Not open for further replies.

webpanel0815

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi,
can anyone explain to me what's the exact difference between a PKG and a FPKG. I know the F means fake but what does it mean and when do I need a .pkg or .fpkg?

Cheers

webpanel0815

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I always need fake packages to run it on a jailbroken console? Can I also update them with updates from ps4database?
When can I use retail packages?
Are scene releases pkg or fpkg?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I always need fake packages to run it on a jailbroken console? Can I also update them with updates from ps4database?
When can I use retail packages?
Are scene releases pkg or fpkg?

You need fpkg format to run on 5.0x exploited PS4, no the update from ps4database doesn't work as they are retail they need to be repackaged, scene release are currently only fkpg. You can't use retail package until there is permanent CFW and the master key is obtained.

webpanel0815

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Can you link me a tutorial on how to repackage a pkg update to work on fpkg games?
I only can find tutorials where I need the original disc and create a dump of the fully updated game which I dont have atm.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you link me a tutorial on how to repackage a pkg update to work on fpkg games?
I only can find tutorials where I need the original disc and create a dump of the fully updated game which I dont have atm.

That is how it have work so far, where you have to dump the retail file and then convert them.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
can anyone explain to me what's the exact difference between a PKG and a FPKG.

The difference is in the cryptographic key used to sign/encrypt the packages. The full definition should be "packages signed with fake keys" or "fake signed packages", but it's usually abbreviated to "fake packages".

P.S. I don't know all the details of the DRM (digital restriction management) implemented on the PS4, like what kind of encryption scheme is applied or what kind of cryptographic sign/digest is used but if you have a cursory C knowledge you can examine the available HEN implementations (also the document released by flat_z more than an year ago can help) and you should easily find where the HEN patches the live system in regards to keys management.

Last edited by MostlyUnharmful,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
The difference is in the cryptographic key used to sign/encrypt the packages. The full definition should be "packages signed with fake keys" or "fake signed packages", but it's usually abbreviated to "fake packages".

Following with the wonderful explanation, this is why a game has first to be dumped decrypted then fake signed. We don't get to know what was the original signature, but it's not like it matters much as you can dump the game decrypted if it's running in the system.

Of course, that last requirement makes impossible to dump newer games on newer firmwares due to lack of public exploits and also to run newer games on current exploited systems due to firmware version limitations (Not only the versioning, actual code changes required).

kiramashi

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

P.S. I don't know all the details of the DRM (digital restriction management) implemented on the PS4, like what kind of encryption scheme is applied or what kind of cryptographic sign/digest is used but if you have a cursory C knowledge you can examine the available HEN implementations (also the document released by flat_z more than an year ago can help) and you should easily find where the HEN patches the live system in regards to keys management.
So basically PKG is packages that need a key to like open it and FPKG is packages thats already open without a key. Is that it?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: zfreeman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.