Hacking Darkcorp and patching/making cIOS's

zakky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I need to be able to launch burnt discs straight from the official disc channel. I have a boot2 Wii with a backup Nand so bricking the Wii is not a concern. The README from DARKCORP lists a bunch of cIOS's that have rev13/17 dip + ES Identify Patch, but it states IOS4 is left untouched.

I have a burnt disc that runs from IOS4v3. Could I just make a cIOS4 so the burnt disc will boot? Or do I need all the other cIOS's too? How do I 'make' a cIOS?

Thank you very much,

- Zack

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I need to be able to launch burnt discs straight from the official disc channel

You really don't.

For goodness' sake, just use a USB Loader and rip your burnt discs with that- it's cleaner, less hassle, and doesn't involve the mess of hacks that strings DARKCORP together.

There's absolutely no use case where DARKCORP makes sense anymore. At all. It's inferior in every single way.

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to run a burnt disc, knowing that a burnt disc can only be read at 3x speed as opposed to the usual 6x speed, making the drive work harder and shortening its life, there are a couple of ways of possibly going about it.

Using Modmii's adv download section (in Modmii classic, blue background with white text, first type 4 to get to download pages then type adv) you can try to use the 24956 cIOS and install it into IOS slot 4. This may or may not work but nothing I know of uses IOS4 so it can't really hurt anything important. I would only try this if you have a IOS4 to reinstall as I can't find it on Modmii or in NUSDownloader. It seems like there is a way to extract a single IOS from your NAND or you'd have to reflash your entire NAND to get it back.

Way back in the time of legend, when Waninkoko still coded, he made a program called IOS Version Patcher. You'd take your game .iso (or a secondary copy) drag and drop it onto the IOSPatcher.exe and just input what ISO you wanted the newly patched game to use. Think I only ever used it to make Mortal Kombat run on IOS249 after I had replaced the main.dol with the MK7.dol. GBATemp has a link to FileTrip near the top of the page, IOS Version Patcher 1.1 is still there, search box is left side of screen little bit down from the top of page.

In either case I do believe you'd also need your SM IOS patched to allow a backup disc to run but if you did the Darkcorp mod then it's already done.

zakky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, that I didn't put in more details. But this is to get a fake RAAE iso/disc to initiate the Insert Wii Startup Disc system menu. I was able to get the menu running on my real NAND. Didn't have a modchip to run burnt discs (my dvd drive is capable of backups btw), so me and some friends tried UNEEK+DI with neek2o instead. We got a little bit closer to our goal. The RAAE iso on the USB ran but the menu said there was an error and said to eject the disc. I think this is a UNEEK problem so only a burnt disc will work.

So that's why I asked about DARKCORP. As I mentioned earlier I have boot2 installed with multiple backups. Even if I didn't have a current backup, I can still use Giantpunes Tools to save the Wii easily. After I read the Readme file of DARKCORP, it stated it doesnt mess with IOS4.

With my current softmod, my cIOS36 allows me to play Mario Kart Wii on the burnt disc from the disc channel. A light bulb in my brain turned on and said "Couldn't we just use a cIOS4?" So I think it's best to try this on my real NAND but with a proper cIOS4 so the Startup Disc menu can read my burnt RAAE disc.

I have a download link for a clean IOS4v3 if someone can patch it. I know it needs a Rev Dip patch. I'm assuming it needs ES Identify and NAND Access patches as well. If someone could do that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Much thanks,

- Zack

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What IOS does the startup disc say it uses if you look at it with Wii Backup Manager? That disc is a very early pre-release and AFAIK it requires the firmware that was distributed with it.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sorry, that I didn't put in more details. But this is to get a fake RAAE iso/disc to initiate the Insert Wii Startup Disc system menu. I was able to get the menu running on my real NAND. Didn't have a modchip to run burnt discs (my dvd drive is capable of backups btw), so me and some friends tried UNEEK+DI with neek2o instead. We got a little bit closer to our goal. The RAAE iso on the USB ran but the menu said there was an error and said to eject the disc. I think this is a UNEEK problem so only a burnt disc will work.

So that's why I asked about DARKCORP. As I mentioned earlier I have boot2 installed with multiple backups. Even if I didn't have a current backup, I can still use Giantpunes Tools to save the Wii easily. After I read the Readme file of DARKCORP, it stated it doesnt mess with IOS4.

With my current softmod, my cIOS36 allows me to play Mario Kart Wii on the burnt disc from the disc channel. A light bulb in my brain turned on and said "Couldn't we just use a cIOS4?" So I think it's best to try this on my real NAND but with a proper cIOS4 so the Startup Disc menu can read my burnt RAAE disc.

I have a download link for a clean IOS4v3 if someone can patch it. I know it needs a Rev Dip patch. I'm assuming it needs ES Identify and NAND Access patches as well. If someone could do that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Much thanks,

- Zack
Rather than use DARKCORP, you can force the system menu and game IOS to IOS249 by using Priiloader. That way you don't modify the system but you get all the same benefits of DARKCORP, and if it causes problems with some things (which it likely will since it replaces every IOS), you can disable it easily.

zakky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is on real NAND. Priiloader gets wiped once I install the RVL-Wiisystemenu-v1 ofc.

I placed a cIOS9 into IOS4 slot with ShowMiiWads since I don't know how to make my own cIOS's. I installed the fake cIOS4 and then installed the Startup Disc system menu. Rebooted Wii, Startup Disc menu appeared then I inserted the fake RAAE burnt disc. After about 10 seconds of the menu checking the Disc, the Wii goes black then the Health Screen appears. I checked the firmware, I'm now on 3.2u (The fake RAAE iso is the old NTSC semi brick fix by Bushing which I hex-edited an ID of RAAE00, updates you to 3.2U)

So I went from my usual 4.1U to Pre-1.0 to 3.2U

So it worked sort-of. I didn't get the updating messages that are suppose to appear after the disc is checked. That should happen if I get a real cIOS4.

Last edited by zakky,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!