

IMO, it's a much more elegant and stress-free option, and something I feel is very badly missing from the console modding scene as a whole. But what do y'all think?

Reactions: Chuardo

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
That comes up as a security risk, especially on old hardware.

What makes it any different from, say, installing stuff via something like universal-updater or hShop? If those are what you'd consider insecure then that's fair, but it's a level of security I'm kinda fine with.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What makes it any different from, say, installing stuff via something like universal-updater or hShop? If those are what you'd consider insecure then that's fair, but it's a level of security I'm kinda fine with.
Universal-Updater and hShop are fine, since they both come from their own secure CDN by the server providers. However, if you were to say download your files off Google Drive using your 3DS, using your account's credentials, then it could certainly lead to an attacker trying many ways to find vulnerabilities for that matter.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Firstly, all the big cloud storage providers have an API that you use an OAuth key to authenticate, and HTTPS is a thing that exists. Secondly, is this really a desirable attack target? Like, don't get me wrong, security is a big thing for me too, but who cares if someone gets a hold of your roms and saves?

Reactions: Xyphoseos

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firstly, all the big cloud storage providers have an API that you use an OAuth key to authenticate, and HTTPS is a thing that exists. Secondly, is this really a desirable attack target? Like, don't get me wrong, security is a big thing for me too, but who cares if someone gets a hold of your roms and saves?
its not roms and saves that are just on a 3ds console. You may have other personal info like say. credit cards from when ya used the eshop that attackers would go for.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
its not roms and saves that are just on a 3ds console. You may have other personal info like say. credit cards from when ya used the eshop that attackers would go for.

The sync is selective, you choose which folders get backed up. You don't really need to back up your system credit card info, even if you could (it's stored on the system memory, not the SD so it's a pain) since the eShop doesn't exist anymore.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see as much of a problem with synchronizing data between your 3DS and whatever server/cloud storage as long as it's secure.

That being said due to the slow WiFi speed of the 3DS i can only see this being useful for saves. For actual games you are going to wait a long time for them to upload/download.

angel-val

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, the idea is using it for the data that matters (like saves). Games can always be reinstalled (and keeping the cia files for games around on the 3ds would be dumb anyway) but save data is important. IMO for stuff like ROMs, the wait isn't that long, so especially if i'm just adding a couple and not downloading my whole library. The same applies to homebrew, themes, splashes, etc.

Reactions: Chuardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste