Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys, my EZ-Flash from DealExtreme just arrived and I'm thoroughly disappointed.. I haven't done more than load up unpatched roms yet (I'm assuming thats why they didn't save?) and it seems to actually work fine.. but dang. It's ugly as hell. It sticks out a good 1.5mm, forgiveable perhaps, but it also has this huuuge bulge at the top.

It's quite bad, even once inserted into the DS, the middle of the cartridge is raised more than a millimetre (and only in the centre). It looks like it's about to burst and makes it look very unattractive in the DS. It doesn't seem hard to get in, but the bulge is concerning none the less.

Just wondering if this is normal - and if it isn't, if I should bother going through DealExtreme's replacement process (ie do they make me pay post to send it back etc?)

Thanks. I will post pictures if someone confirms this isn't normal.. just looking online though all the pics show it completely flush and with no bulge..

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mine isn't bulgy, though all of them stick out 1mm or so. I got mine more than a year ago, so they may have cheapened it up since then.

You will have to pay return postage to get it replaced, and the new one you get might have the same problem.

Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man, that's pretty fail.. oh well, guess I'll have to live with it
frown.gif

How do I patch the games for saving by the way? (I don't think I want to use the NOR, seems easier to use the PSRAM..)

Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, I don't understand.. what if I want to use the CycloDS GBA loading features (from the 1.4B2 update?) I just patch them with GBATA and they'll save etc? How long is the save preserved on the EZ-Flash, do I need to turn it back on straight away to make sure my save gets stored on the microSD or something?

Bah.. not to mention if I feel like putting a save on NOR.. *brain explodes* .. it's all very confusing. GBA ExpLoader seems to put its saves in a different place too.

EDIT: Would using the EZ4 client to patch GBA roms work with the 3 in 1? Since that seems to trim the roms too.. unless there's another way to do that?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SRAM and PSRAM are different. The SRAM holds the save data whether you run a game from PSRAM or NOR. It will hold the data until its battery dies, which should be a fairly long time.

I'm not really sure how the Cyclo handles GBA games and saves, but with GBA ExpLoader the save for the games run from PSRAM are written to the save file next time you start GBA ExpLoader. The save for the game in NOR is written to the save file when you write a different game to NOR. You can also back up either save manually at any time. There is enough room in the SRAM for both saves, so PSRAM mode and NOR mode won't interfere with each other.

I think you do need to patch the games to get them to save when you run them from the Cyclo. GBATA will work for this no matter how you run the games.

Do NOT use the EZ4 Client unless you only want to run games from NOR. It will cause lost saves otherwise. You can trim GBA roms with NDSTokyoTrim or BatchGBA (you can also use GBATA, but it will only trim one game at a time), but it's not really worth bothering. It doesn't save nearly as much space as trimming DS roms.

Passa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for your help so far.

I trimmed and patched with NDSTokyoTrim (it had a SRAM patch option) but now I get a white screen for most games.. this is really confusing me now
blink.gif
(this is loading through the Cyclo menu).

I might just use GBAExpLoader since it's so highly recommended.. correct me if I'm wrong (just to make sure I understand).. it can store two saves. One for NOR, one for PSRAM. When you load up GBAExpLoader, you need to backup the SRAM to a sav file before loading another rom OR the same rom to make sure it starts with the save.. I can leave the DS off without backing up the save with no fear of it being lost. Right?

Thanks again, sorry for being such a newbie
tongue.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Passa said:
I trimmed and patched with NDSTokyoTrim (it had a SRAM patch option) but now I get a white screen for most games.
For now I'd recommend not trimming, and patching with GBATA (unless you decide to use GBA ExpLoader, it needs unpatched roms). That eliminates the trimming variable, and I know from personal experience that GBATA SRAM patches nearly all games correctly. I've never tried SRAM patching with NDSTokyoTrim. Once you get things working properly you can fiddle with things like trimming or using a different SRAM patcher.

Passa said:
I might just use GBAExpLoader since it's so highly recommended.. correct me if I'm wrong (just to make sure I understand).. it can store two saves. One for NOR, one for PSRAM.
Yes. GBA ExpLoader stores the current saves for both the PSRAM and NOR modes in different areas of the SRAM.

Passa said:
When you load up GBAExpLoader, you need to backup the SRAM to a sav file before loading another rom OR the same rom to make sure it starts with the save..
GBA ExpLoader backs up the saves automatically when needed. You can back up the saves manually if you want (e.g. to back them up to you computer), but you don't normally need to do that.

Note that if you use GBA ExpLoader's multi-save feature (it's enabled by default) it will ask you which save slot to write the save data to each time it wants to back up a save. If you press (B) when it asks you this, it will cancel the save backup, so pay attention before you go pushing buttons. You can disable the multi-save feature by editing the .ini file that comes with GBA ExpLoader (you just remove the # from the beginning of the appropriate line) and placing it in the root of your memory card.

QUOTE(Passa @ May 6 2008, 01:28 AM)
I can leave the DS off without backing up the save with no fear of it being lost. Right?
Right.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
my white 3-in-1 was purchased alittle over a week ago from DX. it fits perfectly flush into my nds lite. i see no visible rise between the kit and the ds itself, nor do i feel one when running my finger of it.

-another world

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The CycloDS has built in support for the ram and rumble functions for the 3in1 but you'll need to use GBA Exploder to transfer games and saves to and from the EZ 3in1. Also yea, all 3in1 stick out a little, its how they were designed but its barely noticeable.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
You will have to pay return postage to get it replaced, and the new one you get might have the same problem.
I was just looking at the DX customer service page, and it looks like I was wrong about this:
QUOTEFor customers in the US, a reimbursement for return shipping fees is available provided that you ship the items back by First Class Airmail (with Delivery Confirmation) or by USPS Priority Mail Flat-rate Envelope to our Miami return address, whichevers fee is lower.

For customers from other countries, please contact us for reimbursement details.
So you might be able to return it at (eventually) no cost to you. I still think you may get another unit with the same unsightly bulge, but I just wanted to correct myself.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
It's ugly as hell. It sticks out a good 1.5mm, forgiveable perhaps, but it also has this huuuge bulge at the top.

BELOW DOESN'T APPLY TO YOU'RE EZ 3-in-1
(read Page 2 Post 1/Post #16)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Umm Just looked at my EZ4 Cart (bought very recently (APR))
Only "bulge" i can see is where the SD adapter is it goes up about a 1mm (about the thickness of a lead pencil lead)
Unless you mean the Bulge that works as a grip to help get the game out
And if your really anal about that you can file it down

My EZ4 Model From the Chip: EZ402 2006.03

Just don't blame me/us if you can't get the cart out anymore

And if you want to camouflage the cart go to auto zone and pick up a can of "Vinyl Dye"
And going off a suggestion i picked up here Mixed with an assumption

Take Cart apart (It works like a hinge) (and make sure no SD is in)
01. Remove Screw (Phillips)
02. Squeeze where the SD was (Lightly Like your trying to close a zip lock bag)
03. The bottom right of the card should pop up (it has a little prong to keep that part of cart down)
04. Slide top part of case down a little bit
05. Lift the top part of the case (where the SD was) And it will open like a hinge
06. Store chip/board In a anti Static Bag
07. Use some steam to get stick off and put the sticker into so Plastic wrap (or another non stick surface)

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO Just re read The topic... Thought you were talking about EZ4...

Anyway Info

the 3-in-1 Has a new chip set that makes it stick up in the middle (if i remember reading right from one place) if you remove sticker you can see the actual chip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But your farts no longer make a sound