FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seen as many around here know one end of a soldering iron from the other I thought a topic at least might want to happen.

Fry's electronics, the major US West coast retailer of computer parts, electrical components, electrical gadgets and other such things has gone bankrupt, shut its doors and ceased online trading as well and all rather abruptly (as in turn up, you are fired, last one out turn off the lights).

Apparently it had been dying for years (I had not been in one for about 10 years I think so missed the general lack of stock and thus sign of a dying business, various comments elsewhere claim they were out of stock of what would be fairly noted items, high value items and more besides for a few years at this point).
Back when though it was actually quite a nice place with a lot of cool bits and pieces. Sometimes a bit pricey (went in there looking for a bag of capacitors and they charged about twice what Maplins in the UK did for the exact same bag and Maplins were already a "damn it, I need it today" price most of the time) but selection was awesome, had some staff that maybe just about knew something, and I can well imagine more than a few learned a great deal in such a place.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/frys-electronics-permanently-closes-stores-164734196.html
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/0...store-closing-retail-tech-economy-job-layoff/

Thoughts on such matters. With Radioshack having gone pop a few years back are you left with anywhere to buy electrical components? I visited a few independents in Washington state last time I was there that were great fun (had a salvage junk room upstairs in one of them even).

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems Company Man decided to make a video covering it and has some more of the background and history (though private company so little nice numbers to look at)

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Every Fry’s I’ve ever been to has been very... ghetto, as well as never having what I needed
And they all smelled weird-
To be honest it doesn’t really affect me. I stopped going to them quite awhile ago. Although I do have some friends who care about that store a lot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu