Creator of DSfix patch, Durante, opens PC porting studio

ph3_games_logo.png

PC gamers might be familiar with the name Durante (Peter Thoman), a video game modder who has gained fame for "fixing" multiple PC game ports in the past. His most notable patch is "DSfix", a patch for the original version of Dark Souls, which allowed players to bypass the game's 30fps lock. He also made patches for Little King's Story, Deadly Premonition, and Tales of Symphonia. Later on, he would be contracted by XSEED to port both Trails of Cold Steel I and II to PC as well, resulting in positive reception on both releases. Now, Thoman, along with two other co-founders have started up PH3 Games, a studio that helps developers bring their games to the PC platform. Currently, they're already working on an unannounced project, with more to certainly be revealed in the future.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Official Site

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It's become far easier these past few years, though. Many games that have come out in this decade use a pre-built engine that they licensed (like the Unreal Engine) that has the ability to be ported to multiple systems at the push of a button. Now a PC port may still require a little manual tweaking of course, due to configurations, low spec hardware, etc., but it really is not as difficult as it was say 19 years ago or more, when consoles were not using off-the-shelf CPUs like they are now, and relied on proprietary hardware and shit like that.

Oops, forgot to add, that I believe I used DSFix to play MGR: Reveangeance on PC. It had an issue where scripted character animations would get desynced and physics would be messed up when playing the game through HDMI.

Easier yes, but even with things like pre-built engines issues occur e.g. Arkham Knight (UE3).

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always nice to see competent people enter the space. Hopefully they are allowed to make things work and not hamstrung or buried under a list of nonsense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, LOL. Its very sunny, what are you on about?