Did Nintendo give birth to the Playstation?

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A few of you have seen my Unboxed review of WiiSX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeKuGbJLCrA

However at the beginning I said an unscripted, off the cusp comment saying

QUOTE said:
Nintendo pretty much gave birth to the Playstation and if you disagree with me you're an idiot

Now im starting to get negative comments concerning that statement like;

QUOTESorry how did Nintendo give birth to the playstation?

And im sorry to say but i dont think a guy wearing dark glasses indoors has the right to call anybody else an idiot.

I mean am I wrong. Wasnt the Playstation originally going to be a SNES Addon
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

Don't worry, you're right. Nintendo indirectly gave birth to the Playstation.

SONY was in fact developing a CD-ROM add-on for Nintendo. However, in 1991 Nintendo decided to team up with Philips and the SNES-CD developed by SONY was abandoned. After that, SONY decided to create a stand alone console based on their researched technology and called it the Playstation.

Source

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
by that logic atari gave birth to the NES, and Charles Babbage gave birth to the atari

Not really, Nintendo and Sony worked together to build the hardware and software, so in every meaningful sense of the question, Nnitendo did in fact give birth to the playstation...
snesstation.gif

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Yep, the Playstation is some kind of Nintendo's bastard son.
In fact, the "name" PSX cames form the time Sony and Nintendo worked together (if I recall correctly, it stands for Play Station Xpander / Xpansion, but it can be totally wrong and my mind may be playing pranks on me. But i'm sure that PSX e not the abreviation of Playstation alone).

EnigmaXtreme

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
UltraMagnus said:
by that logic atari gave birth to the NES, and Charles Babbage gave birth to the atari

Charles Babbage never worked with Atari to make the 2600 or pong

and Atari never worked with Nintendo to make the NES (they infact were offered to distribute the NES in the USA originally though they refused)

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait you care about youtube comments? Youtube has some of the stupidest people ever posting there. The lack of braincells on that site is disturbing. Don't worry your right.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Wait you care about youtube comments? Youtube has some of the stupidest people ever posting there. The lack of braincells on that site is disturbing. Don't worry your right.
This. People are wrong on the internet all the time. Don't fret over it.
duty_calls.png

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The Snes also has a sony sound chip in it for sound and music. I believe Sony and Nintendo did work closely side by side before this incident.

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
Awww... If they still worked together, we'd have a Blu-Ray, HD, Six-Axis, Motion Control, Dual-Shock, Backward Compatible, 80GB Wii/Playstation 3...

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jackdanielchan said:
Awww... If they still worked together, we'd have a Blu-Ray, HD, Six-Axis, Motion Control, Dual-Shock, Backward Compatible, 80GB Wii/Playstation 3...

I wouldn't be so sure...

"The Sony PlayStation began as the SNES PlayStation, an add-on peripheral for the Nintendo SNES, but after a dispute between Sony and Nintendo over control of licences, Sony was dropped from the project. Ken Kutaragi, the Sony researcher who had worked on the SNES PlayStation (and the sound chip for the SNES) did not want to give up. He wanted to continue working on this project and so, after some debate, Sony President Norio Ogha approved the start of the Sony Computer Entertainment Division, which would one day account for around half of Sony's revenues. This was Sony's entry into the world of video game consoles and would also mean competition for Nintendo.

Kutaragi worked on this secret project to create a new 32-bit console that was simple yet powerful, easy to program for and cheap. His original concept was first shown at the Tokyo International Electronics Show in October 1991 and due for release in January 1993 for a price of US$200. The system was still going to allow the play of SNES games (just like the SNES CD-ROM that Nintendo and Philips were currently working on) and it was scheduled for release 6 months before the SNES CD-ROM. Sony's PlayStation was presented as a console for both games and educational software, with titles such as: Compton's Enemy Encyclopaedia, Software Toolworks World Atlas, Microsoft BookShelf 1991, Languages of the World, National Geographic Mammals of the World and Mixed up Mother Goose. There were no games announced yet, but with Sony's money and connections within the video game industry, they were able to get third party support a little later down the track. Namco was one of the earliest third party companies to join. They too wanted to get back at Nintendo for their dispute in 1990. Other third party companies soon joined as well.

The PlayStation (a.k.a. PSX) as we know it today is much different. A lot of development was undertaken between 1991 and it's release date of December 2nd 1994 (for ?39 800) in Japan. It was then released in North America on September 9th 1995 (for US$299), selling over 100 000 units in the first weekend of sale, followed by Germany (21st September 1995), the rest of Europe (September 29th 1995) and then Australia (October 13th 1995). Its release was not good news for Sega, whose Saturn console had only just been released. The PlayStation is better than the Saturn in some ways, but the Saturn still has some technical advantages over the PlayStation such as the capability to handle more polygons and better sprite handling in 2D games. But the PlayStation's main edge over the Saturn was that it was much easier to program for, thus developers could make great games very easily for the system and therefore more sales would be made. Unlike the Saturn, the PlayStation has no built-in memory for saving games. Instead, it relies on Memory Cards (sold separately, thus making even more money).

The PlayStation was hugely popular due to its huge library of games (almost 1000) and its cheap price. Just before Sony released the PlayStation 2, they also re-released a newer version of the PlayStation called the PSone. The PSone (released 1999) was a smaller, cheaper version of the system (both cheaper to buy and cheaper to produce - the system has no parallel or serial ports), which allowed people who could not afford the more expensive PlayStation 2 to still get a piece of the PlayStation action (much like what Nintendo did with the NES in 1994 and what Majesco did with Sega's Genesis in 1997). Games for the PlayStation were still continuing to be produced even after 8 years since the release of the original PlayStation."

Taken from here: *snip*

I was almost finished typing when I said, "Screw this," and just copied it from Rom Hustler
tongue.gif

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops. *SLAPS HIMSELF IN THE HEAD* Hehe... Just deleted it.

Anyways, I wonder what Sony would be like if it was still with Nintendo today, but it certaintly wouldn't be all the things we have now combined, like jackdanielchan said.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony was intending to enter the console business anyway. The SNES add on was them just testing the waters a bit and getting a rep in the console world. Also Sony wanted a deal where they had some rights to a few Nintendo franchises in return for this device.

A lot of people reckon that Nintendo dropping Sony was Nintendo's dumbest decision, but come on who would allow Sony to co-own their famous licenses only for them to use them on their own console?

At the end of the day, Nintendo still made a shit load of money from its handhelds and games while the Playstation consoles were popular and now their console is in the lead. I doubt they regret doing what they did.

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated, Nintendo worked with Sony and Phillips to make a SNES add on. Phillips did however get the rights to the characters Zelda, Link, and Gannon from Nintendo and made their own Zelda games. They blew ass.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well nintendo just going behind sony's back and leaving them in the dust is considered one of the worst business decisions in history

the PS1 was born which took the market by storm, then PS2 also took the market by storm taking down everything that dared to challenge it, and became the best selling console in gaming history to date

the tides has changed now, nintendo is way in the lead ahead of everyone
im not too sure why though, I dont know when the last time I played my wii besides playing old GCN games, just got bored of it and focused on the PS3/360 and PSP/NDS instead

Zav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whiles nintendo and sony never got it together... Sony had multiple failed PSones before the one we came to know and love so Sony's experience leading up to PSone was there and it allowed for a competitive system with the N64 then when microsoft joined the fray they had more experience than you would think because of the gaming revolution that took place with windows 98... and now the xbox 360 although weaker than the PS3 is a better system and the wii is just for casual gaming

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3