Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

• Thread starter yugix
  • Start date
  • Views 1,597,023
  • Replies 2,283
  • Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

• Stick with Japanese names for all names.

Votes: 141 27.9%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

Votes: 365 72.1%

• Total voters

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I came across this in my googling.
rr1MX1F.jpg

That's Motherboard Continent on the left and Graphics Board Continent on the right.

I'd be okay with something like Grabo Islands, based on the fact that it's a large island with a smaller one nearby. I guess Mobo Province or something would work, since that fits within the 13 char limit, albeit just barely.

Reactions: Black-Ice

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I came across this in my googling.

That's Motherboard Continent on the left and Graphics Board Continent on the right.

I'd be okay with something like Grabo Islands, based on the fact that it's a large island with a smaller one nearby. I guess Mobo Province or something would work, since that fits within the 13 char limit, albeit just barely.
or island works too. for both.

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is starting to sound more like a localization than a translation. What we call the continents should be derived from their actual names.

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see. Given the restrictions, I would leave the Continent part out altogether (rather than changing it to zone/land/islands) and just call use their names in some way. Grabo and Mazabo would work. The Japanese add that word "Continent" to the end of every continent's name. "Africa Continent" for example. We would just call it Africa in English.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is starting to sound more like a localization than a translation. What we call the continents should be derived from their actual names.

An integral part of translation is localisation.
There's the "lets keep it original" argument but there's also user friendliness and general readability. You'll be surprised how much is localised in official EU/NA releases of japanese games. We're being quite mellow with localisation if you ask me

Oh, I see. Given the restrictions, I would leave the Continent part out altogether (rather than changing it to zone/land/islands) and just call use their names in some way. Grabo and Mazabo would work. The Japanese add that word "Continent" to the end of every continent's name. "Africa Continent" for example. We would just call it Africa in English.
Grabo and Mazabo doesnt describe anything. (not to mention I just dont like "mazabo" as a word)
A synonym for land is needed.

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are, yes, but part of my excitement about this project stemmed from the fact that we would actually be getting a faithful English version of a Digimon game for once. Anyway, my point about continent naming conventions still stands. Calling the continents simply Grabo and Mazabo would be a perfectly idiomatic translation, without any need to mess around too much with the names.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A faithful English translation would require faithful, thoughtful names.
Not only do Grabo and Mazabo by themselves basically not describe anything, they give off the impression of a half-assed effort.
Sorry but in a project like this, everything matters.

Reactions: dimmidice

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A faithful translation requires us to pull names out of our ass instead of using the ones in the game itself? We can see that they're intended to be land masses, and know from the original game that they're supposed to be continents. Grabo and Mazabo (or some other romanization) work fine. As for looking half-assed, I run a small proofreading business, and I only correct mistakes that actually need correcting. I shouldn't make unnecessary changes to justify my job.

Black-Ice

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The names we have suggested are all related to the translation names. You're not getting my point and this year my resolution is not to speak to walls.

In the end its up to the guys running the project, but as a member of the Localisation division for this project I request we look into Mirby's ideas.
This project was my reason for joining Gbatemp. I want it done right.

Reactions: Mirby

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we both want this done right. I too came to GBA Temp because I saw this project and the promise it had. In my opinion, the "right" way to go about it was not to use name changes like "digivolution," which I remember you disagreed with. I see this as part of the same discussion. I've had my own minor part to play in getting the game ready, and my focus has always been on maintaining the integrity of the original game while making it understandable to English-speaking players. If I'm overruled by everyone else, so be it, but I'm entitled to my opinion.

Mirby

Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to keep as faithful as I can to the original game (which I loved enough to play through completely despite having no clue what the hell was going on) while also making it interesting.

-Mobo is short for Motherboard. That's what that continent is. So by using Mobo as opposed to Mazabo, we're freeing up 2 characters while retaining the actual meaning, and when there's a limited number of characters (13 in this case), every little bit helps. Otherwise we might end up with poorly truncated names that don't look good.

-I like how Grabo sounds, so I want to keep that one. That keeps it quite faithful to the original.

-In terms of using Island instead of Continent... well continents are generally really really really big islands if you think about it. Not only that, but I also chose Island as a nod to Adventure, where they start out on File Island.

-Using Province for Mobo is a way to avoid having both areas be called Island, but I'm okay with using Island for both if others choose to.

I'm doing my best to keep it faithful to the original game while also keeping in mind character limit and meaning and if I can, throwing in nods to past seasons if I can. I figure that's fair.

@Garysia: Even if we did East Continent and West Continent, it would exceed the character limit. Plus that's changing their names a bit too much.

TMS1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you decide to use Island (or any other word, for that matter), I would use it for both of them.

Seqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi guys!

I sent a PM to the original poster about helping out on this project.
I haven't received a reply yet, but I figure I might as well join the discussion if you don't mind?

Mobo Island sounds good, but Grabo sounds completely weird in my opinion. Did anyone think of shortening island instead of the actual names? Mainboard Isl. and Graphics Isl. are both exactly 13 characters. I know "Graphics" might not suffice for Graphics board, but since we don't have the same abbreviating culture in English as they have in Japanese (Pasokon, Gurabo, Terebi, Sutaba...) I think we should avoid these Japanisms.

As for the "faithful translation" part. If you speak more than one language and have been translating between them in a professional setting, or even just for fun, you know that it's a true art to find just the right balance of faithful to the original language and natural in the end language. A 100% faithful translation would be unnatural and amateurish to the end user, while a 100% natural/localized translation might take elements away from the original story or what the creator of the original wanted to tell the user.

Reactions: Black-Ice and Mirby

Mirby

Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Well Grabo is actually used in places, and though not exactly the same, the similar sounding Grado was the empire you fought against in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, so it's not like similar things haven't been used before.

I'd also like to avoid using abbreviations for Island like Isl. and stuff, if possible. That's just me.

And yeah, I agree with you on that part about the balance between being faithful and localization.

Seqa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Well Grabo is actually used in places, and though not exactly the same, the similar sounding Grado was the empire you fought against in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, so it's not like similar things haven't been used before.

I'd also like to avoid using abbreviations for Island like Isl. and stuff, if possible. That's just me.

And yeah, I agree with you on that part about the balance between being faithful and localization.

Using abbreviations on the actual names is worse than using it on Island/continent/what have you, imo. In English, you actually see Isl. used on maps and stuff so it would make more sense than shortening Grabo. However, there would need to be consistency. We couldn't call one "Mobo Island" and the other Graphics Isl.

Mainframe Isl. and GPU Continent

Idk, and I guess there's a difference between GPU and Graphcs Board, but with only 13 characters to work with...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...