Hacking [Discussion] Install DS Profile exploit with Download Play?

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Since the DS download play titles have to be signed to run on the 3DS, it seems as others have suggested the best method would be using an already signed title and then exploiting a vulnerability in that to execute the needed DS code. While possible I don't think many would be interested because the DS cards are so cheap and we already have the web browser as an entry point. However it does sound like a cool project.
A cool project, but I can't seem to remember of any download play that uses save data or can have data input (like bangai-o (it's not a demo)) so there no way to run the exploit (I guess)

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
A cool project, but I can't seem to remember of any download play that uses save data or can have data input (like bangai-o (it's not a demo)) so there no way to run the exploit (I guess)
I thought the same originally, however download play titles usually have a strong multi player element to them so the target would have to be the communication protocol between the two games. That would also mean having control of the original game to send malformed data. I've been reading about some attempts and while it seems possible it hasn't actually been developed at all.
http://pineight.com/ds/pass/

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
Did someone see the smeas regionfree hack? It uses ds download play (ds mode)

smealum region free hack relies on Download plays access to the ns:s service, which then is used to launch the game. I'm curious if this has any implications for accessing the DS profile.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
smealum region free hack relies on Download plays access to the ns:s service, which then is used to launch the game. I'm curious if this has any implications for accessing the DS profile.

No.
The profile is stored in mset savedata IIRC.

As for the download play thing, I think it was fixed with a certain DS fw version.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
From my understanding flash me patched the DS firmware so that it wouldn't check for signatures on download play and normal carts. That way you could run DS flahs carts

That was added later for the new DS fw. Early DS fw don't have this check.

WaterBotttle

Trophies
XP
Country
If we were going to do this over Download Play wouldn't something like Desmume be better idea that an actual DS. That would remove the problem with the Firmware version.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
That was added later for the new DS fw. Early DS fw don't have this check.
But the server DS (the one that's going to send the file) can be any flashcart compatible DS or even emulate it with a PC if you have the proper WiFi device, the issue is the 3DS that's looking for those signatures and not letting homebrew to run.

If we were going to do this over Download Play wouldn't something like Desmume be better idea that an actual DS. That would remove the problem with the Firmware version.
Desmume cant have direct access to a wifi card to emulate a DS in local multiplayer (if thats what you mean for using the desmume)

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
But the server DS (the one that's going to send the file) can be any flashcart compatible DS or even emulate it with a PC if you have the proper WiFi device, the issue is the 3DS that's looking for those signatures and not letting homebrew to run.

Desmume cant have direct access to a wifi card to emulate a DS in local multiplayer (if thats what you mean for using the desmume)
I was talking about the receiving DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds.