Gaming Debating on selling my Wii U over my Wii

Fatih120

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was gonna make this into a profile post but I hit the character limit so I'm doing it here!

I need to get rid of nearly everything I own, and so I have a few hoarded electronics I'm selling away because I probably haven't touched these things in years, since I got out of high school. But I'm taking quite some time on whether I want to keep a teen-age Wii U or my childhood Wii. I'm more leaning towards selling off the Wii U even despite it possibly being more of a commodity.

I thought the gamepad was cool when I used to play on it, but I see it now as more of a burden since it's heavily tied to the Wii U at all. I've seen how far CFW has gone and it's all cool since the browser exploit days, but even with the benefit of HDMI, I think I see more personal value in a Wii that has access to GameCube controllers, RC24, and *better* display on Wii due to vWii being blurry and strange on output (not to mention black borders). Having a Wii controller just feels better to me than dealing with the gamepad with its short battery life and baggage. That, along with my memory of the Wii U being slow in general to launch things, and a library that I don't remember too much of (I was honestly playing more VC games, I think), I have my reasons to lean towards the Wii even though a lot more people online seem to say that the Wii U is overall better.

That said, I don't exactly aim to be playing on my Wii in the near future with life stuff. My 2DS, Switch, and especially my Laptop definitely cover all bases, and I don't even use my Switch much either. It's just that if I ever feel the itch to play a Wii U game, the future is now and I assume emulation will have my back to purchase and play a those handful of those games I missed out on. But I do have more of a personal connection with the Wii - and again, if I ever were to boot it up again, it'd probably be faster to set up even with modern TVs and I'd likely be doing it with friends around where we just grab a controller and hop in.

Maybe it sounds like I've already made up my mind, but I'm curious to know if anyone feels strongly on why I should not bother. Don't get me wrong, I did love the Wii U and still think it's cool, but it definitely catered to more of my childhood side than being a console I would actually wanna use again the older I get. It's just a bulkier system and the Wii has been close enough in functionality for my needs over the years.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly, if there arent any wii u games you care about, the wii is an easy choice. the only advantage to the wii u imo is that it also plays wii u games in the same package. but it comes at the cost of worse gamecube compatibility

if the wii u had proper support for gamecube controllers and gamecube games the same way the original wii did, it would be wii u all the way. you can use gamecube controller to play gamecube games with nintendont, with the usb adapter, but nintendo decided that the fucking official wiiu gamecube controller adapter wasn't good enough to be officially usable on vWii, so you cant play vc on wii with a gamecube controller, which was really nice for n64 vc especially

at least gamecube compatibility for the games is mostly the same between wii and wii u, with nintendont, but wii can play the actual discs which will always have perfect compatibility, while nintendont could potentially have issues with some games

then again, if you need to get rid of stuff, maybe you cant really afford to keep so many physical discs around, and you would be playing gamecube games off an sd card with nintendont instead. if that's the case then the wii doesnt necessarily have an advantage for that

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadn’t all the best games from WiiU been released on the Switch?

I’d hang on to the Wii for all the reasoned mentioned above, even a little bit so you can take a trip down memory lane.

Fatih120

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly no Xenoblade X so far! The story sucked but the gameplay was impeccable. But regardless, everything that the Wii U can do better are things that I would just end up doing on a PC or touch screen device anyway. Anyway, I did look into it and if I ended up wanting to emulate to go online it seems that I'd totally have to keep the Wii U, which is fair enough. I don't imagine there's a Wii U game I strongly want to play online for anyway, so I think I'll get ready to factory reset the guy. He had a good run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, FarCry 5 is an awesome game with multiple endings!