Homebrew Color on Gameboy games in Lameboy?

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are no options in Lameboy for choosing color or not, for all I know. If your question is whether or not you can select what type of machine your running in, like other emulators then I haven't seen this. If you are asking if you need to enable anything special to run Color games, then no, it will play them as they are intended to be. If the ROM your loading is has GBC capability, you will be seeing color.

I know a few emulators out there, like Masterboy on PSP allow you to set which machine you would like to emulate, but I've never tested it in terms of seeing the "non-color" side of gameboy and gameboy color compatible games.

edit; just re-read your post, and yeah, if the game is color, it will run in color. the only time i think this might get confusing is a select few games (harvest moon being the only one I can think of right now) that had BOTH a normal Mono release and a later Color release. Most of the time the file's extension will be denominated with .gb for mono and .gbc for color but that is hardly an effective means of distinguishing them. If you are having problems, like not seeing the color in mono-color compatible games, or getting the error screens in "only for gameboy color" games then I would suggest finding an alternate dump of that rom.

geminisama

Metsu
OP
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Aww. I was messing around with my gf's Mario Land 2, on a GBC; and it made me want to play it on Lameboy with color; but all I get is green or grey. I'll try finding a new dump, but iirc, all my gb games come from a GoodRom set.

camx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OH i'm sorry. I got all confused. But yeah I don't think Lameboy has any other color palettes available. There is the GB Colorizor but honestly I haven't heard of it really working aside from select few games.

I know goomba had custom palettes, but have no idea whether or not lameboy has em.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes I understand what you are talking about, but lameboy does not have that feature. I was hoping to play all my games in the reverse color scheme (down+B on the GBC).
tongue.gif

But the green background color setting replicates the original Gameboy, though I wish there were a way to add the ghosting effect.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately there is no way to do what you're asking. The color data is not stored in the rom itself, so there's no way for the emulator to read it. Instead, the color data is actually stored directly on the GBC's BIOS, with each game having its own entry. Since the GBC BIOS cannot be dumped, we have no way of adding support for the colors.

Well actually, there is a way. We could create our own database of colorizations for each and every game we come across, but this would be both inaccurate and TONS of work, and because of that nobody has really done it. Perhaps someone might feel like re-making the built-in color palettes you can select with the A+B+dir buttons, but certainly not the specific color data for each GB game. Way too much effort.

However, note that Lameboy does have support for games that have a built-in Super Gameboy palette. There aren't too many games that have this palette, but because it's built into the rom, it can be read by the emulator and displayed on screen. Go to the Lameboy options before choosing a game and enable Super Game Boy mode. If the game has a SGB palette or border, Lameboy will display both. The Pokemon games for instance have these, if you want to give it a test. They're not identical to the colorizations that a GBC would give the game, but they work.

EDIT: Also, there's a fork of Goomba (not Goomba Color) that has support for all 32 standard Super Gameboy Palettes, in addition to the game's built-in one (if available). If you have a device capable of playing GBA games, give it a look. SRAM saves can be injected into the Goomba compilation's *.sav file (and extracted back out) if needed. See http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=6910 for details on this fork. Goomba Color by itself has support for any built-in SGB border and palette in addition to only the first 4 standard SGB borders.

eadmaster

Trophies
Website
eadmaster.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
Since Lameboy source code was not released, the only way to have colors on Gameboy (mono) games is hacking the emulator rom.
I think it should be possible to locate where the palettes are stored in the rom and edit them directly.

I'd like to add this palette as the default:

can you help me?

Felipe_9595

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I am sure lameboy support Super gameboy emulation ( i played pokemon red, pokemon brown and kirby dreamland on color)

eadmaster

Trophies
Website
eadmaster.altervista.org
XP
Country
Italy
eadmaster said:
I think it should be possible to locate where the palettes are stored in the rom and edit them directly.
I'm trying to search where the "Green" palette is stored for changing the colors.
These are the hex values of the green palette:
green = 8cc673
light green = e7ffd6
dark green = 397352
black = 001018

I've tried disassembling the rom with IDA Pro, but i heven't find these byte patterns.
Any suggestion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @BakerMan lies, you just want to smoke it

:rofl2:
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good i don't drink, but some rum ice cream... +1