clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
from what games that have been added to the PSN store from last week it seems like it will only be 10%.
Example: Hot Shot Golf $39.99(retail) $35.99(digital)
Uncharted Golden Abyss $49.99(retail) $44.99(digital)
Some third party titles are $34.99 apparently for digital. Maybe they'll be varied? I mean its only a dollar, but still.

I noticed but some are also full price ala UMVC vita is $39.99 at both retail and digital.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested in digital Vita games here are the PSN sizes for the US versions of these games.

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend - 3399 MB
Dungeon Hunter Alliance - 1046 MB
EA Sports FIFA Soccer - 2896 MB
Escape Plan - 843 MB
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - 1155 MB
Lumines: Electronic Symphony - 722 MB
ModNation Racers: Road Trip - 1495 MB
Rayman Origins - 932 MB
Super Stardust Delta - 208 MB
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 1378 MB
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - 2977 MB
Virtua Tennis 4 : World Tour Edition - 1227 MB
Wipeout 2048 - 1635 MB

These are all the games I purchased so far still waiting for more to be released next week.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what games that have been added to the PSN store from last week it seems like it will only be 10%.
Some third party titles are $34.99 apparently for digital. Maybe they'll be varied? I mean its only a dollar, but still.

I noticed but some are also full price ala UMVC vita is $39.99 at both retail and digital.
I'm beginning to think the discount is up to the publishers rather than Sony.

For anyone interested in digital Vita games here are the PSN sizes for the US versions of these games.

Escape Plan - 843 MB
Rayman Origins - 932 MB
Wipeout 2048 - 1635 MB

These are all the games I purchased so far still waiting for more to be released next week.
You really bought all those games?

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just cant make myself get the digital copys (though i appreciate that sony is actually doing the games day and date for 5$ less) ...but its only 5$...for 5$ more you can probably get 15~ in trade in twords another game. Also the stupidly overpriced memory sticks just make it even worse.

If you trade that is. Not everyone trades games honestly, it's something I've never done.

Also, for the record PC digitally distributed games are usually $10 cheaper than the retail console versions at launch (depending on the game, that is), so make of this what you will.

Yeah it seems a bit weird that PC digital downloads are a bit cheaper than what the current titles on the PSN go for. The only time I went for digital downloads instead of the physical copy was with some of the HL2 era games on Steam, but that was mainly since even the physical copies required steam anyway so there was little advantage to it, and I thought the actual box for HL2 especially was a bit drab.

If they were about $10 cheaper on other networks(Future 3DS downloads, PSV) then I think that they could move onto pure downloadable distribution much sooner. That was one of the many things that caused the GO to fail, but it had the potential to change the way the game market worked for their consoles

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I'm beginning to think the discount is up to the publishers rather than Sony.

Escape Plan - 843 MB
Rayman Origins - 932 MB
Wipeout 2048 - 1635 MB

You really bought all those games?
Yep, I'll be buying a few more games next Tuesday as well.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it seems a bit weird that PC digital downloads are a bit cheaper than what the current titles on the PSN go for. The only time I went for digital downloads instead of the physical copy was with some of the HL2 era games on Steam, but that was mainly since even the physical copies required steam anyway so there was little advantage to it, and I thought the actual box for HL2 especially was a bit drab.

If they were about $10 cheaper on other networks(Future 3DS downloads, PSV) then I think that they could move onto pure downloadable distribution much sooner. That was one of the many things that caused the GO to fail, but it had the potential to change the way the game market worked for their consoles

Simple solution: non-PC digital distribution is shit for customers.

Ever go to Games on Demand on Xbox Live? It's a complete joke. Game prices are usually $10 more on Games on Demand, the exact opposite of what I was demonstrating. Here's a rough example: A quick Amazon search shows Mortal Kombat (the most recent one) at about $40 new, the Komplete Kollection (coming soon) is about $60 (which includes all the DLC). The regular version on Games on Demand is $60. YEAH NICE MICROSOFT.

PC digital distribution sees it as "you're missing the physical packaging so here's a price discount" while console digital distribution sees it as "You're getting it quickly so we're making it more expensive". One of those is bullshit, I'm sure you can tell which one.

EDIT: For the record I remember Microsoft saying pretty much the same exact reason to justify the abnormal price gaps.

I'm glad to see the Vita taking a step in the positive direction but it's certainly not enough. If they did a similar move when the Go came out then it'd be a lot better (maybe not Go sales but certainly their digital distribution services).

Reactions: 1 person

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
You'd be crazy to favor digital download vs retail copies for cost reasons. For one, there is the trade-in factor which has already been discussed. But also, when sales drop for a particular game or it's overstocked, you can feast on massive discounts whereas w/ digital the prices tend to stay frozen for a longer time. (considering past trends on PSN)

Bottom line: retail will be cheaper in the end. I promise you that.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd be crazy to favor digital download vs retail copies for cost reasons. For one, there is the trade-in factor which has already been discussed. But also, when sales drop for a particular game or it's overstocked, you can feast on massive discounts whereas w/ digital the prices tend to stay frozen for a longer time. (considering past trends on PSN)

Bottom line: retail will be cheaper in the end. I promise you that.

Well it depends though, I don't look at the trade-in factor at all seeing as I have never traded in games. I still have a whole bunch of my old SNES carts and lots of titles from the PSX/PS2 eras. Trading them in for a minor discount on a new title doesn't really seem too good. I might aswell just sell them privately if I really wanted to get rid of them..

But you are right about price drops though, which is why I would likely not go completely in favour of Digital Downloads. If the digital download was cheaper at the time I was shopping, I would likely get it (assuming it is more than $5-$10 cheaper than EB Games sells for), but on that same token, if the physical copy underwent massive price drops (I'm looking at YOU FF-13) then I would be stupid to go for the digital copy if they didn't budge.

I see Digital downloads being a much better idea when it comes to portable gaming since you don't want to drag your entire collection around if you like to swap games alot (This is why I have a DS flashcart and hacked PSP). But for console gaming I don't really care too much if I have a physical copy for most games, but if there was a cheap special on the PSN I wouldn't pass it up just so I can have the actual disc.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Got my preorder discount code today but am only offered 4 games to choose from:

Little Deviants™
Super Stardust™ Delta
Hustle Kings™
Escape Plan™

Obvious choice for me is Escape Plan.
This is for the PSN download of the game so glad I picked up a 16GB card.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my preorder discount code today but am only offered 4 games to choose from:

Little Deviants™
Super Stardust™ Delta
Hustle Kings™
Escape Plan™

Obvious choice for me is Escape Plan.
This is for the PSN download of the game so glad I picked up a 16GB card.

that part of the free game for the 3g bundle of UK exclusive deal?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk