Games on Midna's list I played:
  • Vanquish
  • Assassin's Creed 2
Games on Midna's list I did not play:
  • Mario Kart 7
  • CoD MW3
  • Killzone 3
'Kay.

EDIT: And an 83 Metascore is not the glorious 10/10 everyone was expecting.

I'm more outraged at the Assassin's Creed 2 thing. 3/10? You shittin' me? Vanquish is also an outrage. I'd accept a 7/10 AT THE LOWEST but 5/10 on a TPS game that really went streets ahead of other TPS games is rather remarkable.
To be fair, the avg would be much much higher if it wasn't for the 50.

Reactions: 2 people

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of reviews like this.

I haven't played the game, but everywhere else said it was awesome. These reviews just keep doing this for attention and to get rage views on their site.

It doesn't effect my decision to buy the game at all, but it's just annoying. Sure reviews are just opinions, but you shouldn't get paid as a reviewer to have a "bad opinion" (By that I mean, reviewers should be "experts" because they do this for a living. They should agree with each other for the most part).

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Vanquish a 5/10... Really, there is no need for me to even read the review. That game kicks ass inside out!

Maybe he is a little to critical about game that doesn`t fit his taste... I think a reviewer should sometime look broader then his own taste, though as I stated some of his complaints could also be valid in general. But Vanquish 5/10 and MK7 5/10 is ridiculous.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dtoid gives good score someone gets pissed, Dtoid gives bad review someone gets pissed. If anyone actually bothered to read the review, Jim said that the control scheme severely crippled the game, fair enough. I don't see why everyone has to lose their shit about it, its a fair review whether you like it or not.

Opinions, people have them, deal with it

(Personally I'll check out my fiends copy before deciding to get it myself)

Reactions: 1 person

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well but he also criticised Pit hopping to move around (did he forgot that he is an angel with wings?), the game not being adapted to be a TPS (while the touch screen gives high precision controls), the fact that to run you have to quickly move the pad (while this isn't really a problem, like in Brawl).

Also the touch screen not being precise (does he prefer a stick to play shooters?) and the stand itself being an useless add-on that proves the controls are broken (say that to RE Revelations).

His review is as legit as anyone else's, but if you look into the comments, Destructoid readers let themselves be lead by whatever their "reviewer" say.

Reactions: 1 person

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dtoid gives good score someone gets pissed, Dtoid gives bad review someone gets pissed. If anyone actually bothered to read the review, Jim said that the control scheme severely crippled the game, fair enough. I don't see why everyone has to lose their shit about it, its a fair review whether you like it or not.

Oh trust me, I read the review. Fair enough. I just don't agree to the way he REVIEWS IT (especially his scoring criteria). He's way too harsh when it comes to reviewing games in general.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh trust me, I read the review. Fair enough. I just don't agree to the way he REVIEWS IT (especially his scoring criteria). He's way too harsh when it comes to reviewing games in general.
I think people have come to expect too much of scores to be honest, they give you a general idea what how the games are, but its not thee end all be all guide for buying a game. Some people will love games with low scores, some people will loath games with high scores. That's just human nature

That said Jim is always a bit harsh, Id say its cause he's British, but I know better then that.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I think people have come to expect too much of scores to be honest, they give you a general idea what how the games are, but its not thee end all be all guide for buying a game. Some people will love games with low scores, some people will loath games with high scores. That's just human nature

That said Jim is always a bit harsh, Id say its cause he's British, but I know better then that.
Indeed, I don't expect the game to get a perfect score, because let's be honest... It doesn't deserve a perfect score. So far from what I've seen, (and I did play the game demos), it ranges in the 8 for me. That said, It's incredibly addicting and I can't wait to buy it.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

Oh trust me, I read the review. Fair enough. I just don't agree to the way he REVIEWS IT (especially his scoring criteria). He's way too harsh when it comes to reviewing games that aren't First Person Shooters
Fix'd

Reactions: 9 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This right here is why reviewers don't mean shit. I mean I played the game and from like TWO ROUNDS of multiplayer I felt it was a 6.5 not counting weapons, stages, minis, the adventure itself, its clear from how this guy rated over games that he's the "cool" guy in the group.

Libertarian94

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jim Sterling said:
Kid Icarus: Uprising is equal parts tremendous and terrible, with a fine line clearly separating the two distinct territories. Unfortunately, since each stage ends on a sour note, the overall emotion one gains is that of bitter disappointment. It's a game that repeatedly starts strong and ends despicably, and as much as I want to adore it, I ended every session cursing its name. For its humor, its ambition, and its genuinely thrilling flight segments, it deserves a lot of credit. However, everything else it does is a bitter pill to swallow and damages all the genuine good that has been accomplished.
Truly a shame.

Final Verdict:
Mediocre: 5s are an exercise in apathy, neither Solid nor Liquid. Not exactly bad, but not very good either. Just a bit "meh," really. Basically, this is like a "7" on your grandfather's blog.​

I had to post it before someone else did.​

A brief history of Jim Sterling reviews:

Vanquish: 5/10
Assassin's Creed 2: 3/10
Mario Kart 7: 5/10
CoD MW3: 9.5/10
Killzone 3: 10/10

The dude seriously liked that utter piece of uninspiring crap that people refer to as ''Modern Warfare 3''?!

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't even give him the attention, he deliberately writes bad articles for the sake of riling up negativity and get hits.
You're doing exactly what he wants by starting this topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious