OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
IMG_20180225_213149.jpg

IMG_20180225_213256.jpg

IMG_20180225_213218.jpg

Can I upgrade my laptop? Does my laptop support graphic card upgrade? What graphic card does it support & where does it fit?

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There doesn't seem to be a slot to put any upgrades. Just spots were your ribbon cables and other cables belong. Did you try google?

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
That one ^^^^

Although, you could theoretically use an external GPU if you're willing to sacrifice wifi and portability
How does that work?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There doesn't seem to be a slot to put any upgrades. Just spots were your ribbon cables and other cables belong. Did you try google?
There are dell 5558 that have graphic card 820m I guess. Do they have different board? I have checked all dell inspiron 5558 have same instructional manual. That's why I was curious about it....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That one ^^^^

Although, you could theoretically use an external GPU if you're willing to sacrifice wifi and portability
How does that work?

The connection most wifi cards in laptops use these days is a type of PCIe slot. A slow one but one never the less.
You can then fabricate adapters and power supplies such that the graphics card is available to the laptop.

Short version is there's a reason you don't see it done very often these days and there are no simple devices I can link you to do it.

Some also call it eGPU but that term means all different things to all different people.

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are dell 5558 that have graphic card 820m I guess. Do they have different board? I have checked all dell inspiron 5558 have same instructional manual. That's why I was curious about it....
It's soldered on so you'd have to de solder then solder on a better graphics card. If you're wanting a gaming PC, sell this board or the laptop as a whole and put that towards a building $500 PC.

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
The connection most wifi cards in laptops use these days is a type of PCIe slot. A slow one but one never the less.
You can then fabricate adapters and power supplies such that the graphics card is available to the laptop.

Short version is there's a reason you don't see it done very often these days and there are no simple devices I can link you to do it.

Some also call it eGPU but that term means all different things to all different people.
So graphic card is fitted in the wifi slot? & Where's the guide to do these modifications & where can I buy a graphic card for it?

It's soldered on so you'd have to de solder then solder on a better graphics card. If you're wanting a gaming PC, sell this board or the laptop as a whole and put that towards a building $500 PC.
I already have a gaming desktop. Was looking for putting graphic card in the laptop. So I can use some softwares I need to & can use for gaming reason as well.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...iron-15-5558-laptop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

In this guide it says in the video section about the support of nvidia 920m graphic card.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So graphic card is fitted in the wifi slot? & Where's the guide to do these modifications & where can I buy a graphic card for it?

I already have a gaming desktop. Was looking for putting graphic card in the laptop. So I can use some softwares I need to & can use for gaming reason as well.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/a...iron-15-5558-laptop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

In this guide it says in the video section about the support of nvidia 920m graphic card.
No, the following 2015 thread shows what most doing it entails
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/315738-exp-gdc-external-pci-e-x16-adapter-for-laptops/
You won't find too many newer than that as the concept died out not long after that.

The reason that manual might mention another card is because Dell (and most other laptop makers) allow it options at the time of purchase, same as you can get ones with more RAM, more hard drive/SSD, a gloss or matte screen....

Onepunchbruh

Alhumdulillah
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
No, the following 2015 thread shows what most doing it entails
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/315738-exp-gdc-external-pci-e-x16-adapter-for-laptops/
You won't find too many newer than that as the concept died out not long after that.

The reason that manual might mention another card is because Dell (and most other laptop makers) allow it options at the time of purchase, same as you can get ones with more RAM, more hard drive/SSD, a gloss or matte screen....
https://www.computershopper.com/feature/2017-guide-the-best-external-graphics-card-boxes-egpus

So it's kind of worthless because of the budget. I would rather purchase second hand laptop that has 4gb card in it for 600$. Only option left is to sell me laptop......

Anyway thanks for the info/help.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty much, all those are mostly just built for thunderbolt connectors
not to mention you are gonna have some bad cpu bottlenecking

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How does that work?

EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4VMLF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iXXKAbPV7VCDZ
This is what I was referring to. It's a bit clunky, but it gets the job done supposedly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    @BigOnYa thanks but my question isn't there
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ask your questions there, create a new thread if its not already answered, then eventually a 3ds genius will respond.
  • ShinyLuxio @ ShinyLuxio:
    I will, thanks
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No prob and btw, welcome to gbatemp! :grog:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I got some cheapies at wallys, that are pretty good, already have lost a few expensive ones (one falls out and gone, can't find) while cutting grass so bought some cheap ones, and of course never lose these cheap ones. (Cheap meaning only $35, compared to air buds which I only have 1 of 2 now)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They need to add air tags to they airbuds..
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa the airtags are bigger than the airpods, they won't fit
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Be cool tech tho. Of course they want to lose them anyways. Buy and buy again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Apple could make a find my AirPods thing pretty easily
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You would think, esp using bluetooth, not GPS, like a "your getting hot-er" meter on your phone.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think they should tie up diddy, and let all the victims come and abuse him, we'll make a holiday of it every year. (jk, maybe)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm starting to sound like a Tck Gonna cut myself off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not 4th of July yet
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It is in India.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wow, only $700?
  • SnowStormAkikaze @ SnowStormAkikaze:
    Hey :)
    If I book mark the topic where can I read them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with the profile icon highlighted at the top, and the "bookmarks" banner next to it in gray. Click on that icon and you'll get a list of your bookmarks.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Banners we don't need no stinking banners! Lol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [bans you for not taking a bath] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Who bans the banners?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I just did
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just did