Hacking Consolidation of news after patch 11.8. What to do / not to do it.

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Not safe.
4. Not safe.
Because IIRC, Ninty can now detect if you really own the game (just like on switch).

Wrong. The new verification process only takes place when a request is made to download a game from CDN. It does NOT take place when launching, updating, or connecting to play online.

Reactions: Tac 21 and Noroxus

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn, i hope you are correct sir.

No evidence of tickets being uploaded when you launch a game or play online. Updates have always used update tickets, not game tickets, you could technically download them without even having the base game and you'd be fine. It's all gravy as long as you stop using "eshop alternatives".

butfluffy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it does seem like a lot of the doomsday talk is speculation.
so long as the only downside to 11.8 is not being able to use eshop alternatives on the 3ds then things are not really so bad.
sure it's a pain for people who liked the convenience of using eshop alternatives but all is not lost.
from what i gather we can still download cias from pc apps which access cdn servers and install them with fbi.
we can still launch fbi installed games without any issues.
do we have reliable confirmation that we can safely play fbi installed games online and update fbi installed games directly from eshop?
i'm wondering if nintendo will tweak these measures with future updates to somehow block launching non legit purchased games rather than just blocking cdn downloads and banning consoles.
makes me think that if nintendo could easily block us launching non purchased content they would have done it by now.

Last edited by butfluffy,

hiryuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

1. Do we know if CIA files created by Villian are flagged?
  2. What about homebrew? I run a homebrew app that loads my old DS flash cart on my 3DS. Are homebrew titles installed as a CIA an issue?
  3. Is there a good tutorial for removing CFW from o3DS and n3DS systems? (Last resort for those of us who want to continue to buy games on the eShop and play online)

I have an extra 3DS not attached to my NNID I can use, but I would prefer to use my XL one if it can safely be done.

MegaGenesis

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guess i'll stay on 11.7 for quite a while, or at least until the Devs figure everything about the firmware 11.8. Only thing i can't do is updating my SSB for 3DS (which i have a legal physical copy), it need eShop, but well, i never liked playing that game online...
I wouldf sugest for people not update to 11.8 yet if they didn't did yet. Too there's tons of Youtubers making video tutorials about how to update to 11.8 with Luma, and none of them care to explain what changed in the new firm.

Anyway, thanks for this post, really helped me with some missinformation.

Freqman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
also why did they claim freeshop is not safe? i thought only the other 3ds app that uses CND and Nintendo's eshop servers to download was unsafe,

Last edited by Freqman,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Clarification on some misinformation about the new update

#1 Starting the installed 'cia' game - s̶a̶f̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶1̶.̶7̶ N̶O̶T̶ ̶S̶A̶F̶E̶ opinions differ
#2 Installing the game 'cia' by fbi - safely same as as on 11.7
#3Installing the 'cia' game update via the 3ds menu - safely same as as on 11.7
#4 Playing the online multiplayer game 'cia' - s̶a̶f̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶1̶1̶.̶7̶ N̶O̶T̶ ̶S̶A̶F̶E̶ opinions differ
#5 Using cheat's - not safe, the same as on 11.7

#6 Installing the game through the freeShop program - NOT SAFE
#7Installing a non-owned game through the nintendo store - NOT SAFE

It seems that it is best not to combine cfw 3ds NNID with Switch / Wiiu and use 3DS offline. At least for a few days before we finding out more.
Installing CIA games via FBI, launching already installed games and even playing online with them are all safe. The new tickets are only sent when downloading stuff from the Nintendo CDN (which is how freeShop and similar work)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Probably version 12.0
Probably never, Nintendo never really updated the UI for any of their consoles in any major ways (they did introduce themes on the 3DS and changed the home menu a bit, but nothing major like, for example, the Xbox 360)

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Amapola62

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a question that might be difficult to answer, if one were to download a path of Fire Emblem fates from not very legitimate sources but accessing them from there legitimate cartridge of the opposite path... say downloading conquest but having bought a Birthright cartridge... will they be detected by Nintendo for the wrong ticket for conquest or be fine because Nintendo detects a legitimate cartridge header?...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1d3daJ0HE