Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Unless you have re-written the JIT with ARMv8 support, it won't work...
Ah, I was afraid of that. I wanted to try it anyways because the ARM32 JIT in nds4droid seems to work on my ARM64 phone? I still have a lot to learn about the more complex aspects of programming. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by Hydr8gon,

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never really thought about DS/3DS emulations working well unless you have your screen in landscape mode. Or does the "bottom" screen display on either
@SeannyM Thanks for your effort!
Would it be possible to add a side by side screen layout in landscape mode with one screen being bigger than the other (basically like the Wii U VC handled DS games)?

I second this notion. The Switch has a 5.375 in-wide screen, and the DS Lite had a 2.5 in-wide. Having side-by-side would probably be the most efficient way of going about it, and would still allow us to use our joy-cons easily, and still be able to touch the "bottom" screen in handheld mode. And on the big screen, if using the joy-cons as a stylus is a thing, we get more real estate, which means more precision.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
I don't mean to take over this thread, but would anyone wanna test something for me again? I know MasterFeizz is working on a melonDS port, but I decided to take a stab at it myself for programming practice. I got it working, but since I can't test on my actual Switch right now since it's on 5.1.0, I tested my build on yuzu emulator and was kind of amazed. While DeSmuME can't even reach one single frame per second on yuzu, my melonDS gets at least 3 or 4 fps. I'm really curious to see how it performs on actual hardware. The build is attached to this post. Keep in mind this is a VERY basic build. On your SD card, put a game at SD/switch/melonds/game.nds and put bios7.bin, bios9.bin, and firmware.bin in the same folder. There is no audio or control support, and the colours display incorrectly, but it works! Let me know what happens if you try it out.

Attachments

• melonDS.zip
    451.2 KB · Views: 192

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone report on the performance of melonDS to me? I've been trying for the past couple hours to get homebrew running on my 5.1.0 Switch, compiling Atmosphere, homebrew menu, hekate myself but still not having any luck. I've got the colours fixed for melonDS, but before I work on controls and audio I'd like to know the performance to decide if it's worth continuing.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Can anyone report on the performance of melonDS to me? I've been trying for the past couple hours to get homebrew running on my 5.1.0 Switch, compiling Atmosphere, homebrew menu, hekate myself but still not having any luck. I've got the colours fixed for melonDS, but before I work on controls and audio I'd like to know the performance to decide if it's worth continuing.
I'm on it. Will be back in a few minutes. IllI be testing it on 5.0.2.

Reactions: Hydr8gon

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
@SeannyM tested the newest build melonDS on 3.0.0 and get instant crash on loading app is the address hard coded for roms?
Yes, there's no file picking UI yet. It looks for a rom on your SD card at "switch/melonds/game.nds". You also need the files bios7.bin, bios9.bin, and firmware.bin placed in the same folder.

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The app is working fine on my 4.1 console, Mario Kart booted fast but the game replay was really slow. I cant test more without controls or touch support
2018062413485700-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@SeannyM I tested New Super Mario Bros. and performance was on par with Desmume like 10fps on the intro scene. I also tried Wario Ware Touched and was getting similar results 10 - 15fps max even being 2D on the intro scene. Let me know if you need anything else tested.

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this on 5.0.2 with resident evil. Gets half way, but once it actually gets to the game. It crashes, nice to see a ds emulator on the switch tho.

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Cool, thanks. How does the speed compare to DeSmuME?
I tried super sonic warriors, mario kart and new super mario bros and i realized the games intro is running almost at the same speed in both of them but in my opinion melon is a little bit slower than desmume

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Could someone test this build to see if touch and/or controls are working? This'll be the last test build I post here, after this I'll just wait until I can test on my own again which will be so much more convenient. If I continue on with this I might open a separate thread because this is kind of off-topic from DeSmuME-NX. :P

Attachments

• melonDS.zip
    454.8 KB · Views: 189

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Could someone test this build to see if touch and/or controls are working? This'll be the last test build I post here, after this I'll just wait until I can test on my own again which will be so much more convenient. If I continue on with this I might open a separate thread because this is kind of off-topic from DeSmuME-NX. :P
Quickly noticed an improvement on Wario Ware Touched. I estimate an aprox of 20ish fps. controls and touch screen are working properly. I had similar results with Super Mario Bros. I Noticed like 20ish fps in the menu but as soon as the cut scene started It dropped at almost the same speed it was with the earlier build. Like 10-15max fps. Thanks for working on this. Will be keeping an eye on yours and MasterFeizz's builds.

Last edited by JJTapia19,

Woody601

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please release daily updates as I can test after I'm done at work!

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can test stuff too, if ya need anything ^^

Reactions: Woody601

Hondyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ll test it out once i get back home

Reactions: Woody601

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Fun fact - if you seen someone outside your house, looking inside your window, your not being... +1