'Death Stranding Director's Cut' launches on PC today

DS banner.JPG

After first launching on PlayStation, Death Stranding Director’s Cut lands on PC today. Touted as the “definitive version” of Hideo Kojima’s first game since setting up his independent studio Kojima Productions, Director’s Cut brings a host of new features and gameplay elements to the original game.

Having played both the original version of Death Stranding on PC and the new Director’s Cut on PC, I’ll share some thoughts here. There’s no two way about it, Death Stranding is a divisive game and has been so from launch. But when the COVID-19 pandemic hit, the themes and concepts explored within hit close to home; giving a new outlook to the game. I personally enjoyed its take on a fragmented, post-apocalyptic world and the integral parts of hiking across long distances on rugged terrain to deliver packages and connect the world as Sam Porter Bridges. It is an unusual concept and has the corresponding quirky gameplay to boot, requiring you to keep Sam’s balance as he’s out on delivery duty, build structures to assist you in this purpose and grapple with supernatural occurings.

However, it’s a slow-burn type of game, with long stretches of terrain to tread along, many of which could really have been shortened. The game itself stretches for 30-40+ hours; and this, coupled with its apparent tedious gameplay mechanic, might not have sounded attractive to many. These aspects seem to have been accounted for in the Director’s Cut as I see several of the new additions as making the game more accessible and less of a drag to get from one point to the next.

For example, the Cargo Catapult lets you, as the name suggests, catapult your cargo across distances so that you save them from incurring damage while travelling in rough areas. This helps in making the load that you are carrying lighter and in turn helps you travel with more ease.

Another new addition that assists in travel is the Buddy Bot. The latter not only helps you carry some of your load but can even carry Sam. The downside being that your delivery score will be limited to a rating of A at best.

For safer deliveries, Sam is also equipped with evolved stabilisers that come with thrusters that reduce the impact of landing when jumping from higher areas.

Also aiding in this regard are the new Jump Ramps that help Sam cross large distances in vehicles easier and Chiral Bridges which can be constructed where normal bridges cannot. These Chiral Bridges also prevent mules from crossing it thanks to the special ID management system.

These new additions help make Death Stranding feel more forgiving and more approachable than it initially was. However, it’s worth noting that most, if not all, of the new items and equipment are only accessible after progressing through part of the story and/or completing certain missions. Nevertheless, they confer a new feel to the gameplay that could attract newcomers (while arguably offering a different experience from what was initially intended).

new bot.JPG

new bridge.JPG mule.JPG

For returning players, Director’s Cut also brings new content to the table such as the new ‘Ruined Factory’ location and its set of new perils, and there’s the new Racetrack mode where you can compete against other Sam Porter Bridges to achieve the best time to complete a track. Oh, and you’ll also be able to customise BB and Sam’s backpack.

However, these aren’t really reasons to get the Director’s Cut if you’ve already played the game. The major additions are really to ease players and newcomers into the world of a postapocalyptic deliveryman. If you couldn’t get past the tedious aspect of Death Stranding when it first launched, the new assistive features will definitely make it more manageable. If you’ve been on the fence about Death Stranding, then this is the version to try. If you’ve played and enjoyed the game and want to explore its universe some more, Director’s Cut might offer an excuse to jump back in and try the new missions and features without having to buy the full game.

racing track.JPG

BB custom.JPG mission.JPG

Indeed, existing owners of Death Stranding can upgrade to the Director’s Cut version by purchasing it for £8.99 via the in-game storefront (you’ll need to install the original game for that). Afterwards, you’ll be able to transfer across any previous game saves. Those who wish to purchase Death Stranding Director's Cut for the first time can buy it for £34.99.

Death Stranding Director’s Cut is available as of today on PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Recently completed this game on PS5. Really enjoyed it; though it's not perfect. Typical bonkers Kojima story with (typical Kojima) overly long cutscenes.

I enjoyed the core-gameplay ideas and concepts. Quite unlike any other game I'd played before.

Reactions: Prans

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Recently completed this game on PS5. Really enjoyed it; though it's not perfect. Typical bonkers Kojima story with (typical Kojima) overly long cutscenes.

I enjoyed the core-gameplay ideas and concepts. Quite unlike any other game I'd played before.
yeah definitely divisive but if you like Kojima games you'll find lots of that Kojima touch within :) I also enjoyed it but thought lots of sequences could have been trimmed down.

Reactions: shaunj66

Randy Steele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was about to say I was glad I didn't bother getting DS when it was on sale knowing this was going to be released but I seriously didn't expect them to offer an upgrade for cheaper than the game itself (or any upgrade at all knowing how re-releases are these days). Maybe it should've been a free upgrade but ehh whatever.
I might pick it up eventually but it would be hard to play again. It's a long ass game, requires lots of patience and it doesn't get really good till you get upgrades.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto