did piracy really kill the dreamcast?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the old about dreamcast thing on g4 tv had info on this. They lost sales in japan to the ps2. The PS2 was Japan's first real afordable DVD player. By not including dvd play back, there sales dropped like a rock. This proves graphic are not everything. For the most part dreamcast had great graphics for the time.

The whole thing makes me wonder. If nintendo wouldnt of included internet support, wouldn't it have sold as well?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DreamCast had the most 3rd party support of all the console. Even more so than the gbc. PS2's dvd ablity killed dreamcast sales.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Sega still makes the Arcade machines we play on today though. Being back on topic, Sega really was selling technology the was possible earlier. When the released it, it was too late. Sure they could sell it still if they had good marketers and advertisers (Like the Gamecube. It still sorta counts as a success due to exclusive titles and the homebrew scene but i think the lack of native dvd playback that PS2 had let it down a little and the fucked up netplay because GCN used mini dvd and had no ethernet port.) Dreamcast has great online features however.

MMX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think bad marketing, the failure of the Saturn and not having EA killed it. They had neither FIFA nor Pro Evolution Soccer on it - a major mistake in europe.

antimatter

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
well... creating backups wasnt as easy as everyone is saying in this thread. you had to have that special adapter in your dreamcast to actually transfer the "GD-ROMS" content to your computer. Which took ages if i remember correctly, cause it was sending the data over the modem port. The burning of the iso you get can be done by an idiot though. however, the internet was pretty different 10 years ago. wasnt that easy to find isos of already converted games. ultimately it wasnt the piracy, but the other consoles that killed the DC imo.

r3dfaction

Trophies
Website
phyzorg.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
People.... stop thinking that pirate/warez users are billions of people, there just a couple million people who download games (not sure about movies and PC programs), let me clarify this, frequently (such as everyone who visits this site). Not everyone pirates games, most people don't even know what an emulator or a .rar extension even is. Let alone download games (specially ISO's).

UltraMagnus said:
Piracy never killed anything, that is just capitalist propaganda.
Agreed

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
r3dfaction said:
People.... stop thinking that pirate/warez users are billions of people, there just a couple million people who download games (not sure about movies and PC programs), let me clarify this, frequently (such as everyone who visits this site). Not everyone pirates games, most people don't even know what an emulator or a .rar extension even is. Let alone down download games (specially ISO's).
And then there is others that pay for people to do it for them.

r3dfaction

Trophies
Website
phyzorg.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Prowler485 said:
r3dfaction said:
People.... stop thinking that pirate/warez users are billions of people, there just a couple million people who download games (not sure about movies and PC programs), let me clarify this, frequently (such as everyone who visits this site). Not everyone pirates games, most people don't even know what an emulator or a .rar extension even is. Let alone down download games (specially ISO's).
Exactly why I had to clarify :look at Bold:

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
r3dfaction said:
Prowler485 said:
r3dfaction said:
Exactly why I had to clarify :look at Bold:

Yeah...think about the current health care system in the USA..........the vast majority of people have a private health insurance, which pays for nearly everything, and then there is a minority of people ( like immigrants ) that can't benefit of that insurance.......
Now prices here if you go to a doctor are out of this word !
My brother went for a gastroscopy ( or whatever it's called ) without insurance and the doctor said it was gonna be like $ 1000 !
A simple check ( 5 minutes ) by a doctor can be like $ 300 and up !
So basically we are in this situation because people with insurance don't worry about it, so the doctors and hospitals charge whatever they want, and it's usually a lot more then it should be.....because ( I heard ) they take in account also those who don't have insurance and never pay their bills anyway ( like giving fake information , address and so on ).
So the point is that much like the health system, piracy gets off by millions of people that buy legitimate products.
The good overweights the bad IMO.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Arctic said:
If you ask me piracy has really only hurt the PC.

It badly affected the Amiga as well. The claims that piracy killed the Amiga were exaggerated because it started to lose out to consoles like the MegaDrive and SNES, but near the end of it's lifespan piracy was like a plague. Similar to how the DS is now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PiiXM51oBo